Guesses for future prologue perspectives?

PatronOfRot

I'm more interested in a book with Szeth's flashbacks, but I can see why making it the 5th book would work well. It'll probably tie the first arc of the story together nicely as we get to see more about Shinovar and how exactly Szeth became to be the person he is. 

19 minutes ago, Andy92 said:

I'm more interested in a book with Szeth's flashbacks, but I can see why making it the 5th book would work well. It'll probably tie the first arc of the story together nicely as we get to see more about Shinovar and how exactly Szeth became to be the person he is. 

Actually, Brandon wants to alternate in between female and male focus characters because he feels it makes a nice symmetry. He might not do it though if he feels it stops making sense.

I hope we get Sadeas, Amaram or Elhokar for book 4. Sadeas because he was in the middle of all the action, and he probably wins the Hero of the Evening award for what he did. I would love to see how different he was back then compared to how he is in WoK and WoR.

Amaram is because I like the guy, and I also think that it would shed more light on the Sons of Honor, as well as on Amaram himself, and maybe make him more relateable.

Elhokar because we haven't had a POV from him. I would also love to hear his discussion with Nale and (maybe) Kalak. Plus, seeing his thoughts and feelings during this night, which is arguably the most impactful event in his life would help his character.

1 hour ago, maxal said:

Actually, Brandon wants to alternate in between female and male focus characters because he feels it makes a nice symmetry. He might not do it though if he feels it stops making sense.

Yeah but I've read some older comments from Brandon where book 3 was supposed to be Szeth's and it ended up being Dalinar's. So I think there's more to his decisions than just a male/female rotation. 

No one has said this as such I feel that this must be said Liss should have a prologue scene to herself. 

Spoiler

We meet her in WoR and then never again something tells me that she will have a part to play in the future otherwise why introduce her to begin with? 

I would be curious as to her backstory and where she has been while the war unfolds.

36 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

I would be curious as to her backstory and where she has been while the war unfolds

Backstory... No clue, but whereabouts? Probably still working as one of Aesudan's maids and keeping in touch with Jasnah. 

Perhaps. It would make for an interesting perspective to see what the assassin with the shardblade thought about her former help killing the king. Everything Brandon does is with purpose I'm sure that introducing her character at such an important juncture has purpose.  Besides with the everstorm hitting hard and Jasnah presumed dead things could get interesting fast.

On 05/02/2017 at 4:46 PM, Patrick Star said:

My guess is that book 4 will be Nalan (to see what he's doing there, plus book 4 is Szeth's, so that may give additional insight), and that book 5 will be Gavilar (to finally show exactly what happened).

I agree with this. There will definitely be a Gavilar one, it would be stupid not to. Nalan seems a good idea as well.

Edited by TheDoomsday
My bad spelling xD

5 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I´m iffy on Nalan. I would like a POV from him, but it might reveal too much. It is possible though. 

Aesudan is another interesting possibility. Not very likely, but worth mentioning. 

I agree with Aesudan. Depending on what happens with her within the following book, she may end up being a good choice.

3 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

Gavilar would indeed be interesting, but both Kalak and Nale for the reason stated by @Toaster Retribution.Perhaps Aesudan or Zahel/vasher?

I don't think we'll get Zahel. The slight hints we got in his one short PoV are one thing, but an extended PoV from him would cause a lot of questions about him and his knowledge for people who had only read SA. 

Brandon repeatedly states how he wants each story to be self contained. The more viewpoints we get from characters like this, the harder that goal becomes to maintain. 

7 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

Gavilar would indeed be interesting, but both Kalak and Nale for the reason stated by @Toaster Retribution.Perhaps Aesudan or Zahel/vasher?

In addition to what Calderis just stated, I also doubt that he was at the party, and if he was, he probably wasn´t very involved in the events that occurred there. 

10 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

In addition to what Calderis just stated, I also doubt that he was at the party, and if he was, he probably wasn´t very involved in the events that occurred there. 

I agree. Why is it relevant to see Zahel's viewpoint during the feast? It has to be someone present. Apart from Gavilar, the obvious one, we have Amaram, Elhokar, Aesudan or one of the Heralds as contenders.

Edited by maxal

8 minutes ago, maxal said:

I agree. Why is it relevant to see Zahel's viewpoint during the feast? It has to be someone present. Apart from Gavilar, the obvious one, we have Amaram, Elhokar, Aesudan or one of the Heralds as contenders.

We have Sadeas as well. He would be one of my top choices. It could be very interesting. 

33 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I don't think we'll get Zahel. The slight hints we got in his one short PoV are one thing, but an extended PoV from him would cause a lot of questions about him and his knowledge for people who had only read SA. 

Brandon repeatedly states how he wants each story to be self contained. The more viewpoints we get from characters like this, the harder that goal becomes to maintain. 

I'm not sure that I agree with that sentiment.While it is true that this is meant to be stand alone having Zahel as a extended P.O.V would not raise more questions than say a hoid. 

39 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I must disagree. He is arguably the greatest swordsmaster ardent that dalinar had having him there as an extra precaution would have made sense. This was a major moment for all those involved they would have taken every precaution. Having an expert swordmaster would have been a logical move.

33 minutes ago, maxal said:

As I stated above it would be a logical move to have an undercover agent/ ardent who could blend in and act as extra security if necessary.

@Nathrangking You raise valid points. Regarding Zahel and connections to other stories, I really don´t have much to say except that his internal monologues probably would contain a lot of references to Nalthis, which might be wierd for the readers who aren´t Cosmere-aware.

When it comes to his presence at the feast, there are some things to mention. First, we do not know wether he is the first-sword of the Kholin household. Personally, I doubt that he is. It feels like he would have a higher position in that case, unless he purposefully avoided promotion. However, it is not certain that he was at the party anyway. Zahel is no guard; he is an ardent, and a swordmaster, and his job is to train lighteyes with their weapons, not to guard the king. Furthermore, if Zahel had been at the party as some sort of guard, he should have rushed to save Gavilar, unless he purposefully avoided it because he wanted him to die. 

I also want to point out that Zahel doesn´t have any information about the party and what went down, as far as we know. Sadeas and Amaram both spent time with Gavilar during the evening. Sadeas would show the decoy-plan, his relationship with Gavilar, as well as what they spoke of, while an Amaram POV would give insights into the Sons of Honor, and Gavilars involvement with them, as well as showing something of the relationship between Amaram and Jasnah. Elhokar would give us a look at his feelings and thoughts when Gavilar died, something that is vital for his character. In addition, we would see Gavilar, Jasnah and Dalinar from a new perspective, see Elhokar with his wife, and, most importantly, hear his conversation with Nale and Kalak. Nale, in turn, would provide information about the Heralds, as well as another new and interesting POV perspective. Aesudan would offer another perspective, along with possible answers to a couple of reader questions. Why does Jasnah hire Liss in order to (maybe) assassinate her? Why is she completely bonkers in Kholinar right now? What is her feelings for Elhokar?

What we have to consider is what new a Zahel Prologue-POV would add? Why would it be important enough to take the one remaining POV-space (since Gavilar is pretty much guaranteed as the book 5 POV).

Also, I hope I don´t sound to harsh or anything. Apologizes, in that case.

@Toaster Retribution you do not sound harsh in fact you have made a most eloquent case. All that I can think to respond is a response to your question as to what his P.O.V would add. Thus far we have not seen what the reaction of the ordinary servant/ ardent... was to gavilar's death the fact that he is an "ardent" who can give the "religious" implications of the event and greater religious context.

4 minutes ago, Kplynch21 said:

Is it possible that Zahel's (potential) inaction with Gavilar's death lost him Nightblood?

I don't think so. I think it is more likely that Zahel became an Ardent after he lost Nightblood. Remember, becoming an Ardent means you have to give up all physical possessions. Even if he somehow got past that, too many people would be curious about his strange blade considering he is training people who are interested in warfare and combat and would have a keen eye for strange weapons. 

Agreed Nightblood would have been lost to him before he became an ardent. Nightblood is in no way subtle, waves would have been made if an ardent was walking around with it.

Edited by Nathrangking

They were separated after arriving in Roshar

Interview: Nov 22nd, 2016

BYU Bookstore (Paraphrased)

Question

Then finally I asked if Vasher and Nightblood were separated before or after coming to Roshar (I kind of felt like this had probably been asked before but I couldn't find any info on it so I went ahead),

Brandon Sanderson

and after hesitating for a minute, he said that they were separated after.

I agree with Gavilar with being the book 5 pov, but I am thinking the book 4 could be Renarin.

We currently know very little of his whereabouts that night, and could have played a more pivotal role than meets the eye from what we know of his abilities.  Also fits in with the theme with prologue pov characters being future flashback characters (with Gavilar being the book 5 exception).  

It could also potentially be from Shalash and keep to the "future flashback character" pattern as we know she was there at some point that day defacing a statue of herself.

Don't think it is Taravangian or Amaram as the most important actions/conversations by them likely included Gavilar and would be covered in the book 5 pov.