Zennix

I'd be surprised if that wasn't an option in the Diagram. It's pragmatic and completely ignores most established morality, so I'm a little surprised Taravangian hasn't already ordered the murder of the Parshmen in his kingdom(s).

6 hours ago, Jondesu said:

I'd be surprised if that wasn't an option in the Diagram. It's pragmatic and completely ignores most established morality, so I'm a little surprised Taravangian hasn't already ordered the murder of the Parshmen in his kingdom(s).

He tried saying that those below a certain IQ should commit suicide on one of his "better days" and was persuaded not to do that, so I imagine that he's considered it but wasn't allowed to because of the implications. Now that the world is going downhill, I can see people reacting with a bit less resistance to a Parshmen massacre proposal.

The other thing to note was that only recently has he gained control of the rest of Jah Keved, so any orders in the past would have done little outside of Kharbranth.

I honestly don't think Taravangian will slaughter them. At least not initially. He's trying to unite everyone in his own misguided way, and nothing creates allies like a mutual threat. He'll leave them alive long enough to create a panic, and then exterminate to show he has the situation in hand.

His entire MO is to create loyalty through subtle manipulation, regardless of the cost in blood. The Parshmen will be used as another tool in his operation. 

Edited by Calderis

7 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Because it would have required interfacing with the common people, something which wouldn't have worked. Note an important difference between how the Diagram works and the unacceptable plans that Taravangian made when he was extremely intelligent: The latter made plans which required the consent of the general populace, something which would've never worked as they would've never accepted his arguments. However the former, the Diagram, planned details which circumvented the population acceptance, and simply just forced events which manipulated the population into a specific set of actions using Szeth, and presumably other subterfuges. The important thing is that the general people are not consciously aware that someone is manipulating or forcing them towards a specific end goal. An edict to murder the parshmen would never have worked, and falls outside of unknown manipulation by being out in the open. The only way that the Diagram would've dictated the elimination of the parshmen would've been if it had called for a bunch of assassins to go around secretly killing all the parshman, and that would've been suspicious, and highly ineffective. Therefore, while the Diagram could warn of the parshmen becoming voidbringers, it couldn't prevent it from happening, short of preventing the Everstorm, as there would've been no way to convince everyone that the parshmen were a danger.

True, I didn't say that just issuing an order to exterminate the Parshmen explicitly would have been in the Diagram (though I wasn't clear).  I suspect he'll have a plan in there to take them out at some point, whether it ends up being successfully implemented or not. 

• Chaos locked this topic