March Madness

Kplynch21

8 minutes ago, john203 said:

Here is the first round of match-ups!

@thegatorgirl00, this, instead of being just about who would win in a fight, also has matchup involving artistry, friendship, cosmere knowledge, and which character would make a better mate. One of the round one matchups: who would you rather marry: Clubs, or Elhokar?

14895431784401083399312.jpg

I like this idea, if we were to expand on it we could accomplish something where there are maybe 4 different smaller brackets of one category, then in the final four it could just be an all-around contest.

Well, I guess I can start this shindig off! I would rather marry Clubs. I would much prefer Ham over Clubs, but Clubs isn't bad, by any means. More to the point, Elhokar needs a few books before I would even be able to tolerate him, let alone marry him. Quit whining and RULE already! Nobody expects you to be as great as Gavilar, but don't be this bad. It has been a while since I read Mistborn, though, so my memory of Clubs is a little fuzzy, but I do remember liking him well enough. I just want to smack Elhokar, though.

Love this idea, especially the themed matches.

I'm just going to list my winners and why, some are biased of course.

Syl - can transform into things and Straff seems more of a 'have other people do my art sort of thing.'

Jasnah - Freevote, and I never liked Hrathen.

Miles -  Poor, poor Shallan.  With what I know of lightweaving, I can't see how she'd beat someone who can heal from anything.

Adolin - Sure, Telsin treated Wax so well, she'd make a great friend...

Clubs - Grumpy, sure, but more certain/solid and not as...flighty (?) as Elhokar.  Plus could copper cloud/command an army in a pinch.

LightSong - This is one of the tougher battles in the first round.  Both he and Sisi would probably make great friends, but I can't vote against LS for the laughs alone.

Handerwym - Sorry Raoden (I'm assuming that's Rao,) I get some people would consider Aons artistic, but have you read Handerwym's annotations?  No contest.

Dockson - Free vote, and Dox is one of my favorite Cosmere characters.

The-man-known-as-Taln - This was actually tougher than first glance, because although Yomen would have almost no Cosmere awareness, the man known as Taln may be 1.) insane 2.) remember nothing and 3.) may not even be a herald.  But despite all that, he gets the bare nod over someone we know (I think) has no Cosmere knowledge.

Wax - WOW what a tough free vote.  Wax or TenSoon is basically a coin flip and I already regret not choosing TenSoon.

Breeze - Dilaf would kill you and Breeze would ultimately make a great friend once you got past some of the...uniqueness.

Navani - Both probably have limited to no Cosmere awareness, but I'll take a Fabrial Engineer over Sadeas anyday.

Wit - I LOVE THIS MATCHUP.  Wit vs Szeth would be a comedy goldmine.  But assuming Wit using all of his various Hoid abilities, Szeth has no chance even if Wit really can't harm anyone.

Kaladin - I ALSO LOVE THIS MATCHUP.  Kaladin vs Tindwyl gets into some serious magic system vs magic system discussions, and this battle would almost entirely depend on the specifics.  (Metalminds full, stormlight amount, where it's held, who knows what about the others abilities etc.)  Overall without abilities Kaladin is by far the better fighter, and I'll take him by a smidge with abilities, but again, that entirely depends on the specifics of the fight.

6th of the Dusk - Don't get me wrong, I love the whole stick thing.  And 6th of the Dusk doesn't seem to have much in terms of artistry.  But stick is a stick.  No contest.  (6th of the Dusk is also my favorite Cosmere short story, so I'm a bit biased.)

Baon - Free vote.  This is the first matchup I really don't like, just because I don't really like one of the characters and the other I know nothing about.  But Baon is apparently in the 17th Shard, so he wins.

Updated with second half to avoid double post.

Dalinar - I so badly want to pick Ham, but I have to assume investiture is in play, and even without a shardblade I think I'd take a stormlight and surge infused Dalinar.

Wayne - Not even a question.

Bleeder - This is a little tough.  Susebron has tons of power, but as far as I know that power does not lend itself to awareness like Ascending does.  Bleeder may be a bit crazy, but she knows more about the Cosmere than Suse.  (If I'm misremembering Warbreaker and WoB's and that many breaths does cause some kind of Ascending knowledge, this vote changes.)

Nazh - There are not enough words to describe how badly I want Lift to win this and advance.  She is one of my favorite characters.  She would do so well in so many other categories.  So so much more.  But even I can't conjure a way that she is more Cosmere aware than Nazh.  (I mean I could say the reason Lift is the way she is with not wanting to get older is because the Nightwatcher showed her the future where Lift plays a huge role in this galaxy wide battle and Lift saw all the pieces moving about but has repressed the memory and hence part of her desire to stay young.  But I don't think that's a valid argument.  Not missing by much, but still missing.)

Kelsier - I know I know, Denth is one of the 5 scholars and we can presume has some cosmere awareness.  But we don't really know.  And besides, Kelsier a.) Ascended, however briefly b.) definitely knows about gods and shards and the existence of other planets c.) hacked the magic to come back to life d.) is or was at one point on friendly and speaking terms with one of the most powerful beings in the Cosmere (and heck, was his de facto boss at one point) and e.) is Kelsier.  The man who still beat the Lord Ruler even though the Lord Ruler killed him.  Kelsier wins.

Khriss - This is tough, owing a lot to my very very limited knowledge of Khriss.  They are both scholars, and I wouldn't exactly consider that art, but what I know of Elend's fighting seems a lot more blunt.  Khriss's overwhelming cosmere awareness HAS to lend itself to more artistry somehow than what Elend has.

MeLaan - MeLaan, as a spouse, is one of the slam dunk no thought required matchups of this tournament, for oh so so many reasons.

Vasher - Vivienna may have been taught Cosmere awareness by Vasher, but we don't know for certain, and even if she was taught, that knowledge was passed on by...Vasher.  Maybe Vivienna went on a Khriss like tour of the Cosmere, but until that becomes canon (unlikely) Vasher wins.

Mr. T - Look, I so badly want to pick Ironeyes.  I'd pick him in literally any other scenario battle.  But artistry?  Talk about being screwed by the selection committee :P

Marasi - Not much for artistry I'd imagine, but that little bit will be more than Eshonai.

Kenton - Eh.

Steris - Steris seems actually really sweet, and would be a great friend.  Zane would be that crazy great friend until he kills you.  So he loses.

Sazed - Lol poor Shai.  Would love to see her advance, but so so few people are beating Sazed on Cosmere Awareness.

Vin - I feel bad seeing Silence lose, a great character from a great short story.  And she would make a great friend.  But besides Vin being my second favorite cosmere character, Vin takes the cake here for a ton of reasons.

Edward L - Oh damnation I love that Mr. Suit vs. Tonk Fah is a friendship battle.  I'm tempted to go Tonk Fah for the pets, but those pets end up dying.  With Mr. Suit you have potential for...advancement, money and connections I guess?  Both are not exactly 'friend' material, but someone's gotta win.

Galladon - A reverse of some of the above battles.  The Lord Ruler would probably win at least three categories verse all but the very top echelon of super strong characters (and Kelsier.)  But for artistry?  Did you see the Final Empire?  Not buying it.

Edited by What's a Seawolf?
Updated to avoid double post

I'll do the right side.

Dalinar Kholin -Against both Plate and Blade, a Thug has no chance.

Wayne - I dislike this category, but Wayne is at least funny, and Jak is kind of dumb. I also think that Wayne could actually show some devotion, but Jak is into himself too much. 

Bleeder - She is using a spike made from a metal from a different Shard. She's not going to just run across that randomly.

Nazh - Well, he's a worldhopper. Lift steals pancakes.

Kelsier - I don't know much about Denth and whether he learned about other planets, but

Kelsier learned a lot in Secret History.

Elend - Elend works on writing good speeches and Khriss has Nazh draw everything for her.

Spook - MeLaan . . . Spook . . .

Vasher - He is a worldhopper. I also read a WoB somewhere that Vasher saw shardblades and tried to create one with his knowledge of investiture and Nightblood was the result.

Taravangian - Marsh doesn't strike me as one who would do art. It seems a little more likely that Taravangian would have some artistic experience.

Marasi - Eshonai is a terrible artist. Nobody can even tell what her paintings are supposed to be. Sarene and Eshonai should have been matched up for artistry. Much harder to decide.

Kenton - Free vote. I like Kenton's style and dislike losers like Kabsal. Besides, sand mastery is way cool and Kabsal has no powers to compare.

Steris - Steris won't murder you.

Sazed - Hmmmm. A Shard or some Forger?

Vin - Once you get past her wall of mistrust, she is clearly a good friend. Silence - notably enough - doesn't really have any friends.

Edwarn Ladrian - He would be horrible as well, but he's not a sociopath like Tonk Fah.

The Lord Ruler - During his life span of a thousand years, he had some time to try everything and develop some skills. 

3 hours ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

Mr. T - Look, I so badly want to pick Ironeyes.  I'd pick him in literally any other scenario battle.  But artistry?  Talk about being screwed by the selection committee :P

Marsh owned a shop of some sort after he left the rebellion and before Kelsier came back, I was certain it involved some sort of creation, but now I cant find where I read it so it might be wrong:p

• Chaos locked this topic