Vo and Vorinism

Storyspren

Dumb newbie question here...

So the first returned in Warbreaker is named Vo.

What's supposed to be the relationship between Warbreaker's Vo and Stormlight's Vorin religion?

Does anybody know what the going theories are on this? For obvious reasons, this is difficult to search on. (Name of one thing contains the name of the other etc.)

I don't really see a connection. I believe I have read some theories that either the heralds or the first humans may have come from Nalthis but there are just as many theories that talk about Yolen or other planets in the same regard.

From what I recall. Vorin has really only been used to describe the group of kingdoms that practice Vorinism and the religion itself. We don't have any context to believe it refers to the name of someone important to the religion (where it would most likely be another name for the Almighty I guess). Vo also wasn't really around long enough to do much more than lay the seeds for his own religion on Nalthis in my opinion.

It would be interesting if Vo was of mixed heritage. If Vo was heavily invested, it may have made it easier for him to become the First Returned. Vo being a herald ( or something like that) could mean he had longer in the cognitive realm post-death. 

I have always wondered why Endownment would have changed her magic system so abruptly. If Vo returned because his Cognitive Soul was was expanded from other magics, that would explain this sudden appearance of the Returned. It would be interesting if the first Returned was an accident or mistake from Endownment's perspective. 

Edited by teknopathetic

I actually asked Brandon about this at a signing a ways back. He didn't give a direct answer, but replied essentially that (heavily paraphrasing here) 'there is a lot more crossover among the worlds than people realize.'

Hmmmmm. I wonder. We've seen many instances of linguistic similarities among the planets, most often with Aeons or religions, but most are confirmed to be simply similar linguistic heritages and not historical connections. This feels like one of those, but at the same time there's quite a few connections between nalthis and Roshar so who knows..

• Chaos locked this topic