Confused on Cosmere

Lwarch

I am relatively new to Sanderson, with the only Cosmere books I've read being SA, Elantris, and the first two Mistborn books. I've heard about who Adonalsium is and stuff but I am still really confused. Can someone try to explain the Shattering and the effects from it at an eighth grade level that I might understand.

Hey! Welcome to the forums! I'll give it my best shot.

In the beginning, there was a being known as Adonalsium. Adonalsium was essentially god. Just about all of his origin is unknown, but it's widely believed that he created the universe, or at least the Cosmere (a star cluster/dwarf galaxy within the Cosmere universe). What we 

do know is that a group of 16 people (not necessarily humans, but rather sapient creatures) worked together to shatter Adonalsium into 16 different pieces of roughly equal power. These pieces became known as Shards. We believe each member of this group took a shard of their own and spread out throughout the Cosmere. At their new locations, they mostly created or influenced local life. On Sel, Elantris' world, Devotion and Dominion settled. Eventually, Odium, the "big bad" of the Cosmere, attacked and destroyed each. This created the Dor, which is the unbridled power of both shards contained in a limited vessel, the cognitive realm. That'll make more sense as you read the rest of the books. On Roshar, the SA world, 2 Shards originally resided: Honor and Cultivation. At some point after Odium finished with Sel, he moved here and destroyed Honor, reducing the shard to smaller pieces like the Stormfather and other honor spren. Cultivation is believed to be still alive, due to comments by Wit/Hoid, who says only one woman on Roshar is his age and she's somewhat upset with him (Hoid knew the original 16 before the Shattering). 2 shards also reside on Scadrial, the Mistborn world, one of whom is the "thing" that was freed. I hesitate to say more for fear of spoilers.

If you need any more clarification, I'd be happy to provide it. I hope you enjoy your time here, and if you're offered cookies, I'd decline. They're a bit dangerous 

Edited by Bugsy6912

@Bugsy6912 I mentioned it on the other thread where you posted this but I think you need to put that summary in a spoiler box with heavy spoiler warnings, especially for Mistborn. It's a great summary but if a newbie reads it before having read all the Cosmere books they could have a very bad day. But otherwise nicely done.

And welcome @Lwarch! Deconstructing the overarching mythology of the Cosmere is one of the best things about this site, as you have to be very astute to pick up the references in the books.

12 minutes ago, Kplynch21 said:

Do we know if it is possible to unsplinter a shard that has been splintered? At least in reference to Devotion, Dominion, Honor. Thanks in advance.

I am pretty sure this is either impossible or very very difficult.