Harmonium technology ideas

Oversleep

21 hours ago, Itchy Savant said:

I definitely think there is going to be more to allomantic computers than just copper minds though, I guess zinc is a possibility to act like a processor?

As a processor? I don't think so. But perhaps you could use zinc to speed up the actual processor. (Depends on what tapping zinc really is and how wouyld it work for non-organic entities)

Tapping zinc to speed up processor would be actually quite effective.

Also, storing brass would be magnificient. You could cool down all kinds of machines and end up with lots of heat for Southeners to use.

Hold on...

... well, since double Skimmer energy-Investiture perpetuum mobile works, I guess we don't have to worry about Maxwell's Demon?

Edited by Oversleep

15 hours ago, Itchy Savant said:

Can you simplify that for me please? :D

well, since double Skimmer energy-Investiture perpetuum mobile works, I guess we don't have to worry about Maxwell's Demon?

Double Skimmer = Two Iron Ferrings (messing with Weight/Mass like Wax does)
Perpetuum Mobile = technically a music term (but the Latin translates to perpetual motion)
Maxwell's Demon = thought experiment on a way to break the second law of thermodynamics.

I don't claim to fully understand what he is implying in his statement, so I will let you make your own assumptions.

Explanation incoming.

17 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Also, storing brass would be magnificient. You could cool down all kinds of machines and end up with lots of heat for Southeners to use.

Hold on...

... well, since double Skimmer energy-Investiture perpetuum mobile works, I guess we don't have to worry about Maxwell's Demon?

Double Skimmer energy-Investiture perpetuum mobile:

A way to create both Investiture and energy out of nothing. Have two Skimmers sit on two sides of lever. Normally they are on the same level. Then one of them dumps his weight into metalmind and the lever rises because he's lighter. Then he stops storing and the other Skimmer stores. The lever goes the other way.

With both of them storing alternately you can create energy; and since both of them end up with full metalminds Investiture is also created.

I used this as example of the fact that we can't always apply physics to cosmere. Why did I need that example?

Because storing heat which is a byproduct of all kinds of machines and then using it to heat something else throws Second Law of thermodynamics out of the window; for example, you could have a fridge which would work by storing heat and then you could use that heat somewhere else and that's basically how Maxwell's Demon thought experiment works.

Love this idea!  Great job!

I just want to point out that we already know that the ettmetal can indeed be used to replicate feruchemy.  This was on pages 401-402 of BoM:

"...a technician ran up to him [Suit], bearing the red uniform of the Set's Hidden Guard.

'My lord,' the man said, proffering one of the medallions.  'You'll need this.'

Suit took it and rolled up his sleeve to strap it to his upper arm.  'Is the ship operational?'

The man's eyes lit up.  'Yes sir!  The machinery is operational, sheltered as it was from the weather.  Sir... it's amazing.  You can feel the energy pulsing off that metal.  We did have to send men out to unclog the fans—a few of the Coinshots helped—and we have them moving now.  Fed is down below, priming the weight-changing machinery with her Feruchemy, to lighten the ship.  That should be the last step!'"

So we know ideas like this would work, though they would require they may be impractical because of the amount of energy needed to power them (ettmetal's power).

Also, it is interesting to think that a ship could store its weight... would the weight go into a metalmind, or would the ettmetal simply replicate the decrease in weight the Feruchemist uses to charge the device rather than actually using Feruchemy?

• Chaos locked this topic