Vin burning shardplate?

bdoble97

Question

What if Vin world hopped to Roshar and was able to get some shavings of some shardplate. I am not sure that shardplate is even probably some typ of dead spren. I also have thought that the Mist and stormlight or alot a like. So vice versa what if Kaladin ended up some how over on the Mistborn world (sorry dont remember the planet's name) and tryed to use the mist or consume some metals.

21 answers to this question

Vin could probably burn shavings of shardplate assuming it isn't so invested that it's allomantically inert. Kaladin wouldn't be able to do anything with mists or metal since that's completely unrelated to the magic system he is able to use.

Magic systems are defined by the world the shard is invested into, and remains constant in the Cosmere. It doesn't change on every world. 

Edited by Spoolofwhool

11 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Vin could probably burn shavings of shardplate assuming it isn't so invested that it's allomantically inert. Kaladin wouldn't be able to do anything with mists or metal since that's completely unrelated to the magic system he is able to use.

Magic systems are defined by the world the shard is invested into, and remains constant in the Cosmere. It doesn't change on every world. 

Ok thank you. Why can Zahel  use stormlight. 

22 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Ok thank you. Why can Zahel  use stormlight. 

Stormlight isn't a magic system. It's investiture. He might be able to use it because he's a Returned. We don't actually know. The theory I ascribe to is that he is bonded to his Divine Breath in some sense, which is a splinter. As such, according to the nature of Roshar, he is grant some sort of enhancement, which gives him the ability to hold stormlight.

1 minute ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Stormlight isn't a magic system. It's investiture. He might be able to use it because he's a Returned. We don't actually know. The theory I ascribe to is that he is bonded to his Divine Breath in some sense, which is a splinter. As such, according to the nature of Roshar, he is grant some sort of enhancement, which gives him the ability to hold stormlight.

to elaborate a bit: he seems to be able to use stormlight as fuel to keep himself alive, but he probably could not use it as fuel for awakening.

I seem to remember there being a WOB about burning Shardblade, which would probably apply to shardplate, but I was unable to find it.

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

to elaborate a bit: he seems to be able to use stormlight as fuel to keep himself alive, but he probably could not use it as fuel for awakening.

I seem to remember there being a WOB about burning Shardblade, which would probably apply to shardplate, but I was unable to find it.

Thank youbthat is interesting

1 hour ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Thank you. Didn't Sanderson say that he eventually wants to write a mistborn Trilogy as a Sci-Fi Space Opera in the burning the metals will be the way they do space travel. How will they be able to do that if they are away from thier world/shard

19 hours ago, bdoble97 said:

Thank you. Didn't Sanderson say that he eventually wants to write a mistborn Trilogy as a Sci-Fi Space Opera in the burning the metals will be the way they do space travel. How will they be able to do that if they are away from thier world/shard

The Metallic Arts can be used outside of Scadrial. This is because they only require certain metals and (in the case of Feruchemy and Allomancy) the necessary Investiture in one's "spiritual DNA". In the case of Hemalurgy, Brandon has implied that the right Investiture isn't even necessary. Anyway, physical distance does not apply in the Spiritual Realm, so the spiritual aspects of Scadrians aren't affected by going to other planets.

(Note that if a power resides in the Cognitive Realm instead of the Spiritual Realm, it can be bound to a certain region. This is the case with Sel, where the Dor is trapped in the Cognitive Realm, limiting the use of Selish magics outside of Sel. Also, the spren in Shadesmar find it difficult but possible to worldhop.)

As for whether Vin could burn Shardplate, I would only say that we don't know what Allomantic property Shardplate has, if it even has any. If it has an Allomantic property (and I bet it does), then Vin should be able to use it in Allomancy.

Edited by skaa

11 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I thought a WOB confirmed that the reason Vasher was on Roshar was because it had an easily obtained source of investiture for him to use to stay alive. (only Talidin is better). We do have a WOB that Nightblood can feed off of stormlight, and the mists for that matter.

8 hours ago, Tsidqiyah said:

I thought a WOB confirmed that the reason Vasher was on Roshar was because it had an easily obtained source of investiture for him to use to stay alive. (only Talidin is better). We do have a WOB that Nightblood can feed off of stormlight, and the mists for that matter.

Yes, this is correct. Are you confirming what I'm saying or contesting it? Nothing in my topic was regarding Vasher's reason for being on Roshar.

In last week's (or maybe the previous month's) Shardkeepers podcast there was a really cool theory that shardblades would be made of Tanavastium (i.e. the metal counterpart for Honor like Atium was the metal counterpart for Ruin) which is wicked cool to think of. Who knows if that's the case, but what would it do to Vin to burn Tanavastium? Would it give her surgebinding without a spren a la the honorblades?

Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, BennParr said:

In last week's (or maybe the previous month's) Shardkeepers podcast there was a really cool theory that shardblades would be made of Tanavastium (i.e. the metal counterpart for Honor like Atium was the metal counterpart for Ruin) which is wicked cool to think of. Who knows if that's the case, but what would it do to Vin to burn Tanavastium? Would it give her surgebinding without a spren a la the honorblades?

It's not exactly a new theory. (I stand by "sprenium" BTW)

But no, it would not be Tanavastium. Nahelspren are a mixture of Honor & Cultivation Investiture in different proportions.
It'd be easier to theorize what these ten different godmetals would do if we knew what harmonium does...

Well, either shardplate doesn't count as a metal allomantically (in which case Vin couldn't burn it) or it counts as a non-allomantic metal (and probably kills her) or it counts as a god metal (and does something unpredictable to us).

On 1/10/2017 at 9:23 PM, Spoolofwhool said:

Kaladin wouldn't be able to do anything with mists or metal since that's completely unrelated to the magic system he is able to use.

Metal, sure. Mists are raw Investiture like Stormlight, though. He probably couldn't use mists without more Connection to Preservation, but I don't think the different magic systems is the issue. Breath, Stormlight, and Mist are as far as I know all "pure Investiture".

On 1/10/2017 at 10:08 PM, Dunkum said:

It might exist, but I've never seen it. There are WOBs about them being hard to Push and Pull, as well as this:

Reddit AMA 2013

[...]

Herowannabe

My friend and I asked him something like this at a book signing, but for some reason it never seemed to make it onto 17th Shard. We asked if a shardblade or Nightblood could be used as a hemalurgic spike (i.e.: two different investitures of magic). Brandon said that yes, in theory you could do that, but objects have a limit to how much investiture they can hold, and that it could be argued that things like Nightblood and Shardblades are already "full."

That implies that they are of a Hemalurgically viable metal, and the same metals work for all the Metallic Arts...

On 1/12/2017 at 8:23 PM, BennParr said:

Well, (Edgedancer spoilers)

Spoiler

we now know that Shard-items (Shardblade, Shardspear, Shardfork...) have to be metal. So the metal is definitely significant... IMO that pretty nearly confirms that Shardblades, at least the "manifested spren" kind are made of godmetal.

On 1/12/2017 at 10:07 PM, Oversleep said:

It's not exactly a new theory. (I stand by "sprenium" BTW)

But no, it would not be Tanavastium.

Well, I think a honorspren shardblade would be Tanavastium. A cultivationspren shardblade would be Cultivation's god metal. The other 8 would presumably be different alloys of the two?

4 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

Well, I think a honorspren shardblade would be Tanavastium. A cultivationspren shardblade would be Cultivation's god metal. The other 8 would presumably be different alloys of the two?

Even honorspren are not pure Honor and cultivationspren are not pure Cultivation. IIRC it was stated it'd be like 90% and that while Syl has an argument why she and her kind are the most pure Honor it's not as clear cut.

1 hour ago, CosmereAvair said:

Wasn't the metals on scandrials a part of preservation, and burning those metals allowed access to the shards power?

Nope. They're only a pathway to power. You could Soulcast a metal and it would work just fine.

6 hours ago, CosmereAvair said:

Wasn't the metals on scandrials a part of preservation, and burning those metals allowed access to the shards power?

It's the molecular structure of the metals which create the pathway, not the constituents. 

Hmm. I wonder if an advance enough society could create a material which essentially mimics the atomic and molecular structures close enough such that they could be used in place of metals for allomancy.

Edited by Spoolofwhool