Oathbringer

So... does anyone else find it significant that Dalinar, who is receiving the video blog of the Almighty, is also the wielder of a Shardblade named Oathbringer?

This whole novel revolved around the oathpact being broke and historical oaths being forsaken, and Dalinar who is being told to "unite them" and that the "knights radiant must stand again" is the one who bears the sword Oathbringer.

I agree with another thread that says Syl is just unhappy with Oathbringer itself and not shardblades in general, but if she is upset with them in general it would be because of the oaths abandoned I'd think, since she is Honorspren.

Is there any mention in tWoK that I've missed that talks of sword names and where they come from? Since swords are usually captured in combat, how is the lineage traced if the names are historic?

It really depends on who exactly named the blade that. If it's one that's lasted since the time of the Heralds, then it might be important, but if it's one that it's gained by reputation or given to it by an owner since then, probably not. Then again, you have to keep an eye out for symbolism, it's hard to tell when it will or will not play a part in the story. Then there's the fact that now

Sadeas has it.

Drat, you've found the main flaw in my idea that it's important! :lol:

But seriously though. I feel there is something to this, given that we only ever learn the name of two shardblades, Oathbringer and Sunraiser. One wielded by Dalinar, the other by King Elhokar.

We see numerous other shardblades throughout the book, a couple from viewpoint characters, but these are the only ones we ever hear named.

You're right to question the origin of the names since we don't know it. It will be interesting to see how these characters develop in the coming book/books. See if Elhokar becomes a beacon of Honor or not. See how Dalinar works going forward...

See if Sadeas starts to become more honorable with the blade or not

I just feel that the names wouldn't have been included by Brandon if they weren't important in someway, he's not as frivolous as that. Though I could be reaching for foreshadowing & ties where none exist!

Edited by Green Hoodie Mistborn

Other sword(s) named:

Nalan'Elin carries retribution, which seems to fit with his primary attribute.

I don't think that is a named sword per se, but it would be a Dawnshard since Nalan is one of the Heralds, right? I'm thinking it's not the sword's name because in the passage it's in lowercase, whereas Oathbringer and Sunraiser are both capitalized when mentioned.

cutting a scene of Nalan’Elin, emitting sunlight, the sword of retribution held over his head.

Sanderson, Brandon (2010). The Way of Kings (Kindle Locations 5935-5936). Tor Books. Kindle Edition.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that is a named sword per se, but it would be a Dawnshard since Nalan is one of the Heralds, right? I'm thinking it's not the sword's name because in the passage it's in lowercase, whereas Oathbringer and Sunraiser are both capitalized when mentioned.

Honorblade, not Dawnshard. We don't yet know what the Dawnshards are, but the are not the Heralds' swords. Brandon has explicitly referred to thes swords as Honorblades.

• Chaos locked this topic