Japanese copy of Mistborn

29 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Thanks! I will, try, to figure it out. My Japanese is pretty terrible now-adays and even at my best I still was barely 3-grade (or so) literate haha.

Edit: Google translate gave me this as the title:

"Mistbone - The Fog of the Fog <1> The Gray Empire"

Is this, perhaps, a TenSoon fanfic!? (/s)

Edited by CaptainRyan

On 4/11/2017 at 10:37 AM, CaptainRyan said:

Thanks! I will, try, to figure it out. My Japanese is pretty terrible now-adays and even at my best I still was barely 3-grade (or so) literate haha.

Edit: Google translate gave me this as the title:

"Mistbone - The Fog of the Fog <1> The Gray Empire"

Is this, perhaps, a TenSoon fanfic!? (/s)

The author is Brandon Sanderson, so definitely not a fanfic. This really is the Japanese translation of Mistborn.

Google Translate is still pretty terrible when it comes to Japanese, but in this case it's understandable because "Mistborn" is a word invented by Brandon.

"ミストボーン" (mi-su-to-bo~n) is how you'd write "Mistborn" phonetically in katakana. Since Japanese phonetics is way more limited than English, the Japanese pronunciation isn't exact.

霧の落とし子 (kiri no otoshiko) can be roughly translated as "spawn of the mist", which can reasonably be rephrased as "mist-born".

灰色の帝国 (haiiro no teikoku) is more or less "ash-colored empire". I think the translator simply used his/her artistic license to make the title sound cool, instead of directly translating "final empire". It's an appropriate title, anyway.

"ブランドン サンダースン"  (bu-ra-n-do-n sa-n-da~so-n) is how you'd write Brandon Sanderson phonetically in katakana.

Edited by skaa

I own those and can confirm that yes, they're authentic. You can even see the cover art on the gallery page at brandonsanderson.com. Japanese translations frequently play around with titles and with longer books that need to be split up you can get situations like Mistborn where each individual volume has its own subtitle. Hence you get the following breakdown in Japanese:

• Mistborn The Final Empire became just Mistborn in three volumes titled 'The Ashen Empire', 'The Blood-red Sun' and 'Dancer in the White Sea'
  • Well of Ascension became Mist Spirit, divided into 'The Remaining Power', 'The King's Trial' and 'The Hidden Words'
  • Hero of Ages became Mistcloak, divided into 'A New Savior', 'The Ancient Voice' and 'The Eternal World'.
Edited by Weltall

2 hours ago, Weltall said:

Mistborn The Final Empire became just Mistborn in three volumes titled 'The Ashen Empire', 'The Blood-red Sun' and 'Dancer in the White Sea'

Oh I see. So ミストボーン ("Mistborn") is the series title while 霧の落とし子 ("Mistborn") is the first book split into three volumes?

Edited by skaa

Actually they're one and the same. The latter is just a translation of sorts for the Japanese readers so they know what 'Mistborn' is supposed to mean, more or less. The Japanese titles for Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages (Mist Spirit and Mistcloak respectively) have similar dual titles. On top of this, each of the three volumes those books was divided into for publication got its own subtitle.

• Chaos locked this topic