March Madness

Kplynch21

In honor of March Madness, it is my idea that we should create a tournament of our favorite Cosmere characters and then put them to the test against each other. Right now, I need help with picking the 64 characters that would be put in the tournament, so far I have...

1. Kaladin
  2. Shallan
  3. Szeth 
  4. Dalinar
  5. Navani
  6. Adolin
  7. Jasnah
  8. Elhokar
  9. Sylphrena
  10. Taravangian
  11. Eshonai
  12. Kabsal
  13. Sadeas
  14. Talenel
  15. Lift
  16. Vin
  17. Kelsier
  18. Sazed
  19. Elend venture
  20. Marsh
  21. Spook
  22. Breeze
  23. Ham
  24. Clubs
  25. Dockson
  26. Straff Venture
  27. Zane
  28. Ashweather Cett
  29. Tindwyl
  30. Allrianne Cett
  31. TenSoon
  32. Yomen
  33. Quellion
  34. The Lord Ruler
  35. Alendi
  36. Kwaan
  37. Waxillium Ladrian
  38. Wayne
  39. Marasi Colms
  40. Miles Dagouter
  41. Steris Harms
  42. Ranette
  43. Edwarn Ladrian
  44. MeLaan
  45. Bleeder
  46. Claude Aradel
  47. Telsin Ladrian
  48. Raoden
  49. Sarene
  50. Hrathen
  51. Dilaf
  52. Kiin
  53. Galladon
  54. Siri
  55. Vivenna
  56. Lightsong
  57. Vasher
  58. Kenton
  59. Khrissalla
  60. Baon
  61. Ais
  62. Aarik
  63. Hoid
  64. And last, but definitely not least the stick.

That is just my idea, if anyone has a suggestion for a character, or potential seedings of the bracket, then your help will be welcomed. Thank you. Also we can do it based off of whoever would win in a battle or the characters that we like the most.

Edited by Kplynch21

Suggestion: Create a list of scenarios and randomly assign them to each pairing.

1. Arena combat

2. Writing a novel

3. Painting contest

4. Win the 100m without magical abilities

5. Be elected mayor

etc.

That way characters without high combat ratings will still have chances to win their particular encounter.

Pictures of the bracket coming soon, but I assigned the matchups randomly, and also assigned each face-off one of six challenges: combat, artistry/creativity, cosmere/realmatic awareness, better romantic partner, better platonic friend, and lastly no category-just general awesomeness.

4 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

This sounds almost large enough to need its own subforum. I like it. Cosmere Theories isn't really the best place for 64 poll threads about who would win in 'x' consest, though.

And thank you, I was filling out my bracket, and this just popped in my head.

1 minute ago, Kplynch21 said:

And thank you, I was filling out my bracket, and this just popped in my head.

No problem, though I will point out that you can edit your posts after submitting them, even years later, by clicking the edit button at the bottom left of posts, so there usually isn't a need to double post.

On topic though, I think this is a General Discussion topic for sure, so all the polls should go there. You can just keep track of where the bracket stands on your own and just put up the polls as needed, maybe a batch of them every so often, say 8. Then after a day or so, record the result and post the next 8. Then it can be completed in a timely manner.

A possibility for the tournament would be to have 2 or 3 people write how they feel a fight between the two (or more) characters would go, then post those and have people vote on them. (by upvotes?)

Also, I saw you have Sazed, but do you have Sazed(Post-HoA)? As separate from Sazed(Pre-HoA)?

They're two very different characters and I think it might be a good idea to split up some other characters like that. Quite a few characters go through some pretty distinct changes over the course of a book or series. For example, Kaladin(Pre-WoK) and Kaladin(Post-WoR).

But this does look like a great idea, and looks like it would awesome!

Edit: Also, what about Renarin? He's a character too, you know!

Edited by Bridge Boy

Yeah, just thinking that the distinction in time-frames could potentially give you more characters that people know. Not too sure about other people, but I've never heard of No. 60-62, so not entirely sure how well people would be able to vote or whatever on characters they don't know.

Note: I'm not saying that I'm the definitive on which characters are well known or not, just giving an example, and I've read the majority of the Cosmere books. (I'm working on Arcanum Unbounded, and still waiting on Bands of Mourning.)

I did notice though that you don't have characters from Shadows of Silence or Sixth of the Dusk, so I'm guessing that you are still accounting for less-known characters. I'm honestly just writing down my thoughts as I get them.

We actually already have something like this that takes place in September. It's called the Annual Sanderson Tournament. You could still make this, but you would probably want to make it different somehow to get more participation from the people who do it in September. Here's the most recent game. 

6 minutes ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

We actually already have something like this that takes place in September. It's called the Annual Sanderson Tournament. You could still make this, but you would probably want to make it different somehow to get more participation from the people who do it in September. Here's the most recent game. 

Thank you for letting me know; since that is the case, we could make this more of a popularity contest rather than a fight, I don't know if that contest is strictly about characters in the Cosmere or if it includes all Sanderson characters but we could do the opposite of whatever that tournament does, or we could simply have this be a Spring version of that tournament. I'm sorry I am new to this website so I was not aware that I may have been copying someone else's idea. Or we could create basketball teams with each of the characters and have a tournament with that.

Edited by Kplynch21
An idea popped in my head.

Here is the first round of match-ups!

@thegatorgirl00, this, instead of being just about who would win in a fight, also has matchup involving artistry, friendship, cosmere knowledge, and which character would make a better mate. One of the round one matchups: who would you rather marry: Clubs, or Elhokar?

14895431784401083399312.jpg

9 minutes ago, Kplynch21 said:

Thank you for letting me know; since that is the case, we could make this more of a popularity contest rather than a fight, I don't know if that contest is strictly about characters in the Cosmere or if it includes all Sanderson characters but we could do the opposite of whatever that tournament does, or we could simply have this be a Spring version of that tournament. I'm sorry I am new to this website so I was not aware that I may have been copying someone else's idea. Or we could create basketball teams with each of the characters and have a tournament with that.

Don't worry, we've all been That New Guy before, and I know how hard it can be to figure things out when you first join. My main concern was that you would have people interested in your game, since I know how disappointing it can be when a game you're playing dies due to lack of interest.