Wonder Woman

Quiver

@Orlion On a Cob Can confirm is decent an coherent. 

Honestly? I think the 97% mark is a little inflated. In my mind, anything above 90% is just quibbling, and I don't think the film is THAT good. But it's a solid 7 or 8 out of ten in my mind. :ph34r:

Might do up a full review in a few days, after I get a chance to think about it and finish my work shifts.

14 minutes ago, Quiver said:

@Orlion On a Cob Can confirm is decent an coherent. 

Honestly? I think the 97% mark is a little inflated. In my mind, anything above 90% is just quibbling, and I don't think the film is THAT good. But it's a solid 7 or 8 out of ten in my mind. :ph34r:

Might do up a full review in a few days, after I get a chance to think about it and finish my work shifts.

RT's 97 % score only indicates that 97% of the reviews are favorable. The aggregate score is much closer to your rating. 

Which is good! I look forward to it! 

I've now seen it twice.

really like this movie.

Well, okay, I'll preface by saying: it is not a perfect film. The tone can be a little strange at time,s particularly where the villains are concerned. At the heart of the picture is a very serious question about man and our propensity for violence... but then you have Ludendorf and Doctor Poison giggling in an over the top manner about poisoning the German Peace Corp. The ending action scene is kind of strange, because on the one hand, we have Ares and Diana brawling in full CG action... and then we have a more grounded conflict not so far away. This film has problems.

I still enjoy it, and will repeat the sentiments I've seen bandied about: this is the bast DC film since The Dark Knight. The casting is great, Gal Gadot was good in Dawn of Justice, nd she continues that here. I don't know if some of her badass lines landed quite as powerfully or as sincerely as I would have liked, but I thought they were fine. Honestly, the film makes me want to see her doing a comedy, because between cooing over the baby and trying to get through the revolving door, and he rcomedically serious routine, I think she could do good at it.

(This is also the first film I liked Chris Pine in, and I don't mean that as a slight to him; I just don't think the Trek films are good. But Steve? he made me care about him)

And, this is going to sound sappy maybe... but the second time I saw it, I teared up a little when Diana went over the top. World War I is a period of time that fascinates me, and seeing a figure of hope getting out of the trenches and crossing No Man's Land? That was actually pretty inspiring and wonderful for me. Ditto when she crossed the other side and started demolishing the guns, taking down the troops. I wish they had played things a little more grey in terms of morality, but it was still a great action scene. On my first watch, I wasnt sure if it captured Diana's movement as effectively as the warehouse scene in BvS does for Batman. Second time through... yeah, I think it's strong. I don't know if it's going to be as iconic as Batman's takedown was, but seeing that lasso whip around the screen? Yes. Yes.

(I do wish the troops had had more to do there, though. We can assume that they were off securing other parts of the town, but the main fighting we saw was Diana and her team, which created the impression they did all the fighting)

I liked that they didn't shy away from the fact that there were faults on both sides. Chief's line about "Steve's people", and Diana's condemnation of the British Generals showed there was fault on their side, while the Peace Corps desire to stop the war because it was costing "thousands of German lives" showed there was good on that front. Which is an important theme, because World War I was a meat grinder. It was needless, senseless, and, as Steve puts it, "a great big mess". I wish they had gone into some of the details as to why the war happened, particularly since I feel like it's a period of history which is often overlooked in favor of World War II.

The plot was obvious as a brick wall though. I called 'Diana is the Godkiller' the second Hippolyta mentioned that story, and I knew that Ludendorf wasn't going to be Ares. Still, I liked the characters and I wanted to see them live.

(Oh, and another moment I liked... when Steve is in the place, preparing to shoot the bombs. I expected the camera to pan downards and show us he had been shot in the gut or something; do something to tell audiences "It's okay, he was going to die anyway, so this is him making the most of his last moments." But it didn't; Steve didn't have to shoot those bombs, but he chose to. That was a good moment.)

I saw this film twice. If I can wrangle up a viewing partner, I might go a third time. I'm already drafting Wonder Woman fan fiction, and wanting to see more of Gal Gadot.

I really liked this movie.

I saw it a few days ago, and I have to say it's not nearly as good as people think it is. I like the middle and end, but the beginning to me, makes NO sense. It's very random and, while necessary, is barely coherent. Some of the characters are very two dimensional and it's very obvious that most of the characters are not organic. Besides Steve, Diana and Ares, most of the characters are cliche and throwaway. I did like the ending, though.

So I think the hype for the movie was maybe a little too strong, but I still really really liked it. I wasn't sold on Gal Gadot in BvS, but she was fantastic here. Chris Pine, whew, you sir are above average.
The chemistry between the characters was pretty good. I'm still confused about how a native American became a smuggler in Europe, but I'm glad that there was that bit of representation anyway. I was not sold on the German villains. From the giggling at killing the people in the peace conference to general over acting and a lack of charisma, they were just boring to watch.
I did really like Ares until he got all suited up. I just don't think Remus Lupin can pull off a Sauron version of Ares. He was incredibly intimidating as a voice and ghost in the window, but after that he was a little dissapointing.

Not a perfect film, but very good, and very enjoyable.

11 hours ago, C. M. Hayden said:

Wonder Woman is the getting the praise it deserves. It's an excellent movie (though it does get a little silly in the last 10 minutes or so, but not enough to ruin it).

Where the Ghostbusters reboot failed, Wonder Woman succeeds. It's genuinely entertaining.

I'm confused, what do Ghostbusters and Wonder Woman have to do with each other? Aside from Chris Pine.

1 hour ago, Jedal said:

Chris Pine was in ghostbusters? I thought that was chris hemsworth.

Oh, true. Ummm, so I guess this re-affirms my question. What's the connection between Wonder Woman and Ghostbusters? 

13 hours ago, Left said:

I'm confused, what do Ghostbusters and Wonder Woman have to do with each other? Aside from Chris Pine.

I doubt very much that you're actually confused about my statement, but I'll state my point a bit more explicitly:

There aren't many female heroes in scifi/fantasy movies. This is a clear hole in the market, and Sony seemed to try to fill it by casting the Ghostbuster's reboot as all female. When the trailer first released, it was downvoted to oblivion, because the trailer was God-awful. A lot of internet trolls (and even Sony) tried to push the reason as being because the cast was female. That's not the reason. The reason was because the trailer was bad and unfunny.

And the movie was awful, and flopped.

Along comes Wonder Woman. A female-lead movie, and the trailer has an overwhelmingly positive response. The movie is awesome. They didn't need to insult their core fan base in order to push a female-lead movie, as Ghostbusters did. If the movie is good, that's what matters. And Wonder Woman is an excellent film. Arguable, as portrayed she's more of a hero than Superman and Batman are.

So, I say again: where Ghostbusters failed, Wonder Woman succeeded.

4 hours ago, C. M. Hayden said:

I doubt very much that you're actually confused about my statement, but I'll state my point a bit more explicitly:

There aren't many female heroes in scifi/fantasy movies. This is a clear hole in the market, and Sony seemed to try to fill it by casting the Ghostbuster's reboot as all female. When the trailer first released, it was downvoted to oblivion, because the trailer was God-awful. A lot of internet trolls (and even Sony) tried to push the reason as being because the cast was female. That's not the reason. The reason was because the trailer was bad and unfunny.

Along comes Wonder Woman. A female-lead movie, and the trailer has an overwhelmingly positive response. The movie is awesome. They didn't need to insult their core fan base in order to push a female-lead movie, as Ghostbusters did. If the movie is good, that's what matters. And Wonder Woman is an excellent film. Arguable, as portrayed she's more of a hero than Superman and Batman are.

I disagree with your assessment of ghostbusters but i won't argue that WW is the better movie of the two.

11 hours ago, C. M. Hayden said:

I'll admit I thought the point you may have been making was about female leads, but I wasn't certain. Considering how flammable the topic has been throughout the internet, I thought it better for peace on the shard to not make any assumptions.
I definitely do agree with your assessment of the films and the hype. I haven't been looking at the films from the point of view of Female Lead in scifi/fantasy. I know a lot of the hype for Wonder Woman was because she was fulfilling that whole (along side Daisy Ridley and Amy Adams in Arrival I must add), but I was looking forward to Wonder Woman because it was Wonder Woman. Diana's never gotten the the kind of attention in film or tv that her character deserves, so I was really excited about the film just for that.

Your point of view is totally valid and I even agree with it, it just wasn't where I was coming from so I had trouble switching over my thinking.

7 hours ago, Left said:

I'll admit I thought the point you may have been making was about female leads, but I wasn't certain. Considering how flammable the topic has been throughout the internet, I thought it better for peace on the shard to not make any assumptions.
I definitely do agree with your assessment of the films and the hype. I haven't been looking at the films from the point of view of Female Lead in scifi/fantasy. I know a lot of the hype for Wonder Woman was because she was fulfilling that whole (along side Daisy Ridley and Amy Adams in Arrival I must add), but I was looking forward to Wonder Woman because it was Wonder Woman. Diana's never gotten the the kind of attention in film or tv that her character deserves, so I was really excited about the film just for that.

Your point of view is totally valid and I even agree with it, it just wasn't where I was coming from so I had trouble switching over my thinking.

It was also directed by a woman so it wasn't shot through Male Gaze. I don't even mean pervy Male Gaze though thats a factor, it was just....different, and more real and true to me, and wonderfully refreshing. 

On 6/11/2017 at 0:41 AM, Delightful said:

I disagree with your assessment of ghostbusters but i won't argue that WW is the better movie of the two.

Agree with this.

I still want to be Holtzmann when I grow up and nobody can make me change my mind.  :D

On 6/10/2017 at 5:33 AM, Left said:

Actually, it's Chris Hemsworth in Ghostbusters, not Pine. What's up with guys named Chris and these superhero movies.

Review coming soon!