[Theory] Adonalsium is Responsible for Fain Life

Original Teemo

Imagine that a Shard has, essentially, a battery of "potential" investiture.  This is what we think of as the Shard's power.  The Shard or its delgates can use this battery to transform the "potential" investiture into "kinetic" investiture which effects a spiritual change, manifesting itself in the other realms.  This is "ends positive" investiture.

Now I realize it is commonly accepted that spent investiture eventually returns to the Shard, which I submit might happen if the spiritual change were to be reversed.  However WoB says that investiture obeys its own form of thermodynamics, and entropy always increases and no process is 100% efficient.  So at least some of that investiture is lost to the inexorable march of entropy and the battery must be recharged...

Now imagine that Adonalsium obeyed the same rules and did, in fact, require a continuous supply of investiture to recharge its spiritual battery.  That sounds like a pretty toothless "god."

Well, not to fear good Realmaticists, we can still have the power of creation at our fingertips, this is but a minor setback!

The planet of Yolen was filled with a *nearly* limitless supply of the spark of life, all the creators of Adonalsium had to do was take it.  And take it they did.  They took and took and took until the entire planet was covered in Fain Life, stripped of its very soul.

In desperation a small band of unlikely allies attempted to destroy Adonalsium to stop the destruction once and for all.  They failed.  Instead they were forced to use the shattered remnants of its power to take the survivors of Yolen and flee across the void of space, never to use their abilities again.

But the Shards grew intents that overpowered the wills of their creators, and the horror caused by Adonalsium's spawn continues across the spiritual realm where time and space know no bounds.  One day, sooner or later, it will come for us all.

Edited by Original Teemo
More Salient Title

Interesting thought, however I don't think investiture actually has entropy. I think Brandon's comment on investiture having its own laws of thermodynamics principally applied to the idea of investiture not being created or destroyed. Most other observations we've observed regarding systems of investiture observes this to be true, such as the Well of Ascension replenishing and Preservation's power returning to Preservation every time.

While the possible agent of entropy, Nightblood, could be an example of there be entropy, I just found a WoB that states that Nightblood is not actually removing investiture from the system, and is not gone forever. 

Just now, Spoolofwhool said:

Interesting thought, however I don't think investiture actually has entropy. I think Brandon's comment on investiture having its own laws of thermodynamics principally applied to the idea of investiture not being created or destroyed. Most other observations we've observed regarding systems of investiture observes this to be true, such as the Well of Ascension replenishing and Preservation's power returning to Preservation every time.

While the possible agent of entropy, Nightblood, could be an example of there be entropy, I just found a WoB that states that Nightblood is not actually removing investiture from the system, and is not gone forever. 

What does that WoB have to do with entropy. As long as Nightblood dilutes or spreads around investiture then entropy is happening. Entropy has nothing to do with investiture being 'gone forever'. Entropy just means that systems move from a state of order to a state of disorder.

Brandon has said that matter and energy are also, at their core, made of investiture, and they are entropic. It would make no sense for base investiture to not do so.

In thermodynamics, energy is never removed from the universe, but it is made not-useful.  Here, investiture is the realmatic analog to energy.  

This theory proposes that sharpools "replenishing," etc. is misdirection and that they are actually refilling by stealing the spark of life through conduits in the spiritual realm.

11 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

One thing I'm unsure of is the spark of life. What is it exactly? I guess investiture so that it can replenish systems of investiture?

I'm new to this subject but the spark of life is probably investiture as you said or it could be what created adalnadium or it could be the person or thing that held its power. I'm probably spewing chull ding with this post but at least I know I'm stupid

Yeah, the spark of life seems to be the investiture that inhabits the complex, distinct, system that is a person's soul. Presumably it takes investiture to maintain that complexity. My guess is that this is why younger Nalthians have stronger breaths than older ones.

Strictly speaking, entropy is not disorder. 

That is a common way to express and think of it, but it is wrong. Entropy is the number of possible states something can be in. 

For instance, there are a lot more ways you can arrange the pieces of a broken plate than an unbroken plate, so we say the entropy of a broken plate is higher, and unless we are very careful, broken plates are far more likely than unbroken. So, you can see how we get the idea of entropy = disorder. It is also the same reason it is hard to hit the bulleye when playing darts. There are just a lot of other places for the dart to go. 

The second law of Thermodynamics says that entropy will increase, or in other words, systems (closed systems technically) tend toward things that give them the maximum number of states. That means, if Adonalsium creates more worlds when shattered than when whole, then shattered is more likely. If there are more ways to shatter Adonalsium than there are ways for it to be whole, then shattered is more likely. 

In general entropy wants a universe with the maximum number of possibilities. If there were more good possibilities than bad, then good would be more likely. That could be trippy, but certainly possible. 

Alternate theory, the fainlife was created by demigods under Adonalsium, as an experiment in creation that went awry. It is now consuming planets, and even stars (the Red Rip). 

• Chaos locked this topic