Lyft and Surge of Abrasion

XenosHg

Between Edgedancer and Oathbringer, I'm wondering about Lyft's surge and its creative uses.

She's usually lowering friction, transforming into some skating warrior, but edgedancer shows her long-jumping by covering herself with power. The question is: If Kaladin holds Lyft, and she makes them both slick, can he fly/fall faster thanks to no air resistance?

And, on the opposite side, can she create friction instead of lessening it? Does it help climbing a montain when your hands don't slip? How steep is a cliff you can just run up? Can you use a fabrial or ask a fellow soulcaster to cover the battlefield with ice, and then become the only person who doesn't fall over?

Scientifically, air resistance is just the friction between an object and the air, so it would speed him up, but not very noticably for the first part of the flight. However, it would remove terminal velocity or, at least, lower it lots.

As she is shown to be able to climb walls, therefore showing she can create friction, climbing mountains would be fine, running on ice would be much easier than usual, and a cliff face would still be hard to run up, but with enough stormlight, you could theoretically run up a wall not unlike a windrunner, however it would probably take a lot more concentration and stormlight, as they have to focus on the wall and their body multiple times, instead of just a single lashing.

Edited by KhanBoltNo4503

She should be able to increase as well as decrease friction. We haven't seen her do it yet though (the times she climbed she used Wyndel, not Abrasion). 

I think that we've seen only part of what Abrasion is capable of. It's great for locomotive use, but in combat removing all friction from an enemy would destroy their footing and balance. 

I think Abrasion is also why the dustbringers are associated with fire. If you use Division to break molecular bonds, friction increased via Abrasion would produce heat, and many many elements are combustible. 

She can certainly get more skilled and increase or decrease in a controlled way

Q: So Lift is having trouble with the physical aspects of Edgedancing. Could she actually increase friction with her surge to give her better control?
A: This is the sort of thing that she needs to learn how to do, is to modulate the amount of friction she creates in various places. But you know it’s also skill-based, there’s a lot of practice involved in things like this but, yes, uhm... If you look at the other surges you could probably guess that she is capable of much more than she has expressed so far.

The edgedancers were referred to as iirc the most elegant of Orders so I'm expecting to see a lot of ninja stuff from her 

57 minutes ago, Calderis said:

We haven't seen her do it yet though (the times she climbed she used Wyndel, not Abrasion). 

I'm not sure if it's an acceptable source or not (I haven't really had much activity on here) but i found this on the coppermind:

'She can also use it to increase the friction of herself, making it extremely easy to climb walls with even the slightest handholds.'

4 minutes ago, KhanBoltNo4503 said:

I'm not sure if it's an acceptable source or not (I haven't really had much activity on here) but i found this on the coppermind:

'She can also use it to increase the friction of herself, making it extremely easy to climb walls with even the slightest handholds.'

Oh I know she can. We haven't seen it yet in book but the surge has got to be able to work both ways. 

It's just notable that so far she's used Wyndel to climb, because she shouldn't be able to touch him but can. 

• Chaos locked this topic