How Much Am I Missing?

Kalleth

Question

Quick question;

Having recently finished Arcanum Unbounded, many of the references and theories being discussed on 17th Shard are easier to understand. However I've just bought Shadows of Self and have yet to acquire Bands of Mourning.

I'm also waiting on Aether of Night, and don't know where to get the prose White Sand (help with that too?) but as those are ancillary, I'm not sure how much they matter with canon theories.

Thus my question is how much information am I missing out on having not read the latest two Mistborn books? I've read all the other published works.

Edited by Kalleth

6 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Kalleth said:

Thus my question is how much information am I missing out on having not read the latest two Mistborn books? I've read all the other published works.

Well, you have most of it but Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning have quite a lot of stuff, mostly related to Metallic Arts but of deeper Cosmerical meaning.

Aether and White Sand prose are not really relevant to the theories you have seen as anything that contains stuff from unpublished works is in dedicated subforums.

On 8/8/2017 at 10:42 AM, Calderis said:

@Oversleepa lot of what you're getting hung up on is probably information we get from Brandon answering questions though. When it comes to the deeper workings of the Cosmere, we probably know more from the things Brandon has deigned to tell us than we do from the source material. 

The main issue with that is that until something is published in a book, he can change his mind. The books are Canon, WoBs are our next best source. There's other tidbits that we get from Peter... 

Another problem is that Brandon has said a LOT of things over server years and there isn't really an easy way to comb through it all. I find the coppermind wiki to be quite lacking in some areas. It's a work in progress

As @Oversleep said. You have the majority of the in book information already. 

Those last two books are going to give you a good chunk of deeper knowledge into the Metallic Arts,, and through the specifics of those things some deeper knowledge for the rules that govern the Cosmere with Connection and Identity. Especially Identity. 

As far as its relevance in theories though... Those things will probably help your understanding, sure. A lot of what you're getting hung up on is probably information we get from Brandon answering questions though. When it comes to the deeper workings of the Cosmere, we probably know more from the things Brandon has deigned to tell us than we do from the source material. 

The main issue with that is that until something is published in a book, he can change his mind. The books are Canon, WoBs are our next best source. There's other tidbits that we get from Peter... 

There's a lot. The more you participate, and the more you look into the information Brandon has shared with us, the better your grasp will be. 

We're all still exploring and learning. 

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

As @Oversleep said. You have the majority of the in book information already. 

Those last two books are going to give you a good chunk of deeper knowledge into the Metallic Arts,, and through the specifics of those things some deeper knowledge for the rules that govern the Cosmere with Connection and Identity. Especially Identity. 

As far as its relevance in theories though... Those things will probably help your understanding, sure. A lot of what you're getting hung up on is probably information we get from Brandon answering questions though. When it comes to the deeper workings of the Cosmere, we probably know more from the things Brandon has deigned to tell us than we do from the source material. 

There's a lot. The more you participate, and the more you look into the information Brandon has shared with us, the better your grasp will be. 

We're all still exploring and learning. 

2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Well, you have most of it but Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning have quite a lot of stuff, mostly related to Metallic Arts but of deeper Cosmerical meaning.

Aether and White Sand prose are not really relevant to the theories you have seen as anything that contains stuff from unpublished works is in dedicated subforums.

Thanks for the helpful and swift responses. :D

I'll start checking out Brandon's interviews. I'm already deep into Shadows of Self!

On 8/8/2017 at 0:18 PM, Kalleth said:

I'm also waiting on Aether of Night, and don't know where to get the prose White Sand (help with that too?) but as those are ancillary, I'm not sure how much they matter with canon theories.

if you're still interested in getting White Sand, its available in the newsletter that you can sign up for on Brandon's site. It may not be relevant for theorizing, but I just finished it, and it's actually one of my favorite cosmere stories now.

Edit: Realized a few minutes after I posted this that you already know this... Oops? Might point someone else the right was I guess.

Edited by Cowmanthethird

On 8/8/2017 at 11:18 AM, Kalleth said:

Thus my question is how much information am I missing out on having not read the latest two Mistborn books?

Have my response from the last time a question like this was asked. (And a handy selection of useful links for perusing the WoBs)

On 7/15/2017 at 9:52 PM, The One Who Connects said:

When I look at other people talking, I am completely clueless to a lot of things going on. Did I miss any vital information, or am I just dense?

The Books are not necessary to understanding. They help you a lot(basic rundown of characters, magics, plot, etc..) but unless you are trying to avoid spoilers, the books are not a "100% must read" to be on here.
You aren't dense, but I guarantee you missed vital information. We all did on our first few reads because we didn't know what details were "vital." No worries.

If your confused about something, just ask. We can see your low post count below your icon, and we all understand what it was like to be new. You'll get answers. All else fails, just read through the older theories like I did and you'll start to catch on(because other people have been similarly confused and asked in the past)

Helpful Links for Everybody to Have:

• The Coppermind: Wiki of all things Sanderson (already linked by Ammanas, but I'm being thorough)
  • Theoryland: Database holding the WoBs from many Signings, Q&A's, and other events.
  • Pagerunner's Database: Compendium of all things Brandon has posted on Reddit.
  • Events and Signings: Topics containing audio/transcripts of all recent Signings, Q&A's, and other events. (a lot haven't made it onto Theoryland yet)
  • WoP 2015: A collection of questions answered by Peter Ahlstrom. (Here b/c none of the rest of you seem to have it bookmarked :P)
    • WoP 2016: Small List, but it gets overlooked a lot.
  • The Project(Title Classified): Fan-Made Database to replace Theoryland, set for release a little before Oathbringer comes out.
  • The Annotations: Brandon's behind the scenes info-dumps about the stories, writing process, and fun tidbits.