Endearing Brandon Quirks

Ward

As I obsessively read everything to leave Brandon's pen, the more I notice elements of his personality and writing habits peeking through consistently through all of his work. When I come across them, it momentarily breaks the fourth wall, but in an endearing way. I only notice these things because I'm familiar with his writing.

Examples:

• When Joel eats a really salty sandwich in The Rithmatist, that's a sandwich Brandon would love.
  • Frowning signifying contemplation. "Elend frowned" could be it's own sub-genre.
  • Interesting, that. Good points, those.
  • Pretty gowns and sharp, buttoned-up military uniforms
  • The 1920s. Oh goodness the 1920s.

And I am among the least of these, the Sharders. What are some other things others have noticed?

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Alfa said:

- Raising one eyebrow.
- Snorting.

Finally someone else mentions the raising of one eyebrow.  I've been saying this for years, but no one else seems to notice.  

I'm one of the few people I know in real life who can actually raise one eyebrow, yet all of Brandon's characters can do it.

2 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

Finally someone else mentions the raising of one eyebrow.  I've been saying this for years, but no one else seems to notice.  

I'm one of the few people I know in real life who can actually raise one eyebrow, yet all of Brandon's characters can do it.

I subtly refer to my thread regarding dramatis personae of the sanderverse not capable of raising a single eyebrow. Yes, there are a couple of those.

Edited by Alfa

Characters saying "Bah!" I've never heard anyone say "bah" in real life, but when a Sanderson character does it, it doesn't sound odd.

20 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

Same here. I learned how to raise one eyebrow after jokingly imitating my friend who did it constantly, but I didn't know I was doing it properly until someone said "Whoa, you can actually do that?" Now I do it unconsciously instead of raising both eyebrows, but only the right one.

Some people can't raise an eyebrow?....Half of my daily facial expressions involve me raising an eyebrow....I didn't know that the ability to raise just one wasn't universal. 

40 minutes ago, Koldun said:

There's always a romance. ALWAYS.

Nah, not always.  Many of the Novellas don't have time for Romance.  The Emperor's Soul in particular strikes me as a good example of no romance.

• Chaos locked this topic