What characters do you want to be Radiants?

TheDoomsday

Title says it all.

With the Voidbringers now on the rampage, new Radiants seem to be appearing left and right. They are even appearing in places not really relevant to the main story, such as Lift and The Stump.

I think Oathbringer and subsequent books are going to introduce lots of new surfbinders, so which characters do you think have the potential to become Radiants, and what Order could they belong to?

As a side not, when I was first reading WoR I thought there was an order of Soulcasters, of which Jasnah was a member. The shame.

9 minutes ago, TheDoomsday said:

Title says it all.

With the Voidbringers now on the rampage, new Radiants seem to be appearing left and right. They are even appearing in places not really relevant to the main story, such as Lift and The Stump.

I think Oathbringer and subsequent books are going to introduce lots of new surfbinders, so which characters do you think have the potential to become Radiants, and what Order could they belong to?

As a side not, when I was first reading WoR I thought there was an order of Soulcasters, of which Jasnah was a member. The shame.

Jasnah is an Elsecaller who can soulcast. And I want Lopen to gain a spren. Because The Lopen would be mighty as a full surge binder.

1 hour ago, Merrickz said:

I reckon Rock would make a great Surgebinder. I think a Dustbringer would be the most fitting/ coolest. Though it's unlikely as he's probably gonna become one of Kaladin's Squires

We know the main traits for Dustbringers are "Brave" and "Obedient", so i always thought it would make a cool character arc for one of Shallan's deserter body guards to become one (preferably Gaz).

3 hours ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

Jasnah is an Elsecaller who can soulcast. And I want Lopen to gain a spren. Because The Lopen would be mighty as a full surge binder.

Yes! The Lopen all the way! If he had the surge of transportation could you imagine how much fun it would be to watch him.

My picks:

Adolin as an Edgedancer as he revives his Blade: unlikely to happen, but such a nice theory.

Reddin as a Dustbringer because his character made a strong impression on me during his small scenes and I think he fits the bill.

Szeth as a Skybreaker because it is inevitable now: I don't like it, I dislike Szeth, but this one has about 99% chance of being true.

Eshonai as a Willshaper because this one too is inevitable. I am partial about it, I am willing to allow it to grow on me. I however dislike how predictable it is.

Rlain are whichever Radiant because I think this one would be interesting.

The ones I do not want to see:

Elhokar as whichever Radiant: no, just plain NO.

The ones I don't care about:

Anyone from Bridge 4. I am not overly invested in them, I don't care whichever way. I am not a fan of Lopen, I don't care if he becomes a Radiant or not, I don't really fancy him becoming a more prominent protagonist.

Personally I'd prefer if the next few radiants to be introduced were new characters we haven't met yet. It just seems a bit illogical if only people which are already part of the story keep bonding spren.

31 minutes ago, geralt said:

Personally I'd prefer if the next few radiants to be introduced were new characters we haven't met yet. It just seems a bit illogical if only people which are already part of the story keep bonding spren.

Yeah, it'd seem kind of ridiculous for all the characters to all of sudden pop into Knight Radiant existence. 

3 hours ago, Blightsong said:

We know the main traits for Dustbringers are "Brave" and "Obedient", so i always thought it would make a cool character arc for one of Shallan's deserter body guards to become one (preferably Gaz).

Man, considering their history, that would annoy Kaladin to no end.

(Of course, that might be a plus from Shallan's perspective)

Edited by Agewalker

45 minutes ago, ryshadium90 said:

Yeah, it'd seem kind of ridiculous for all the characters to all of sudden pop into Knight Radiant existence. 

Actually Brandon explained Radiants drew in more Radiants and knowing a Radiant increased your chances of becoming one. Sprens just aren't likely to pick random people into the middle of nowhere, not when they can pick people close to those having already been picked.

I say, most of the new Radiants will be taken out of the already existing character. Also, the cast is already big, making it bigger wouldn't serve the story right.

1 minute ago, Agewalker said:

Man, considering their history, that would annoy Kaladin to no end.

(Of course, that might be a plus from Shallan's perspective)

It'd be cool for him to come around and for them to reach a mutual understanding.

The conversations Lopen would have with his spren would be gold. 

Adolin. I know its very unlikely if not impossible, but I would love to see Adolin as a Windrunner. I think that would create an interesting dynamic between Kaladin and Adolin. Realistically, it would be cool to see him as a Dustbringer. 

Teft. Even though I think its pretty wrapped up that he's Kaladins number two, I think Teft would make an excellent Radiant. I think it would serve as the perfect redemption for him.

Just now, Kered said:

Adolin. I know its very unlikely if not impossible, but I would love to see Adolin as a Windrunner. I think that would create an interesting dynamic between Kaladin and Adolin. Realistically, it would be cool to see him as a Dustbringer. 

I understand your reasoning and I agree with your motivation, but Adolin would never work as a Windrunner. He however would work brilliantly as an Edgedancer which I think would work really well with a Windrunner as a team.  

Just now, maxal said:

I understand your reasoning and I agree with your motivation, but Adolin would never work as a Windrunner. He however would work brilliantly as an Edgedancer which I think would work really well with a Windrunner as a team.  

Yeah, thats why I said basically impossible. He just doesn't fit with the Windrunners ideals. Only reason I brought it up is because if Adolin did become a Windrunner, the banter between him and Kaladin would be hilarious. 

2 minutes ago, Kered said:

Yeah, thats why I said basically impossible. He just doesn't fit with the Windrunners ideals. Only reason I brought it up is because if Adolin did become a Windrunner, the banter between him and Kaladin would be hilarious. 

I think it could be hilarious if he is an Edgedancer :)

5 hours ago, maxal said:

My picks:

Adolin as an Edgedancer as he revives his Blade: unlikely to happen, but such a nice theory.

Reddin as a Dustbringer because his character made a strong impression on me during his small scenes and I think he fits the bill.

Szeth as a Skybreaker because it is inevitable now: I don't like it, I dislike Szeth, but this one has about 99% chance of being true.

Eshonai as a Willshaper because this one too is inevitable. I am partial about it, I am willing to allow it to grow on me. I however dislike how predictable it is.

Rlain are whichever Radiant because I think this one would be interesting.

The ones I do not want to see:

Elhokar as whichever Radiant: no, just plain NO.

The ones I don't care about:

Anyone from Bridge 4. I am not overly invested in them, I don't care whichever way. I am not a fan of Lopen, I don't care if he becomes a Radiant or not, I don't really fancy him becoming a more prominent protagonist.

Ridiculous we all know bridgemen would make fine KRs! Alas I scoff in thy direction because

Rock would be the FINEST stonewarden and Lopen is obviously the future edgedancer husband of Lift! ...

lol jk I think Adolin will be a dustbringer although I'm not sure how this will work with his blade.

Edited by Radiant_Jaeger

1 hour ago, maxal said:

Actually Brandon explained Radiants drew in more Radiants and knowing a Radiant increased your chances of becoming one. Sprens just aren't likely to pick random people into the middle of nowhere, not when they can pick people close to those having already been picked.

I say, most of the new Radiants will be taken out of the already existing character. Also, the cast is already big, making it bigger wouldn't serve the story right.

When I said all the characters, I meant the ones in the main arc, not the ones in the interludes. I'm perfectly fine with seeing new ones such as Lift, and Ym, maybe even Rysn. I like that idea of chosing people close to those already picked, but I don't want everyone to become a Radiant. There needs to be some diversity.

3 minutes ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

and Lopen is obviously the future edgedancer husband of Lift! ...

I can see that,

Spoiler

considering his arm was starting to grow back at the end of WoR, which seems to signify his ability with the Surge of Progression.

Edited by ryshadium90

30 minutes ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

If everyone wasn't entitled to their opinion I would downcote you but alas people will stick to their ideas no matter how ridiculous.

I will take for granted you meant to be funny and you ill-phrased your thoughts because this one liner truly comes across in a very bad way.

28 minutes ago, ryshadium90 said:

When I said all the characters, I meant the ones in the main arc, not the ones in the interludes. I'm perfectly fine with seeing new ones such as Lift, and Ym, maybe even Rysn. I like that idea of chosing people close to those already picked, but I don't want everyone to become a Radiant. There needs to be some diversity.

Oh I understand better. I do agree. I too find it a tad predictable to know each one of the chosen 10 will most likely be, not only Radiants, but our main Radiant characters. 

I am unsure about Rysn: I am thinking her purpose in the story is something else entirely, but I do not know what.

Edited by maxal

48 minutes ago, maxal said:

I will take for granted you meant to be funny and you ill-phrased your thoughts because this one liner truly comes across in a very bad way.

Oh I understand better. I do agree. I too find it a tad predictable to know each one of the chosen 10 will most likely be, not only Radiants, but our main Radiant characters. 

I am unsure about Rysn: I am thinking her purpose in the story is something else entirely, but I do not know what.

:ph34r: uuuh yes. Definitely was a bad joke....

also wouldnt willshaper work for Rysn?

3 hours ago, maxal said:

This is actually one of my favorite theories. Killing his own father when ordered to despite the fact that it will forever brand him as a patricide and make his life more difficult fits being brave and obedient. He also is misunderstood like Dustbringers seemed to be. 

1 hour ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

This is actually one of my favorite theories. Killing his own father when ordered to despite the fact that it will forever brand him as a patricide and make his life more difficult fits being brave and obedient. He also is misunderstood like Dustbringers seemed to be. 

Oh, you mean Redin, the bastard. I wasn't sure who you guys meant, lol

I think the characters in the interludes may become Radiants. And the interludes are there to stop it from feeling like these new Stormlight infused characters we're just dumped in hap-hazardly. Rysn would make a great companion to Shallan and Jasnah, maybe a Truthwatcher or another Elsecaller.