Man-eating Rabbits vs Zombie Cows

Man-eating Rabbits vs Zombie Cows  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• Man-eating Rabbits
    • Zombie Cows

It’s a fairly simple question. If the world was to end because of carnivorous herbivores, which would you choose?

Man-eating Rabbits are genetically engineered creatures that crave human flesh, though they can eat other animals. They hunt in packs, have incredible hearing, and breed quickly.

Zombie Cows are the result of an offshoot of mad cow disease. Humans can be infected by a cow’s bite, but the resulting zombie will decompose fairly quickly. Zombie cows move at a trot unless they see food. They tend to travel in herds, and with zombie cows come zombie bulls, which move faster.

So which would you choose: The Hare-bringers of Doom or The Undead Herd?

Just now, Kobold King said:

Zombie cows ought to be easier to see coming and escape from than the billions of man-eating rabbits that will soon be in existence, but I am surrounded by cattle ranches on all sides.

Sorry world. I'm selling you out for my own safety.

A wild kobold king has appeared!

kobold king uses sell-out. 

Its super effective! 

24 minutes ago, Kobold King said:

Zombie cows ought to be easier to see coming and escape from than the billions of man-eating rabbits that will soon be in existence, but I am surrounded by cattle ranches on all sides.

Sorry world. I'm selling you out for my own safety.

When you consider the fact that infected beef would likely end up in grocery stores and fast-food chains, resulting in a huge zombie epidemic, it doesn't seem like that bad of a trade-off. At least you'll probably be able to see the rabbit herd coming. Whether you'll be able to outrun it is another matter.

Rabbits. Man-eating or not, they can be taken down with a much smaller caliber of bullet (or a rock from the slingshot of a practiced sportsperson) than a zombie cow. Not BB gun-small or airsoft gun-small (unless you're talking the really powerful ones). They could perhaps even be baited with poisoned meat (non-human meat, I'm not a sicko) because, man-eating or not, rabbits usually aren't that bright. Point is, there are more things capable of killing a man-eating rabbit, and those things are more widely available. As has been pointed out before, zombie cows would make for bigger and slower targets, but who knows how much of their meat would wind up in stores before world governments realized that—hey, wait a second, these cows are storming zombies

27 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

A hyper-controlling weather Epic will save us, so long as we swear fealty beforehand. :ph34r: 

Let's just hope they aren't scared of rabbits*. That would be terribly inconvenient.

*Leporiphobia for anyone that's interested.

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Rabbits. Man-eating or not, they can be taken down with a much smaller caliber of bullet (or a rock from the slingshot of a practiced sportsperson) than a zombie cow. Not BB gun-small or airsoft gun-small (unless you're talking the really powerful ones). They could perhaps even be baited with poisoned meat (non-human meat, I'm not a sicko) because, man-eating or not, rabbits usually aren't that bright.

I've always thought about this when people say they would rather have zombie cows because of their lack of speed. I don't know much about a cow's durability, (or a caribou's for that matter) but I can't imagine that a herd undead bovines would be easy to stop.

However, because I feel compelled to play both sides, if man-eating rabbits were unable to reach their primary prey, they would likely adapt by eating local wildlife. Since they would multiply at an incredible rate, they would be the ultimate invasive species, potentially wreaking havoc with the world's ecosystem. Plus, odds are some eccentric person would try to keep a few as pets, enabling them to spread to different continents. 

24 minutes ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

Let's just hope they aren't scared of rabbits*. That would be terribly inconvenient.

*Leporiphobia for anyone that's interested.

I've always thought about this when people say they would rather have zombie cows because of their lack of speed. I don't know much about a cow's durability, (or a caribou's for that matter) but I can't imagine that a herd undead bovines would be easy to stop.

However, because I feel compelled to play both sides, if man-eating rabbits were unable to reach their primary prey, they would likely adapt by eating local wildlife. Since they would multiply at an incredible rate, they would be the ultimate invasive species, potentially wreaking havoc with the world's ecosystem. Plus, odds are some eccentric person would try to keep a few as pets, enabling them to spread to different continents. 

She isn't. Not by far. :ph34r: 

That's a good point. However, I'd add that they have the following disadvantages: 

1) Their horrific appetites and taste for human flesh would make them a highly visible threat from the beginning. If a handful of cute little rabbits stripped a farmer to the bone in seconds flat, that crem would be on the news instantly. It would go viral. Everyone would know about the fluffy little piranha making their way across America's breadbasket (or wherever they happened to start out) by the end of their first day out, and they would prepare quickly. Knowledge of these fearsome critters would spread rapidly, and their rapid multiplication rates would give local and national governments a sense of urgency in stopping this invasive species. 

2) As rabbits, they are highly vulnerable to lots of things. I've already covered their weaknesses to bullets, poison, and rocks thrown at high speeds; but they can also be trapped. Their appetites could prove to be their undoing, as, deprived of their choice prey, they resorted to chowing down on some lovely little meat cubes left out and—whoops. There they go. Trapped, dead, or dead and trapped. 

3) With their high visibility and behavior being common knowledge, if an eccentric who kept a few man-eating rabbits as pets tried to take them overseas, it's likely they would be stopped and perhaps arrested at customs. Say what you will about the TSA, but if they won't let you keep your 4.5 ounce bottle of hand sanitizer, there is no way you're getting on that plane with a man-eating rabbit. And, if by some miracle you do get those hares on a plane, Samuel L. Jackson will be nearby and ready to film an unexpected sequel to one of his films. 

None of this is to say that these rabbits could be kept from causing damage, because they would definitely cause damage. Potentially a lot of it. Some of that damage might be beyond immediate repair. However, these critters would be enough of a visible threat that governments and citizens would mobilize quickly and decisively, keeping them from doing their absolute worst. 

14 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

3) With their high visibility and behavior being common knowledge, if an eccentric who kept a few man-eating rabbits as pets tried to take them overseas, it's likely they would be stopped and perhaps arrested at customs. Say what you will about the TSA, but if they won't let you keep your 4.5 ounce bottle of hand sanitizer, there is no way you're getting on that plane with a man-eating rabbit

That is very likely. The governments around the world would also likely implement measures to ensure no-one snuck one onto a plane. I was making the assumption that the kind of people who are eccentric enough to own man-eating pets would either use private planes or some kind of blackmarket. It seems like something someone would be foolish enough to do. Though it does start to reach horror-movie level of intelligence when you think about it.

17 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

And, if by some miracle you do get those hares on a plane, Samuel L. Jackson will be nearby and ready to film an unexpected sequel to one of his films. 

Thank you for that mental image. Here's an upvote and an accompanying image.

Spoiler

1h1qbi.jpg

"And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy."
And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu--"

"Skip a bit, brother."

2 minutes ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

"And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy."
And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu--"

"Skip a bit, brother."

Unfortunately, as far as I know there's only one holy hand grenade, so we'd somehow have to gather all the rabbits in one spot before setting it off. (And make sure that King Arthur's not the one pulling the pin, but that's kind of a given.)

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny, because the reference wasn't intentional. I just randomly came up with the question. The current results are pretty interesting, because in almost every other group zombie cows have always been the majority. Must be the abundance of Monty Python references.

*At the time of this post:

• Man-eating Rabbits-11
  • Zombie Cows-2

• 9 months later...