Aimians

"Kale"adin

74518454.jpg

I haven't read Edgedancer, but at a stretch I would assume they are about as rare as Kandra?

Can we talk about the fact that Amians share similar shapeshifting and immortality traits similar to Kandra? What a coincidence :ph34r:

In terms of the size of the continent, I think it's fair to say that Aimians are probably practically unseen in the east. (given how even Shinovan chickens are a rare spectacle)

I think this topic should be in Edgedancer spoiler board...

9 hours ago, Unodus said:

Can we talk about the fact that Amians share similar shapeshifting and immortality traits similar to Kandra? What a coincidence :ph34r:

On our planet alone, eye has been evolved several times; it's not too far-fetched that similar shapeshifting mechanisms would be discovered separately on various worlds. Everyone's working with the same rules, after all. And there's also the fact that the Dysian Aimian and kandra shapeshifting are not as similar as they look at a first sight once you get into the nitty-gritty of it.

A kandra is a single body that can take various shapes depending on the "framework" it's eaten; a Sleepless is a hive mind of insects bred for various purposes, letting the entire structure of hundreds of cremlings imitate various beings. A Sleepless doesn't need hemalurgic spikes, or the framework, to take on a stable shape, while a kandra requires both. Also, kandra immortality is "biological", so to put it; a Sleepless would presumably breed a generation after a generation of cremlings, keeping the mind alive even though the body is completely exchanged every few (few dozen?) years or so; a Theseus' ship of sorts. To add Siah Aimians to the mix, they seem to share the "biological" immortality of kandra, but they apparently can't alter their body shape, assume a new "framework", or really extend their shapeshifting to anything beyond their skin colouration.

As for the number of Aimians, it's a tough question. Considering the nature of the Sleepless, there could very well be less than ten of them, but "massive" enough that they'd be spread out all over the continent. As for Siah Aimians - Axies' kinsmen - if they weren't immortal, I'd guess few hundred, but as they are, they could very well number in dozens. I'd be leaning towards a hundred or so; if they were really rare, Rysn would probably have more of a reaction to seeing Axies.

10 hours ago, Unodus said:

74518454.jpg

I haven't read Edgedancer, but at a stretch I would assume they are about as rare as Kandra?

In terms of the size of the continent, I think it's fair to say that Aimians are probably practically unseen in the east. (given how even Shinovan chickens are a rare spectacle)

Awwww you beat me to the meme lol.

I always thought that Amians were immortal, since they could change their bodies and therefore not age. So, they can be killed but are functionally immortal like Frost. Usually, when a fantasy creature is functionally immortal they have few kids. Kinds of like Lord of the Rings elves, or Song of Ice and Fire children of the forest. I would guess that there are very few, since they have gone through a genocide and many were killed. I would guess there are nine or ten.

• Chaos locked this topic