The Heralds

StrikerEZ

Okay, this is the one part about Stormlight that confuses me the most, and the coppermind hasn't been very helpful with my understanding of them.

What exactly are the Heralds? Do the appear when it's time for a Desolation, or do they appear and cause a Desolation? Where do they go in between? I just need help with understanding how they work.

7 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Okay, this is the one part about Stormlight that confuses me the most, and the Coppermind hasn't been very helpful with my understanding of them.

What exactly are the Heralds? Do the appear when it's time for a Desolation, or do they appear and cause a Desolation? Where do they go in between? I just need help with understanding how they work.

Be warned, this will be a wall of text that won't actually solve much because we don't have too many real answers.

• The Heralds are the patrons of each KR Order, given Honorblades by Honor himself to participate in the Oathpact and fight in the Desolations.
    • Honorblades grant Surgebinding to the wielder, and are what the Spren modeled their bond after.
    • The Oathpact was between the Heralds and Honor, and that's about all we know for sure
  • Through some unknown means/reasons, they appear to spend the years between Desolations trapped on Braize being tortured.
    • Braize is the (third?) planet in the system, and is essentially Odium's domain, and some sort of prison if I recall
  • If they die during the fighting, they automatically "go back," and if they survive they have to go back.
    • We don't know if this means they off themselves or some other method.
  • They have to go back because if they stay on Roshar too long, another Desolation will start automatically.
    • We suspect that a Desolation starts when one of them breaks under torture, and they get sent to Roshar to prep mankind for it
  • As for who they were/where they originate from, it's a heavy RAFO (quoting my old post here:)

Dec, 2010:  Who each of the Heralds are and what their natures were is important.

March 11, 2014:  Were the heralds born on Roshar?   RAFO

Sept 4th, 2014:  Is he Rosharan? Taln is Rosharan. // Native to Roshar. That I have to RAFO. // The Heralds are from the same place that Taln is from.

Feb 17, 2016:  The Heralds do not come from Nalthis, but that is an excellent question.

Apr 8th, 2016:  It is normal for a cognitive shadow to get stuck to places, because they exist through investiture it is normal for them to get tied to an area. This happened with Odium and the two shards on Roshar, Preservation to Ruin, and the Heralds (To Roshar? Braize?).

Relevant information on Theoryland containing the "Heralds" tag

• During the Prelude to WoK(4,500 yrs ago chapter), 9 of the Heralds abandoned the Oathpact and went their separate ways
    • Ishar theorized that as long as one of them remained bound, it should still work
      • People on here blame him for spoilers, but he was correct about this one: Taln kept the Pact alive, albeit not by choice.
      • Taln died during the last Desolation, so he's spent that 4,500 yrs being tortured in hell. more or less
    • The remaining 9 left their Honorblades in the stone as a sign of abandoning the Pact.
      • Nalan retrieved his at some point, the rest are with the Shin(where Szeth got his from)
    • The remaining 9 have started/continued going mad(we don't know when it started or why, but there's all manner of ideas)
      • As a result of this madness, they have been doing rather strange actions:
      • Shalash (Baxil's Mistress) is responsible for the destruction of artwork/statues of her
      • Nalan has been killing Surgebinders because their return will apparently "bring desolation to this world"
      • Ishar may/may not have visions of the future
  • We have seen/heard reference to all of the Heralds within the first 2 books, though some are less clear to us.

Anyone have something I missed? This is all from memory and my quoted bookmark, so something got left out, I'm sure of it

• Chaos locked this topic