Stump Question

youperguy2

22 minutes ago, youperguy2 said:

What type of Radiant is Stump? Lightbringer? Sorry if this is know, but I was not sure.

I was excited to see an old lady Radiant. Very cool, that not all Raidants will be young and "awesome".

I am interested in her role going forward.  

What's a 'Lightbringer?' Did you mean Lightweaver, like Shallan?

We learned during the Arcanum Unbounded tour that Ym, from a WoR interlude, was a Truthwatcher. Since Stump's spren matches the description of Ym's spren, she must also be a Truthwatcher.

At this point, we really can't be sure.  She is either Truthwatcher or Edgedancer.  It's difficult to know, because we don't know a lot about either spren.  We know that Cultivationspren is the spren of the Edgedancer, but we also know that Lift is partially within the Cognitive realm, meaning it's likely that she sees her spren differently than other Edgedancers.  We also have never seen Renarin's spren, the other Truthwatcher we have seen.

I would venture to guess Edgedancer, as, even though Stump was crotchety and seemed like a bit of a hag, she clearly cared for the children she took care of, which would be fitting for the Edgedancer's oath "I will remember those who have been forgotten."

Edited by Mirdrim
Response to previous post

6 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

What's a 'Lightbringer?' Did you mean Lightweaver, like Shallan?

We learned during the Arcanum Unbounded tour that Ym, from a WoR interlude, was a Truthwatcher. Since Stump's spren matches the description of Ym's spren, she must also be a Truthwatcher.

Do we know that Ym was a Truthwatcher? We know he had Progression, which means he's either Truthwatcher or Edgedancer, and Wyndle has said that he planned to bond with Ym.  If you're basing this off of the differences between his spren and Lift's, keep in mind that Lift has her cognitive weirdness, which makes her perception of spren probably different.

Edit: Sorry for double post, tried to edit the previous and it saved a new post..not sure what happened here.

Edited by Mirdrim
apology for double post

3 minutes ago, Mirdrim said:

Do we know that Ym was a Truthwatcher? We know he had Progression, which means he's either Truthwatcher or Edgedancer, and Wyndle has said that he planned to bond with Ym.  If you're basing this off of the differences between his spren and Lift's, keep in mind that Lift has her cognitive weirdness, which makes her perception of spren probably different.

Yeah, I'd been saying all those points as well, since WoR was released. But Brandon has recently confirmed that Ym was a Truthwatcher.

6 hours ago, youperguy2 said:

Oops. I meant  Truthwatcher. Sorry my mind slipped. Thanks for all of the responses. Do you all think we will see more of Stump?

I think so. I'm not sure if she wants to go join the Radiants at Urithiru, but her spren might convince her once she realizes a Desolation is coming. Even more likely to happen now that Nale won't hunt Surgebinders anymore.

12 hours ago, youperguy2 said:

Oops. I meant  Truthwatcher. Sorry my mind slipped. Thanks for all of the responses. Do you all think we will see more of Stump?

I don't know how I feel about Stump. Her character kinda makes me uncomfortable, idk. But I think we'll see more of her. If not fighting in this desolation, maybe rebuilding in the second arc. Ym was killed so early, and Renarin and Glys are... "special"... so maybe Stump'll be the only Truthwatcher we'll meet. Btw I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but what's the general consensus on Glys? Good? Evil? Something in between?

On 1/4/2017 at 0:58 PM, Pagerunner said:

Yeah, I'd been saying all those points as well, since WoR was released. But Brandon has recently confirmed that Ym was a Truthwatcher.

Huh... I guess that since Brandon has confirmed it, it must be true, but the way I understood Edgedancer, Wyndle was the Spren that had started bonding Ym... I always liked Ym and had hoped deep down that he had somehow managed to escape death like another character had... But based on on the way Wyndle spoke, it sounded like he had been that Spren and since he died, he was forced to bond Lift instead...

24 minutes ago, DarkJester said:

Huh... I guess that since Brandon has confirmed it, it must be true, but the way I understood Edgedancer, Wyndle was the Spren that had started bonding Ym... I always liked Ym and had hoped deep down that he had somehow managed to escape death like another character had... But based on on the way Wyndle spoke, it sounded like he had been that Spren and since he died, he was forced to bond Lift instead...

No, Wyndle said that they were considering bonding him, not that they had already started the process. Also, a person can be bonded to two people at once, so maybe he was bonded to Wyndle and the Truthwatcher spren but then accepted the Truthwatcher path over the Edgedancer one.

From what I remember of that conversation, it seemed like Wyndle had no idea Ym had died. Also, I think Ym died well after Wyndle started bonding to Lift. Not sure about that, but WoK and WoR take place over a fairly short time span.

Atthe recent November 30 signingBrandon confirmed we will see Stump again.

QUESTION

Do Ym, Stump belong to Edgedancer? Will we see Stump again in the future?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Ym is not an Edgedancer. You will see Stump in the future novels though you may not see Tashikki much again.

• 9 months later...

I just finished a re-read of Edgedancer last night. I assumed Stump was a Truthwatcher because Nale's Skybreakers targeted her after a report that someone was using illusions (they assumed she was a Lightweaver). But if Stump was healing the orphans in her orphanage, then she must have had the Surge of Progression as well. Illumination + Progression = Truthwatcher.

• Chaos locked this topic