Rlain and the Everstorm

HillbillyBurgess

Question

So, as far as I understand, the Everstorm causes the parshmen to become voidbringers when it passes over them. So my question is, why was Rlain not affected at the end of WoR? I'm pretty sure the Everstorm was right on top of them - does it not affect listeners the same way it does parshmen? Just one point I've been wondering about for a while, thanks for any clarification.

8 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, HillbillyBurgess said:

So, as far as I understand, the Everstorm causes the parshmen to become voidbringers when it passes over them. So my question is, why was Rlain not affected at the end of WoR? I'm pretty sure the Everstorm was right on top of them - does it not affect listeners the same way it does parshmen? Just one point I've been wondering about for a while, thanks for any clarification.

My understanding is that it can be fought, or at least that it is less likely to happen unless the Listener (whatever form they are in) is open to it. This quote is quite informative. 

QUESTION

A dullform Listener is indoors when the Everstorm passes over, will they be transformed into a Voidform?

BRANDON SANDERSON

No. It depends on the strength of the boundary between them, but it is possible for them to...Being transformed, taking new forms, there is a measure of will behind it, meaning for instance, even when Eshonai took the new form, she had herself open to taking a new form. By the time she didn’t want to, it was too late. But she had made the decision, even though she’d been kind of misled in some ways. If a parshmen were even in the Everstorm, and aggressively didn't want this to happen, I'm not saying they won't, but there is room for discussion whether or not they would change there. But also one who DOES want to, and there's only a pane of glass and things like that, then yeah.

Rlain was pretty impressive so I suspect he just fought it. 

Edited by Extesian

1 hour ago, HillbillyBurgess said:

Wait, wasnt he already in stormform?

Like other said the change requires a bit of Will.

Listeners in a Form different than Slaveform or DullForm will be able to oppose a Better resistance to It. (Probably there are Forms better suited for this than others, but Almost all Will be Better than DullForm)

Edited by Yata

4 hours ago, Extesian said:

My understanding is that it can be fought, or at least that it is less likely to happen unless the Listener (whatever form they are in) is open to it. This quote is quite informative. 

Rlain was pretty impressive so I suspect he just fought it. 

Thanks for the clarification, this has been bugging me for a while. 

To add onto what everyone said, I was under the impression that he was left in the camps (parshman vs parshendi and all..) Even if he went after them right away, he'd have to leap chasms without bridges, and then cross a Highstorm. I can see that slowing him down long enough to not get caught in the Everstorm even if he tried, since the Everstorm moves west->east away from the Warcamps.

Just now, Spoolofwhool said:

Rlain wasn't in the Warcamp when they left.

Guess that's why I thought they left him behind... Very well, I rescind my statement.

Edited by The One Who Connects
Edit: I was wrong.

11 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

To add onto what everyone said, I was under the impression that he was left in the camps (parshman vs parshendi and all..) Even if he went after them right away, he'd have to leap chasms without bridges, and then cross a Highstorm. I can see that slowing him down long enough to not get caught in the Everstorm even if he tried, since the Everstorm moves west->east away from the Warcamps.

Rlain wasn't in the Warcamp when they left. They found him on the Plateaus when they were nearly at the Oathgate plateau, and he was there when the Everstorm was called.

I second that Rlain was most likely fighting it, though I think it might be something else as well. As far as we know both Rlain and the Armies left the platue before the Storms hit via the Oathgate. Additionally we know that it generally doesn't happen instantly anyway. From Eshonai's transformation we can gather that the transformation only happens during the eye of the storm so to speak. I just pictured it in the way that the Everstorm just carries tons and tons of stormspren or other voidspren and that those spren are just more forcefull about transforming Listeners than the other spren they can bond with.

I don't think being just near the everystorm would turn every Parshmen ever into a voidbringer.