Top 10 theories going into Oathbringer

bdoble97

Just now, bdoble97 said:

what are Dawn shards. When reading topics in comments on this website I constantly read things that I like how did I not understand this or how did I miss that in these books because I have no idea what I dawn shard is 

We don't really know for sure. http://coppermind.net/wiki/Dawnshard.

2 hours ago, bdoble97 said:

After reading so many about Dalinar possibly being involed with his wifes death I dont want ti fund out anymore

I would love Zahel getting yelled at by bright redheaded Vivian. That would be so good.

Note I did not say Dalinar killed his wife, just that his boon and him forgetting was related to her death. Not the same thing. 

I hope Vivian is in Oathbringer, but I doubt we will get this awesome scene from my silly predictions. 

24 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

We don't really know for sure. http://coppermind.net/wiki/Dawnshard.

What if... the flute Wit gave Kaladin, which he then in turn lost, is a Dawnshard... a very wild speculative guess but it could be the reason why Wit is so displeased that Kaladin lost it, and it would be an amusing turn for the Dawnshard's not all to be weapons, just 'items' of extreme power. Perhaps what we saw Wit perform was only a glimpse and it's true potential is truly terrifying? There seems to be a huge amount linked to music/melodies/sounds in this world. 

Just a wild thought :)

14 minutes ago, eveorjoy said:

I hope Vivian is in Oathbringer, but I doubt we will get this awesome scene from my silly predictions. 

I'll try to find the WoB, but we've basically been told already that Vivenna is there and to keep our eyes open. 

As with all Cosmere Cameos though, it's not going to be anything overt. I doubt anyone who hasn't read Warbreaker will have any idea she's not Rosharan, because that's how it's supposed to work. 

2 hours ago, eveorjoy said:

Note I did not say Dalinar killed his wife, just that his boon and him forgetting was related to her death. Not the same thing. 

Yea lets hope he was just so upset about it and coyld not get over her dearg or somthing. Vivian is wicked good character so lets hope. 

2 hours ago, Velvet Thunder said:

What if... the flute Wit gave Kaladin, which he then in turn lost, is a Dawnshard... a very wild speculative guess but it could be the reason why Wit is so displeased that Kaladin lost it, and it would be an amusing turn for the Dawnshard's not all to be weapons, just 'items' of extreme power. Perhaps what we saw Wit perform was only a glimpse and it's true potential is truly terrifying? There seems to be a huge amount linked to music/melodies/sounds in this world. 

Just a wild thought :)

This such a cool idea. I want this to happen now 

3 minutes ago, Necessary Eagle said:

*perks up her ears*

In Oathbringer, or the already-published books?

In Oathbringer. I haven't been able to to find it, and don't remember the exact wording, but the jist of it was she's looking for Vasher and keep your eyes open. 

1- Kaladin will arrive in Hearthstone and save Roshone with absolutely no hesitation.  He will have taken his most recent oath to heart.  After saving hearthstone, his relationship with his Father, will be strained.  One of his parents (haven't decided who yet) will end up being a member of that same group that Shallan's mother was a member of, and may even end up trying to kill Kaladin.

2-  Jasnah will be kicking some Ghost blood butt.  In this process, one of the Ghost Blood members will (intentionally) let something slip about Shallan being a member of their organization, to sow seeds of doubt in Jasnah's mind.  She will wonder if Shallan's ward-ship could have been a carefully planned elaborate rouse to find out details about her research.  This will be planted in her mind so well that Jasnah can't brush it off.  She will covertly begin to investigate and find out that Shallan has indeed been meeting with the Nightbloods and is still working with them (against Shallan's will, unbeknownst to Jasnah).  This will enrage Jasnah, and we may even see a battle between the two.  It may take quite a bit of explaining and time before Jasnah begins to trust Shallan again.

3- Adolin will confess to the crime, but not until Ialai uses her sources to find out about it, and is about to use it to move against the Kholin family.  Adolin's confession and subsequent banishment will dull the damage she can do, but she will still be a major antagonist to the Kholin's and their efforts throughout the book.   In particular, Adolin will be hunted throughout the book by her assassins.  I think we will see a battle between him and Liss.

(prediction 3.5 - Ialai is pregnant, which only serves to fuel her thirst for vengeance against the Kholin family)

4- Shallan will see that the Ghostblood's intentions are not all evil, and will even agree with it to an extent.  She will have a very difficult time explaining that to Jasnah (as a result of #2)

5- The stone shamans will, at the beginning of the book, break into Uritheru and quite soundly whoop trash and take back the honorblade.  They in turn, towards the end of the book, have their trash whooped by Szeth and Nightblood (how the heck nightblood will be "equal to the task" against 8 honorblades, I don't know.  I can't wait to read that confrontation, though!!!)

6- Dalinar will have gained the reluctant trust of most of the high princes after his visions have proven true, but tensions and riots back home will cause them to refuse helping him gather radiants.  He and the other radiants will be on their own in their quest to catch 'em all, or will ignore that task for a while in order to bring stability to Alethkar.

7- Eshonai and the other Parshendi will find a couple more of the ancient forms, and from that new void bringers will appear.  However, tensions between her and her sister will continue to escalate to the point where there will be a parshendi vs. parshendi conflict.  The ones who escaped at the end of WoR will not be a part of this conflict.

8- the afore mentioned escaped parshendi will have found some way to not transform when the everstorm comes (or found a way to revert after being transformed).  They will be secretly trying to gather parshmen as fast as they can and try to prevent (or revert) further transformations.  They will discover another form on their own, not one of the Void forms.

1 hour ago, OscarTheSingingHobo said:

1- Kaladin will arrive in Hearthstone and save Roshone with absolutely no hesitation.  He will have taken his most recent oath to heart.  After saving hearthstone, his relationship with his Father, will be strained.  One of his parents (haven't decided who yet) will end up being a member of that same group that Shallan's mother was a member of, and may even end up trying to kill Kaladin.

2-  Jasnah will be kicking some Ghost blood butt.  In this process, one of the Ghost Blood members will (intentionally) let something slip about Shallan being a member of their organization, to sow seeds of doubt in Jasnah's mind.  She will wonder if Shallan's ward-ship could have been a carefully planned elaborate rouse to find out details about her research.  This will be planted in her mind so well that Jasnah can't brush it off.  She will covertly begin to investigate and find out that Shallan has indeed been meeting with the Nightbloods and is still working with them (against Shallan's will, unbeknownst to Jasnah).  This will enrage Jasnah, and we may even see a battle between the two.  It may take quite a bit of explaining and time before Jasnah begins to trust Shallan again.

3- Adolin will confess to the crime, but not until Ialai uses her sources to find out about it, and is about to use it to move against the Kholin family.  Adolin's confession and subsequent banishment will dull the damage she can do, but she will still be a major antagonist to the Kholin's and their efforts throughout the book.   In particular, Adolin will be hunted throughout the book by her assassins.  I think we will see a battle between him and Liss.

(prediction 3.5 - Ialai is pregnant, which only serves to fuel her thirst for vengeance against the Kholin family)

4- Shallan will see that the Ghostblood's intentions are not all evil, and will even agree with it to an extent.  She will have a very difficult time explaining that to Jasnah (as a result of #2)

5- The stone shamans will, at the beginning of the book, break into Uritheru and quite soundly whoop trash and take back the honorblade.  They in turn, towards the end of the book, have their trash whooped by Szeth and Nightblood (how the heck nightblood will be "equal to the task" against 8 honorblades, I don't know.  I can't wait to read that confrontation, though!!!)

6- Dalinar will have gained the reluctant trust of most of the high princes after his visions have proven true, but tensions and riots back home will cause them to refuse helping him gather radiants.  He and the other radiants will be on their own in their quest to catch 'em all, or will ignore that task for a while in order to bring stability to Alethkar.

7- Eshonai and the other Parshendi will find a couple more of the ancient forms, and from that new void bringers will appear.  However, tensions between her and her sister will continue to escalate to the point where there will be a parshendi vs. parshendi conflict.  The ones who escaped at the end of WoR will not be a part of this conflict.

8- the afore mentioned escaped parshendi will have found some way to not transform when the everstorm comes (or found a way to revert after being transformed).  They will be secretly trying to gather parshmen as fast as they can and try to prevent (or revert) further transformations.  They will discover another form on their own, not one of the Void forms.

I would hate ine of Kaladins parents to be part of the same group that Shalla  mother was. It would be devastating if it turnd out to be Kals mother. 

I think Jasnah will be fightingoff voidbringers but I like the idea of her getting info about the ghostbloods.

Adolin will probly have a confessions ro his father and then they Dalinar will be force to proceed with the the law abd banish his son. That will be one of the hottest things he's ever had to do. Having assassins hunting Adolin is a great idea 

More forms would be cool. I would like to see another  form like a monster form or somrhing like thatA 

A parshendie vs parshendie war would be epic. I think we are going to get that %100

Edited by bdoble97

17 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

I would hate it if Kaladins parents to be part of the same group that Shallan's mother was. It would be devastating if it turned out to be Kals mother. 

Right after I hit "submit", I realized it might be too much, and redundant to have the parent of 2 main characters be part of this group. However, I do think there is more we will learn about his parents. Things kaladin himself didn't know. 

2 hours ago, OscarTheSingingHobo said:

In particular, Adolin will be hunted throughout the book by her assassins.  I think we will see a battle between him and Liss.

I would be seriously surprised if Adolin doesn't have to dodge at least one assassination attempt and they will be directed to him, not his father.

2 hours ago, OscarTheSingingHobo said:

This one has gotten a moderate amount of attention, but I personally do not support this theory. There has to be a reason why Sadeas and Ialai, after more than 28 years of marriage, never had a child: they are infertile. Either she is or he is, but bottom line, they can't have children, so for them to get one at an age where it shouldn't be possible suspend all disbelief. On itself, the theory reside onto the idea Ialai is somewhat at least a decade younger than Sadeas: she isn't. We see her in The Thrill.

I am thus convinced Ialai is not pregnant. She is too old to be pregnant and I also don't see what it would accomplish in terms of plot.

1 hour ago, OscarTheSingingHobo said:

Right after I hit "submit", I realized it might be too much, and redundant to have the parent of 2 main characters be part of this group. However, I do think there is more we will learn about his parents. Things kaladin himself didn't know. 

No its a cool idea. I dont hate the idea i would just hate the thought of Kaladin mother being a part of that group. If it was his father it would not bother me as much

8 hours ago, OscarTheSingingHobo said:

I think there is a good chance that most of this happens and I am so excited for it. The only thing is that I think due to Eshonai's separation from the rest of the Stormforms in the highstorm she's going to be solo for a while, while Venli takes control and spearheads further research into Voidforms. I cant wait to see proper voidbinding and their orders.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Anyone think that we are going to see more Heralds (beside Nalan and Taln)?

Ishar seems like someone who could show up. I would love to see Chana and Ash too.

If I remember correctly, there was a WoB saying that all 10 of the heralds appeared in the first book in one form or another.  I haven't been able to find them all yet.  Does anyone know who shows up where?

4 minutes ago, OscarTheSingingHobo said:

If I remember correctly, there was a WoB saying that all 10 of the heralds appeared in the first book in one form or another.  I haven't been able to find them all yet.  Does anyone know who shows up where?

We've done some hunting. I think the only ones who we haven't found any mention of are Battar and Chana. 

I think all the info we've hunted down is in there. 

38 minutes ago, OscarTheSingingHobo said:

Some do not appear, but are merely mentioned. So mentions in curses can count.

You guys are on another level then I am. When I read these comments you guys seem to know so much more in-depth stuff and I do. I love this book series so much but sometimes I feel like I'm so in the dark compared to the knowledge that some of you have.

Just now, bdoble97 said:

You guys are on another level then I am. When I read these comments you guys seem to know so much more in-depth stuff and I do. I love this book series so much but sometimes I feel like I'm so in the dark compared to the knowledge that some of you have.

As Calderis said, we've done some hunting.

And some things just become second-nature after a while. That, and my shortcut to everywhere bookmark.

6 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

As Calderis said, we've done some hunting.

And literally the only instance of the letters "chana" in tWoK are from a chapter heading. 

Ch. 11 Droplets

“Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns.”

—Collected: Chachanan, 1173, 84 seconds pre-death. Subject: a cutpurse with the wasting sickness, of partial Iriali descent.

Unless she has a nickname we don't know, I'm at a loss. 

Just now, Calderis said:

And literally the only instance of the letters "chana" in tWoK are from a chapter heading.

And that wouldn't technically count, as the month is Chach(3). The week and day are both "an"(2).
I feel like this is pre-planned revenge for finding the Warbreaker Terriswoman.

Just now, The One Who Connects said:

And that wouldn't technically count, as the month is Chach(3). The week and day are both "an"(2).
I feel like this is pre-planned revenge for finding the Warbreaker Terriswoman.

Yeah, that's why I said it's the only instance of the letters, but didn't say it's a reference. 

There's obviously something we don't understand when it comes to Chana, and I agree it's intentional. 

We hunt like crazy for something we can't recognize without information we can't understand until it's later revealed. 

It not a lie that there's a reference in the book, even if it's a reference we literally don't have the means to recognize.