Not really new, but never formally introduced myself

phoenix2563

So, hello everyone.  Never officially introduced myself, but since I have officially "reactivated" myself over the past month I thought this would be a good time for an introduction.  

I am from Houston, TX (and very lucky to live by a bookstore Brandon likes to frequent) and besides the hot/humid weather around this time of the year love living here.  I have a family of four and they keep me plenty busy especially since my kids are still very young.  I am an accountant by trade, and enjoy reading, video games (especially the Final Fantasy series), travelling to different cultures and cooking (not in any particular order).

I started reading fantasy primarily in college, when I had a roommate who was really into it.  My first high fantasy thanks to this roommate was Amber by Roger Zelazny (still my favorite too), then it was onto Eddings, the Deathgate Cycle, Tolkien and finally the Wheel of Time, which is how I eventually discovered Brandon.  And I have been hooked ever since.

Found out about the 17th Shard soon thereafter, but you guys were so knowledgeable I was a bit intimidated.  Eventually I did make my first post after I got my first personalized WoB during the Allow of Law tour in 2011.  Then I went back to lurking.  

Since then, I have gradually caught up with all Brandon's Cosmere books and most of the published WoB's.  Honestly, it was probably @Pagerunner's Reddit compilation, plus my recent Stormlight re-read that made me feel "ready" to start contributing again.  Some of you guys just know so much!  (Looking at you, @Calderis, @maxal@Extesian@The One Who Connects, @Pagerunner.  Anyway, my confidence is up there enough now that I have begun posting again, and have really enjoyed the discussion so far!

5 hours ago, Oversleep said:

It's not a widely known thing but what gives us our Cosmere knowledge is eating special 17thShard cookies. You want one? I have one to spare...

Someone told me not to accept cookies from anyone here, but since you are the "Most Ancient" I guess it must be ok.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, Extesian said:

Welcome more :) I'm glad you're feeling comfortable enough to actively post and try not to feel intimidated, it was others answering my questions that taught me! Don't be afraid to propose theories that may be wrong, that's part of the process :)

I was never afraid to post theories that were wrong, just those that could be disproven quickly through the books or current WoB's.  Anyway, I've gotten over my self-prescribed hump now :)

4 hours ago, maxal said:

Thanks for mentioning me and welcome to the Shard. I have to ask, how was Zelany? I wanted to read it, but was off-put by the crappy cover.... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Zelazny was amazing.  Do not be put off by the cover.  It's basically one of the best books out there I know which addresses parallel worlds well, with a bit of fun with time manipulation as well (not quite time travel, but closer to what Brandon uses with the 2nd era Mistborn books).

Just now, phoenix2563 said:

Someone told me not to accept cookies from anyone here, but since you are the "Most Ancient" I guess it must be ok.  Thanks!

Fool! You should have trusted that someone! Now you're just a new spike to my collection AHAHAHAHAHA!

Just now, Oversleep said:

Fool! You should have trusted that someone! Now you're just a new spike to my collection AHAHAHAHAHA!

Well one of the reasons why I spent so much time lurking is so I could become as invested as humanly possible before taking such risks.  Even Nightblood is starting to become a bit jealous of me.  So your spike did not work, sorry :)

9 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Welcome back! I just moved to a city an hour and a half east of Houston, so we might run into each other at the signing.

I will be there!

9 hours ago, Calderis said:

Still feels weird to be considered one of the knowledgeable ones, but thanks. 

Welcome 

Oh but you are sir.  Have much respect for your ideas and theories.

1 minute ago, phoenix2563 said:

Well one of the reasons why I spent so much time lurking is so I could become as invested as humanly possible before taking such risks.  Even Nightblood is starting to become a bit jealous of me.  So your spike did not work, sorry :)

You may have not noticed that (after all if you're so Invested you probably have some sort of regeneration) but the spike is all and well. After all, there's no such thing as "stopping Hemalurgy".

Highly Invested donor makes for a valuable spike though. For that I have to thank you :P

3 hours ago, Oversleep said:

You may have not noticed that (after all if you're so Invested you probably have some sort of regeneration) but the spike is all and well. After all, there's no such thing as "stopping Hemalurgy".

Highly Invested donor makes for a valuable spike though. For that I have to thank you :P

Hmm so this is how one survives being spiked.... I was wondering :P

Edited by Cowmanthethird