Gaz was murdered... but by whom.

ddleg

These are all quotes from after Kaladin survives the highstorm leading up to Gaz's disappearance. 

Chapter 38 "Envisager" - While Kal was recovering

"Gaz had come to see Kaladin, then had snorted to himself in amusement. He'd likely told his superiors that Kaladin would die. Men didn't live long with wounds like those."

Chapter 40 "Eyes of red and blue"

"They tried to make Rock bridgeleader, sure, but we just started calling you "captain" and him "squadleader." Made Gaz angry"

Chapter 43 "The wretch" - As bridge 4 are introduced to Lamaril's replacement

"From now on", Hashal said, " aside from doing normal bridge duty, each crew will be assigned only one type of work duty. Gaz!"

The short bridge sergeant poked out from behind the palanquin. Kaladin hadn't noticed him there, behind the porters and soldiers. "Yes, Brightness?" Gaz bowed several times"

Chapter 46 "Child of tanavast" - After Kaladin rides the highstorm

"The sphere in the corner flickered. Then it's light faded away, leaving them in darkness. 

"Storm it!" Moash muttered. "That eel Gaz. He's been giving us dun spheres again."

"Afore you yell at me," Gaz said as Kaladin arrived, "understand that I can't change anything here." The slaves were bunched up, watched over by a pair of soldiers in wrinkled green coats.

"You're bridge sergeant," Kaladin said. Teft stepped up beside him. He hadn't gotten a shave, though he'd begun keeping his short, grey beard neatly trimmed.

"Yeah," Gaz said, "but I don't make the assignments any more. Brightness Hashal wants to do it herself. In the name of her husband of course."

Chapter 49 "To care" - In the chasms after Kaladin decides to train them in the spear.

"Unfortunately, we can't come back empty-handed. The last thing we want is Hashal deciding to send Gaz down to supervise."

"I haven't given up on finding an easier way out of here than fighting," Kaladin said to him. "If we never returned, Gaz and the others the others would probably just assume that a chasmfeind got us. If there's some way to reach the other side..."

Chapter 53 "Dunny" 

"They were already beginning to move like warriors, light on their feet, moving erratically, making it difficult for archers to draw a bead on them. Would Gaz or Sadeas's men notice?"

Chapter 55 "An emerald broam" - A week after Dunnys death.

"Not at all" Skar said, grinning. "I figure once someone is trying to get you killed, all expectations of your loyalty are tossed to the storm. But if someone were to go to Gaz..."

"Maybe we should post a watch," Drehy said. "You know, make sure nobody sneaks off to talk to Gaz."

Chapter 59 "An honor" - This is the chapter where Gaz is first mentioned as been missing.

"Gaz still hadn't reappeared. It had been a week now and still no sign of him."

"Thank you, Brightness Hashal," Kaladin said, trying -but failing- to keep the stiffness and hostility out of his voice. "May I ask? Gaz hasn't been seen for some days now. Is he well?"

"No" Kaladin waited for further reply, but she did't give one."

Whatever happened to him Hashal know's about it. 

Edited by Duskshard

These are all quotes from after Kaladin survives the highstorm leading up to Gaz's disappearance. 

Chapter 38 "Envisager" - While Kal was recovering

Chapter 40 "Eyes of red and blue"

Chapter 43 "The wretch" - As bridge 4 are introduced to Lamaril's replacement

Chapter 46 "Child of tanavast" - After Kaladin rides the highstorm

Chapter 49 "To care" - In the chasms after Kaladin decides to train them in the spear.

Chapter 53 "Dunny" 

Chapter 55 "An emerald broam" - A week after Dunnys death.

Chapter 59 "An honor" - This is the chapter where Gaz is first mentioned as been missing.

Whatever happened to him Hashal know's about it. 

Huh, I was so certain he disappeared along with Lamaril, my bad. Though it's still likely Gaz was executed because he failed to deal with Kaladin. 

• Chaos locked this topic