Entertainment Reviews(and Debate)

On 27 juni 2017 at 10:04 PM, The Flash said:

I enjoyed one thing about all these movies: the cinemasins videos

Those kinds of things are fun. The only reason I look forward to the next Fifty Shades is because I want to see Jeremy Jahns destroy it (with all due respect to Fifty Shades fans, but I just cant see why anyone would want to watch them).

Edited by Toaster Retribution

On 5/22/2017 at 11:57 AM, Captains Domon said:

LIST OF MOVIES YOU SHOULD NEVER WATCH UNLESS YOU'RE WITH FRIENDS (So you can make fun of them):

16. Thor: The Dark World

Yes! I'm not the only one who thought that this was one of Marvel's much weaker movies. The plot line wasn't as interesting. Well, the Aether was cool, but otherwise...Jane kind of annoys me in this movie.

Not sure how I feel about Ragnarok coming out.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite and, in my opinion, the most powerful ending is one that is bittersweet. Here is my list of top movie, books etc of best bittersweet endings. My favorite is #1, but the rest are in no particular order:

1. Malazan Book of the Fallen seties by Erikson (book)

2. The Black Company series by Cook (book)

3. The Seven Samurai (movie) also includes magnificent 7, Samurai 7 etc.

4. Lord of the Rings- books and movies

5. Kobo and the Two Strings (movie)

6. The Hydrogen Sonata by Banks (books)

7. 11-22-63 by King (book)

8. Mistborn Era 1 by (do I really need to say?)

9. The Grace of Kings by Liu (book)

10. Echoes of the Great Song by Gemmell (book)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, friends. I am not dead. Nor is Bayle. Given our busy summers, it has been hard to get on here often. But we're back.

For my first review of the new season, I will be reviewing Spider-Man: Homecoming

I loved Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man. Andrew Gar-. Wait. Andrew Garfield was Spider-Man? In two movies??! Huh. Then I saw Tom Holland. I really liked his debut in Captain America: Civil War. I just hoped they wouldn't butcher his solo movie. When I saw this movie, I actually almost cried. It was amazing. Tom Holland has managed to bring in his own spin on Spider-Man, and it is awesome. I love how he's not a senior. I loved his inexperience. And, surprisingly, I didn't hate Karen.

The movie's overall tone is lighthearted. While the words aren't said, the theme is still "With great power comes great responsibility". Peter learns that being Spider-Man is more than the suit, and that's awesome.

Michael Keaton as the Vulture was...I can't even describe how good it is. He was very different from other villains in the MCU. From his point of view, he was doing the right thing. He wanted to help his family, keep them safe, and all of that. Also, as a plus, he didn't die! Most of these villains have proved to be only a one-shot character, but not now. I'm glad.

The high school life was just like any other and it reminded me of how much I hate school.

Lastly, I really liked the costume design. Within the costumes, they have something that reminds comic fans of their costumes in the comics. Spidey's hoodie suit was great. His Stark suit was like Steve Ditko. And the Iron Spider tease at the end was eye candy. Vulture wears a coat with a fur poof around the neck, resembling the stupid costume in the comics. Shocker wears a jacket remarkably similar to the spandex he has. Looking at these was awesome.

In all, Spider-Man: Homecoming was a terrific movie, a homage to everything that we loved about the comics. It even has a few reminders of the good 'ol Tobey Maguire days. I can't wait for the sequel.

1 minute ago, Captains Domon said:

The Top 10 Westerns:

10. The Magnificent Seven (2016)

9. Back to the Future Part III

8. El Dorado

7. True Grit (2010)

6. Silverado

5. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

4. The Magnificent Seven (1963)

3. Stagecoach

2. True Grit (1969)

1. Shane

The Good the Bad and the Ugly should be on that list and probably deserving of the number one spot in my opinion. Thanks for sharing your list though!

18 hours ago, Captains Domon said:

The Top 10 Westerns:

10. The Magnificent Seven (2016)

9. Back to the Future Part III

8. El Dorado

7. True Grit (2010)

6. Silverado

5. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

4. The Magnificent Seven (1963)

3. Stagecoach

2. True Grit (1969)

1. Shane

Once Upon a Time in the West, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Tombstone, The Outlaw Josie Wales. All good movies that you listed too

The Top 10 Avatar: The Last Airbender episodes:

10. The Headband

9. The Waterbending Master

8. The Puppetmaster

7. Avatar Aang

6. The Tales of Ba Sing Se

5. The Guru

4. Zuko Alone

3. The Ember Island Players

2. The Blind Bandit

1. The Blue Spirit

Honorable Mentions include The Crossroads of Destiny, The Western Air Temple, The Boiling Rock(Parts 1 &2), Bitter Work, Appa's Lost Days, and The Southern Air Temple

On 7/17/2017 at 0:26 PM, Ammanas said:

My favorite and, in my opinion, the most powerful ending is one that is bittersweet. Here is my list of top movie, books etc of best bittersweet endings. My favorite is #1, but the rest are in no particular order:

1. Malazan Book of the Fallen seties by Erikson (book)

2. The Black Company series by Cook (book)

3. The Seven Samurai (movie) also includes magnificent 7, Samurai 7 etc.

4. Lord of the Rings- books and movies

5. Kobo and the Two Strings (movie)

6. The Hydrogen Sonata by Banks (books)

7. 11-22-63 by King (book)

8. Mistborn Era 1 by (do I really need to say?)

9. The Grace of Kings by Liu (book)

10. Echoes of the Great Song by Gemmell (book)

I second Malazan. Bittersweet might be an understatement. 

The Bestest 10 Film Composers: (Next to them will be what I consider their best film score)

10. Bill Conti (Rocky)

9. Danny Elfman (Spider-Man)

8. Alan Silvestri (Back to the Future)

7. John Powell (Jason Bourne)

6. Howard Shore (Lord of the Rings)

5. Michael Giacchino (The Incredibles)

4. Elmer Bernstein (The Magnificent Seven)

3. James Newton Howard (Unbreakable)

2. Hans Zimmer (Inception)

1. John Williams (Indiana Jones)

4 hours ago, Captains Domon said:

The Bestest 10 Film Composers: (Next to them will be what I consider their best film score)

10. Bill Conti (Rocky)

9. Danny Elfman (Spider-Man)

8. Alan Silvestri (Back to the Future)

7. John Powell (Jason Bourne)

6. Howard Shore (Lord of the Rings)

5. Michael Giacchino (The Incredibles)

4. Elmer Bernstein (The Magnificent Seven)

3. James Newton Howard (Unbreakable)

2. Hans Zimmer (Inception)

1. John Williams (Indiana Jones)

It's missing James Horner and Ennio Morricone, but otherwise pretty solid. 

John Williams is the indisputably great film composer of all time so far. In addition to Indiana Jones he's also written Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind, Jaws, Star Wars, Superman, ET, Jurassic Park, Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter, and the Olympic Fanfare. That's just the big ones. Dude has more Oscar nominations than anyone but Walt Disney. 

I'll make a list too: ten of my favorite characters in fiction (I'll limit myself to one per series). The first one is my favorite, the rest is in random order:

1. Kelsier (Mistborn/Cosmere)

2. Legolas (Lord of the Rings)

3. Stannis Baratheon (ASoIaF)

4. Adolin Kholin (Stormlight/Cosmere)

5. Arthas Menethil (Warcraft)

6. Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

7. Rocket Raccoon (MCU)

8. Fred Weasley (Harry Potter)

9. Sand dan Glokta (First Law)

10. Lan Mandragoran (Wheel of Time)

An Idiot's Summary of Avatar: The Last Airbender ( @ryshadium90 Nice Toph picture)

Avatar: Da Last Airbender is about blue aliens. Wait, no, dat's different. Dat be James Cameron, right? Huh. Wait, wait, wait. Lemme start over. Avatar: Da Last Airbendie is about a baldie kid who can move metal with his mind. No, uh, dat be Magnetto, doy. The baldie can contwol air, fire, water, and dirt. He supposed to, uh, fight bad Fire people and learn how to bend, uh, things. Becuz he don't know how to do fire, water, dirt yet, becuz reasons. He wides a buffalo that flies like Supaman. There are other peeps who help the baldie along the way, like a bratty girlie who loves hope. There's a kid with a boomerang that, uh, does things. Then there's a blind girl( she be needing contacts, dat help blind people). But then there a Fire boy who, uh duh, was baddie, but now he's goodie, but then he uh baddie again, then goodie. Well, uh, doy, the baldie and his fweinds screw around and then defeat the bad Fire pewople.Uuuuuhhhhhhhhgghh, the end.

An Idiot's Summary of Star Wars

Star Twek is a, duh, sci-fi thingy wit lazers and munsters and spacechips and uhhh, swords called lightphasers? Huh. A whiny boy finds out he is, doy, a Chosen numero uno and is uh duh, supposed to restore the invisibwe thingy called the Force. Getting wid of the black and replacing it wit white! It be cool and fantabulous! Den he, uh, gets cweepy wit, uh, Thor's girlfriend and den becomes evil because of reasons, doy. Den later, like five leap years or somethink, anudder boy becomes Chosen One and, duh, is whiny. Den he finds out dat bad black, evil helmet mann is his daddy-o and uh, it be the other boi from earlier. Den he restores blance or his daddy does or he does or, uuuhh what was me saying? Huh. Well, now dere be new movies wit hot girl who is, uhhhh, hot and, duhhh, yah. Uuuuuuhhhhhhhghgggghhh, the end.

2 hours ago, Captains Domon said:

An Idiot's Summary of Star Wars

Star Twek is a, duh, sci-fi thingy wit lazers and munsters and spacechips and uhhh, swords called lightphasers? Huh. A whiny boy finds out he is, doy, a Chosen numero uno and is uh duh, supposed to restore the invisibwe thingy called the Force. Getting wid of the black and replacing it wit white! It be cool and fantabulous! Den he, uh, gets cweepy wit, uh, Thor's girlfriend and den becomes evil because of reasons, doy. Den later, like five leap years or somethink, anudder boy becomes Chosen One and, duh, is whiny. Den he finds out dat bad black, evil helmet mann is his daddy-o and uh, it be the other boi from earlier. Den he restores blance or his daddy does or he does or, uuuhh what was me saying? Huh. Well, now dere be new movies wit hot girl who is, uhhhh, hot and, duhhh, yah. Uuuuuuhhhhhhhghgggghhh, the end.

Not to mention the talking frog, and I believe the swords are called Light savers.

EDIT: speaking of movies, anyone heard of HISHE?

Edited by Sami

Hey all! Rodel here. Today, I'm reviewing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. (SPOILERS)

Okay, so basically everything you loved about the first one is back in this one. The only difference is that Groot is now Baby Groot. And he's a toy ad. But that was fine. Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, Yondu, Rocket, and even Nebula are back for another swing around the block. But there are some things that I didn't like.

While Drax has a bigger role and more character development, I didn't like all the gags that revolved around him. Sometimes, with Drax, James Gunn went too far. Another thing was the whole gag with Taserface. Yeah, yeah, the name is stupid, but is it that funny? Honestly? No. A joke is never funny the tenth time you hear it. I also didn't like how everyone made fun of Mantis. She is actually a very important character in the comics, and her appearance and demeanor drastically changed for this movie, something that Steve Englehart(the creator of Mantis) did not appreciate.

On the other hand, I loved Yondu. His character in the first one was good, but this one really let him shine. Then the ride was ruined. But Yondu's death is one done out of love and shows us and Peter how much Yondu cared for him. My favorite scene was definitely when Yondu, Rocket, Baby Groot, and Kraglin break out with Yondu's arrow. My favorite quote was *drumroll* "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!" If there was a hidden gem in here, it was Yondu.

Ego was very different for a Marvel villain. I actually really liked him. He and Peter share some tender moments that I liked. Then Peter finds out he killed his mother and everything changes, just like that. It was pretty sad to see that, but I was expecting it. Ego is a villain in the comics. You can't expect them to change.

In all, I loved this movie. The visuals were spectacular. Awesome Mix Vol. 2 was even better than the first volume. And it's a great ride. Those are my thoughts.

Quick about Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 (Spoilers!)

I think GotG2 is even better than GotG1 (which I love). It just feels deeper. Gunn really knows his characters. The worldbuilding is great too, the plot twists awesome and chilling, and the humor top-notch. I really felt that Marvel gave Gunn a ton if cash and said:

"Do whatever you storming want."

And that is exactly what James Gunn did. I also loved Yondu, and loved that Gunn had the guts to kill him at the end of the movie.

Also, I was apparently the only one on the internet who liked the Taserface gag.

An Idiot's Summary of Indiana Jones

Indiananan Jones is about dat space guy from Star Twek finding old things and acting wike dey are great, doy. Dere are four movies about this peepsie, and dey are awesomefultastic! Duh uno one is abooiut a golden fancy box and God getting mad at Nazis stuff. It getty scary and faces be melting. Duh next one is about magick socks or somethig like dat, uh duh. But dat Japanesee kiddie be hilarious, doy. Den, uh, turd one is about Monty Python and the, uhhh, Cup that, uh, is, uhhhhh, be magic and things! The spacie dude's daddy is innit and dies, I think. Then, the fourth one is Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. This is the best one. The story and the characters are great, Shia LaBeouf is awesome in it, and the twist ending with the aliens was cool. A lot of people hate this one, but I say......HECK NO!!! THIS MOVIE IS THE BEST ONE EVER, AND DESERVES YOUR RESPECT FOR ITS TERRIFIC PLOT. THEY SAY THEY'RE MAKING A FIFTH ONE, BUT I SAY SCREW THAT!!! THIS IS A PERFECT ENDING FOR IT!! Dat bein said and dun, I be dun here, so I can watch dat wonderfully movie again. Uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhgggghhh, the end.  

An Idiot's Summary of The Lord of the Rings

When you feel duh need to wead sometink dat is super long and boring, wead dis! The Lord of the Flies is abut a thingy called a hobbitses and he has a magick ring dat makes like dat hot chick Invisible Waman. He has a bunch of friends who help him, wike Dubbledore and three other hobbitses, and Eragon, and Legoland, and one of the seven dwarfs, and dat guy who dies in all the movies in existence. Dey run into danger like dat, uh doy, thingy that is, uh, uh, uh, b-bl-l-ack? Is dat racist? And dey like find twolls and Santa's elves and Andy Serkis. Dey twavel to a volcano and destwoy duh ring, den, duh, dat main hobbitses leaves and it's not dat sad becuz he annoying. Heh, doy. Uuuuhhhggghhhh, the end.

Actors who deserve (or deserved) Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor:

1. Hugh Jackman for his performance in Logan

2. Christopher Reeve for his performance in Superman II

3. John Wayne for his performance in The Shootist

4. Kirk Douglas for his performance in The Man from Snowy River

5. Idris Elba for his performance in The Dark Tower

6. Matt Damon for his performance in The Martian

7. Benedict Cumberbatch for his performance in The Imitation Game

8. Leonardo DiCaprio for his performance in Inception

9. Andy Serkis for his performance in War for the Planet of the Apes

10. James McAvoy for his performance in Split

11. Jim Carrey for his performance in The Truman Show