[OB] Sample Chapters Info

Azul

I finally broke down and tweeted Brandon and Peter if we will get sample chapters similar to what came out for WoR.  This is the response I received.

Yes. I think I have Tor persuaded to post like a quarter of the book--almost as much in "sample" chapters as an entire novel.

With 122 chapters, 14 interludes and the prologue and epilogue this means we could get somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 sample chapters !

No idea when they will begin releasing them but WoR sample chapters started up about 2 months before its release.

I don't understand people. Why downvote Maxal for stating something that makes sense from the publishers perspective? 

They may have made exceptions in the past, and likely will here at Brandon's request, because he has some weight to throw around. 

We definitely aren't getting this much because the publisher wants it though. 

14 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I don't understand people. Why downvote Maxal for stating something that makes sense from the publishers perspective? 

They may have made exceptions in the past, and likely will here at Brandon's request, because he has some weight to throw around. 

We definitely aren't getting this much because the publisher wants it though. 

Who knows?  Depends on what the person thinks the purpose of the system is.

As for Tors position on sample chapters they have been, comparatively, slow adopters of e-books.  Baen by contrast jumped in with both feet early on and understands that posting the first quarter of the book isn't giving the work away.  It is getting their customers hooked on literary crack. :P  Generally making the customer base very happy and by extension increases the probability of purchasing.

4 minutes ago, Arondell said:

As for Tors position on sample chapters they have been, comparatively, slow adopters of e-books.  Baen by contrast jumped in with both feet early on and understands that posting the first quarter of the book isn't giving the work away.  It is getting their customers hooked on literary crack. :P  Generally making the customer base very happy and by extension increases the probability of purchasing.

I agree, most businesses view it as more work though. Especially with a later book in a series. 

Traditionally, the attitude has been "give them as little as possible." 

56 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Because it is Maxal? Seriously, I have decided a while ago I would ignore the downvotes. It is my personal impression I get them more than your average poster, but maybe I am hallucinating and others get them as frequently. Ever since I noted one of them came from one of those "silent posters" who never bother to comment, I made peace.

This being said, I do appreciate you jumping in for me :P

As for the sample chapters, well, yeah I do think 1/4 of the book seems a lot which makes me wonder if they really are going to do it. Providing they are really going to do it, I am dubious about my desire to read them. Of course, I will dig into anything which isn't an interlude, but won't it spoil part of the book? Do I really want to read 1/4 of the book before it is released and if it does get sampled prior to release, can I muster the strength not to read them?

Such issues :ph34r:

1 minute ago, maxal said:

Because it is Maxal? Seriously, I have decided a while ago I would ignore the downvotes. It is my personal impression I get them more than your average poster, but maybe I am hallucinating and others get them as frequently. Ever since I noted one of them came from one of those "silent posters" who never bother to comment, I made peace.

From what I've seen, you're right, and that's why it bothers me. An occasional odd downvote sure. This doesn't seem to be that. 

Yes you have strong opinions, but you go out of your way to be inoffensive and try to see others viewpoints. 

As for the samples... I'll read them. It'll force me to take my time and I'll probably pick up more from them. 

3 minutes ago, maxal said:

Do I really want to read 1/4 of the book before it is released and if it does get sampled prior to release, can I muster the strength not to read them?

Such issues :ph34r:

Martin, Lynch, and Rothfuss fans are worrying if they will see another book in the series. Sanderson fans worry about how much of the sample chapters to read before the release :P

5 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Martin, Lynch, and Rothfuss fans are worrying if they will see another book in the series. Sanderson fans worry about how much of the sample chapters to read before the release :P

Rothfuss :angry:

Martin I avoided

Lynch - didn't like

Rothfuss I read after both books were out, thinking third isn't far.  But damnation he's been slow.  Going the way of Harper Lee!

Edited by axcellence

If the sample chapters are in order I'll read them, otherwise nooooo way. This book is only behind Doors of Stone in terms of things I look forward to in this world. I've read advance things so far but a quarter of a book is way too much. 

As for maxal, the good thing about the rep system is it evens out. This isn't the first or last time I've upvoted her to balance a baffling downvote. Same with others. If someone gets an unwarranted downvote it'll be fixed. Anyway maxal is clearly not here for the rep, which is why she's so good to discuss stuff with. 

1 minute ago, Extesian said:

As for maxal, the good thing about the rep system is it evens out. This isn't the first or last time I've upvoted her to balance a baffling downvote. Same with others. If someone gets an unwarranted downvote it'll be fixed. Anyway maxal is clearly not here for the rep, which is why she's so good to discuss stuff with. 

True across the board. It just bothers me to see anyone targeted without justification. 

16 minutes ago, axcellence said:

What are upvotes/downvotes!  Just random clicks.  Why care!

Because it feels like those I am getting are personal this is why and I don't see other posters get them as often as I. Quite frankly, almost each time I see a downvote, it belongs to one of my posts.

15 minutes ago, Calderis said:

From what I've seen, you're right, and that's why it bothers me. An occasional odd downvote sure. This doesn't seem to be that. 

Yes you have strong opinions, but you go out of your way to be inoffensive and try to see others viewpoints. 

Don't worry about it. It's been this for the last three years. It is either I choose to ignore them or I allow them to get to me like I used to. Let them downvote me, I know my worth as a poster and you can't please everyone. I chose to have battles which upset quite a bit of posters.

15 minutes ago, Calderis said:

As for the samples... I'll read them. It'll force me to take my time and I'll probably pick up more from them. 

I will probably not read the interlude ones, but resisting reading the main narrative? Argh. I'll have to wait and see when they come out.

14 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Tough life :ph34r:

9 minutes ago, Extesian said:

If the sample chapters are in order I'll read them, otherwise nooooo way. This book is only behind Doors of Stone in terms of things I look forward to in this world. I've read advance things so far but a quarter of a book is way too much. 

Edited by maxal