Greatshells fought in the desolations

Farnsworth

There are currently three sentient species on Roshar (that we know of): Amians, Parshendi, and Humans. Those three species were likely fighting in the Desolations, with the humans and the "good guys", the Parshendi as the Voidbringers, and the Amians fighting on some side or another. In the prelude, Kalak notices that 

Many of the bodies around him were human; many were not. Blood mixed. Red. Orange. Violet.

Since Parshendi blood is orange

bones and armor shattered by the blows, orange Parshendi blood spraying across the ground

and human blood is obviously red, I figured that Amian blood must be purple. There are two problems with this though. First of all, the Sleepless are made of insects and insects don't have blood. They have hemolymph, but that isn't colored usually. Siah Amians could have made the blood, but there is another problem with that.

When Adolin cuts open the gemheart,

Purple ichor spurted out as he reached in.

So it must be the Chasamfeinds, or some sort of Greatshell, that fought in the desolations. Are there sentient greatshells? Where were the Amians? Ideas?

14 minutes ago, Figberts said:

There are currently three sentient species on Roshar (that we know of): Amians, Parshendi, and Humans. Those three species were likely fighting in the Desolations, with the humans and the "good guys", the Parshendi as the Voidbringers, and the Amians fighting on some side or another. In the prelude, Kalak notices that 

Since Parshendi blood is orange

and human blood is obviously red, I figured that Amian blood must be purple. There are two problems with this though. First of all, the Sleepless are made of insects and insects don't have blood. They have hemolymph, but that isn't colored usually. Siah Amians could have made the blood, but there is another problem with that.

When Adolin cuts open the gemheart,

So it must be the Chasamfeinds, or some sort of Greatshell, that fought in the desolations. Are there sentient greatshells? Where were the Amians? Ideas?

I was thinking about exactly this yesterday. Seems likely to be greatshells because I doubt there were enough Aimians to make that bloody impression. 

Buuuut it could be Aimian for this reason

HAVOC

What colour is Aimian blood? Is it purple or orange?

BRANDON SANDERSON

That's a really good question. It depends on the kind of Aimian. One has purple blood and one has orange blood.

1 minute ago, Extesian said:

I was thinking about exactly this yesterday. Seems likely to be greatshells because I doubt there were enough Aimians to make that bloody impression. 

Buuuut it could be Aimian for this reason

I'm guessing it's Dysian purple, and surah orange considering their physiology. 

Edgedancer spoilers 

Spoiler

Doesn't Arclo make a comment about how the eyes were allies once? Or am I misremembering? 

I would not be surprised for a moment if in fact a sort of relationship was formed in the past between the parshendi and greatshells. A lot was supposedly lost in the past perhaps one of those was a song or form related to the control of greatshells?

Just now, Grahamfactor said:

We know that Chasmfiends can hold spren, since they release spren when they die; perhaps they are also subject to control by the Parshendi "gods" sneaking into their gemhearts?

This come up a lot, and I guess it can't be discounted, but I don't personally like the idea due to greatshell physiology. 

The greatshells rely on those spren for their size. Without the manipulation of gravity that the Spren provide the greatshells would be incapable of supporting their own weight.

WoBs about greatshells and spren, spoilered for length 

Spoiler

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1107#12

AHOYMATEY ()

Do all greatshells have spren?

BRANDON SANDERSON ()

In order to survive with the science that I built, the greatshells almost all require some sort of spren to keep them from collapsing. (I suspect greatshells in the water may not require them.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1158#36

BLIGHTSONG

Have larger land going greatshells existed above a chasm fiend?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Larger than a chasmfiend, the ones out near Reshi can go on land. So yea, it is possible that there are larger ones. They do better in the water, because of how big they are, the high oxygen, low gravity, and symbiotic relationship with the spren allow for mega fauna that is just unrealistically large and just could exist on earth, so yea.

The Spren are a part of their life cycle, so the only point I could see one transforming properly is if it chose to pupae in the path of the Everstorm... And while that opens some scary ideas for this desolation, the Everstorm is new, so in the past... 

Either way the new spren would need to provide gravitation for them to exist at the sizes they grow to. A new spren may be able to provide the hole that allows for control in the same manner as the Parshendi, but we don't know that it would gain any other benefits. 

So I'm skeptical about them existing in the past, but with the Everstorm, I'd be surprised if they don't happen this time around. 

26 minutes ago, Figberts said:

Maybe the Siah Amians bleed Orange like the Parshendi, and the Dysian Amians bleed Purple like the Greatshells? That would make sense because cremlings have shells, and may be distantly related to Greatshells.

That was my meaning when speaking of their physiology. Cremlings are in many cases larval stages of larger life forms. It stands to reason that like the efluvia of many earth insects are white, many of Roshar's probably share a similar color. In this case purple. 

• Chaos locked this topic