Julio

So, I recently had Full Metal Alchemist recommended to me. I'd heard that Brotherhood was better, so I watched the first episode of that, and then watched the first episode of the original. I found that I VASTLY preferred the original first episode. 

Which do you guys think is better? Which would you recommend to me, who's only seen the first episode of each? 

I watched FMA first, and then Brotherhood when it was out. I don't think it matters if you watch FMA first, that's how the fans before brotherhood watched it, but if you are only going to watch one, then FMAB since that's the author's original. The manga was only at volume 7 or so when FMA started and the animation studio just went with their own. Watching FMAB first might make FMA less enjoyable, maybe? Or maybe not. Most people seem to prefer FMAB. I loved both.

Ok, thanks. I'll probably go with FMAB, then. It's just that after seeing the first episodes of both, FMA had MUCH better exposition. They actually explained things, and did so in a way that made sense narratively. FMAB had a guy talking to himself about elementary things that he already knew. Does that get better?

On 21/09/2017 at 7:20 PM, Julio said:

So, I recently had Full Metal Alchemist recommended to me. I'd heard that Brotherhood was better, so I watched the first episode of that, and then watched the first episode of the original. I found that I VASTLY preferred the original first episode. 

Which do you guys think is better? Which would you recommend to me, who's only seen the first episode of each? 

FMAB has anime original first episode. FMA has the whole second half anime original. Needless to say anime original content is the most problematic in both anime. I would personally skipping the first episode of FMAB (but since you watched it already, that's too late), and watch the rest of this anime. I wouldn't touch the first FMA with a two meter pole. I mean it's good, but the only good part are already in FMAB eithwe way, and the rest is simply a mess. 

FMAB is definitely better them FMA. But I found that FMAB rushes through the early events of the manga, as if assuming that it's viewers had already seen FMA and therefore not as much screentime is required to re explore these scenes. So if you're starting with FMAB it may be hard to keep up. I would recommend watching FMA up until the point where the plots diverge, then switching back to FMAB.