Aren't Skybreakers epic?

Zmaray

With the ability to fly, manipulate gravity and annihilate objects with a mere touch, I would definitely choose to be a Skybreaker.

Are there any other orders you think would be more powerful?

I can't remember where, but Brandon agreed with the idea that Skybreakers were the M.P (military police) of the Radiants. It would stand to reason, I think, that they would be the strongest order. They would need to be in order to keep everyone in line and put down any resistance from the other orders trying to rebel/misuse their powers.

21 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

I can't remember where, but Brandon agreed with the idea that Skybreakers were the M.P (military police) of the Radiants. It would stand to reason, I think, that they would be the strongest order. They would need to be in order to keep everyone in line and put down any resistance from the other orders trying to rebel/misuse their powers.

Doesn't necessarily mean they are the strongest, only that they have enough power to keep Radiants in line.

Windrunners and skybreakers have huge advantage with the ability to "fall". Other's although very powerful can not get around the mobility these two have in battle.

Their secondary powers, adhesion and division, though individually powerful, comes down to how talented warriors the individuals are.

Would a skybreaker get within ten feet of Kaladin with his spear?

Or would Adhesion affect a skybreaker where in he is unable to fly? 

How would shard plate react to adhesion and division? Lot of intangibles. Still, it all depend on the quality of the warrior.

Skybreakers are my favorite too, however I don't think they are the most powerful Order... mostly because I don't think there is a Order that could be labeled as such. What I mean is that every Order has a very specific role so for different duties (and different conditions) a Surge could be more useful than another 'seemingly' more powerful.

However, I think that Skybreakers, due to their combination of Surges (that grant them high mobility and sheer power) are the most apt at wreaking havoc through the enemies lines... together with Dustbringers and Stonewards (the latter being a mere speculation, not having seen their Surges in action... but Stonewards are the Order of the Herald of War: I expect them being pretty useful in a battle).

On 17/05/2017 at 11:14 PM, KnightofLight said:

Elsecaller I think. You can teleport and soulcast the ten essences. When Jasnah took down the thieves/murderers in kharbranth by simply soulcasting them into fire. Pretty powerful IMO

I really have to agree with that. Although there are other orders with soulcasting, you could just teleport behind the Skybreaker in question and end him with your Shardblade, our soulcast them into something else.

5 hours ago, TheLerasiumFerring said:

I really have to agree with that. Although there are other orders with soulcasting, you could just teleport behind the Skybreaker in question and end him with your Shardblade, our soulcast them into something else.

Eh, I dunno about that.  From what we've seen of Elsecalling, it doesn't seem to work well over short distances.  And while I admit that being able to throw transforming lightning at people could be useful, I imagine it's a lot more useful against regular people, not other Radiants.  If Shardplate can block Voidbringer lightning, it can probably block Elsecaller lightning as well.

Which Order is the most powerful, though...as others have mentioned, it really depends what, precisely, you want done.  What the circumstances of the engagement are, in other words.  Want someone assassinated?  Probably a Lightweaver is your best bet.  Need to go one-on-one against a single enemy?  Of the Orders we've seen, probably a Skybreaker is your first choice, though I wouldn't be surprised if in some circumstances a Dustbringer or Stoneward were better.  Need to go one-on-many, against a number of weaker foes?  You'd want to call up your local Windrunner.

Basically, which Order is best for a task depends on what the task is.

8 hours ago, TheLerasiumFerring said:

Have you read the Jasnah's deleted scene?

Spoiler

Though not yet canon, it seems to put some limitations to the Surge of Transportantion for, while she is in Shadesmar, she needs to find Honor's Perpendicularity to came back (maybe influencing her returning point)... or she can use a Juncture formed by her entering in Shadesmar to return in the same place.

So I think that Transportation is more useful on the long distance (say, traveling from Alethkar to Shinovar) while on the short distance (like a battlefield) Surges like Gravitation and Abrasion could come more handy.

Edited by Rhaegar'Elin

5 hours ago, Darkness said:

precision aside, elsecalling isn't exactly subtle. It'd be hard to surprise somebody by sneaking up behind them with a cylindrical, rotating vortex of fire.

To the contrary! I think the one whose back was scorched by the flames of the Cognitive Realm would be very, very surprised.

On May 19, 2017 at 4:28 PM, TheLastElsecaller said:

Agreed.  Else caller.  Especially if you get Jasnas's personality and Sass.

On 5/19/2017 at 5:28 PM, TheLastElsecaller said:

I don't really know how to look up WoB but there is one where he said that Elsecalling is not precise even if you are practiced at it. I imagine this is because distances and locations in the cognitive realm are not identical to the physical realm counterparts. So you can elsecall to a specific street intersection but you may not end up on the corner you want because maybe the famous gas station there is bigger in the cognitive realm and throws off where you appear.

Also I feel like people think of it like anime teleporting while I think it's more like the mass teleport in warcraft 3 where it is a slow obvious build up. It's not something you use quickly as a surprise.

Edited by IAreNelson
Clarifying thoughts

11 hours ago, IAreNelson said:

Also I feel like people think of it like anime teleporting while I think it's more like the mass teleport in warcraft 3 where it is a slow obvious build up. It's not something you use quickly as a surprise.

I believe that it's a phase into the CR, speedwalk to destination(b/c distances are screwy), and phase back out. But I also believe that the phase in/phase out step would happen quickly. Reach your destination and be back the the Physical in seconds seems reasonable, since taking forever to pop back out seems horrendously inefficient, especially with how quickly the situation in a Desolation could change.

1 minute ago, The Flash said:

What if they stabbed people with shardblades from the cognitive realm? It cuts the soul, right? So why not just stab the soul fire thingy and find what happens

We don't even know if a Spren could become a Shardblade in the Cognitive Realm.

Anyway It's possible the Blade would work differently...maybe cutting only the physical or some other weirdness

Just now, Yata said:

We don't even know if a Spren could become a Shardblade in the Cognitive Realm.

Anyway It's possible the Blade would work differently...maybe cutting only the physical or some other weirdness

Aha we don't know! Oh what fun. It is a physical representation of the spiritual ideal of sharpness. Wouldn't that be represented in the cognitive realm somehow?

• Chaos locked this topic