Spren Fabrials and plate

Murph

I've been wondering if fabrials for soul casting could be dead spren. We know that spren don't have to take the form of swords. We know that some spren have more of a presence in the physical realm and can't disappear completely, such as pattern. Fabrials don't disappear when not used so maybe this is because they are dead cryptics who have a permanent presence in the physical realm. These could be a focus for their power making it easier to soul cast and communicate with beads in shadesmare because as we know soulcasting could be dangerous. Putting gemstones on the Fabrials/spren would  attract the beads to their hands rather then have the beads attempt to drown them like they tried with shallan. I also was thinking that Fabrials and plate could be another  mechanic of the magic on roshar or possibly a next level mastery of storm light. Using storm light to forge items that are not spren but storm light forged into its physical form. Obviously not as potent as a lerasium is on Scadrial, but enough to be spiritual armor. The use of gems would  be because gems are better at holding light and also wouldnt draw from their internal store unless damaged 

On 25/02/2017 at 7:06 PM, Murph said:

I've been wondering if fabrials for soul casting could be dead spren. We know that spren don't have to take the form of swords. We know that some spren have more of a presence in the physical realm and can't disappear completely, such as pattern. Fabrials don't disappear when not used so maybe this is because they are dead cryptics who have a permanent presence in the physical realm. These could be a focus for their power making it easier to soul cast and communicate with beads in shadesmare because as we know soulcasting could be dangerous. Putting gemstones on the Fabrials/spren would  attract the beads to their hands rather then have the beads attempt to drown them like they tried with shallan. I also was thinking that Fabrials and plate could be another  mechanic of the magic on roshar or possibly a next level mastery of storm light. Using storm light to forge items that are not spren but storm light forged into its physical form. Obviously not as potent as a lerasium is on Scadrial, but enough to be spiritual armor. The use of gems would  be because gems are better at holding light and also wouldnt draw from their internal store unless damaged 

I like this thinking but there is something from the Oathbringer prologue (not completely finalized) that Brandon recently read. Spoiler...

Spoiler

- Do you know what it is? - he asked gently pushing (11:58) her. -

No your majesty -  - Its called fabrial, the device powered by stormlight, that does something handy. This one makes warmth. Just a snitch unfortunately, my wife is confident that scholars can create one which could heat entire room, wouldn't that be wonderful? No more fire and hearths. - It seems lifeless (12:20) Eshonai if can say so, she hummed appraise (12:22-12:24)  - Look closely - king Galivar said -  look deep into it, can you see whats moving inside, thats a spren, that is how the device works,  Captive like in a gemshell(?) 12:37 and gemhearts - she thought attuning awe - They build device that mimic how they apply their forms. 

Certainly sounds from that like fabrials use live spren. Though doesn't rule out soulcasters specifically using dead ones.

• Chaos locked this topic