Feruchemical Lerasium?

Vissy

Question

12 answers to this question

Part of the problem is, we don't even know the full extent of atium's Allomantic powers. It seems to allow someone to peer into the Spiritual Realm, and this manifests most simply as seeing a little bit into the future, but it's possible to get other effects out of atium. (I suspect that atium can replicate any of the atium alloy's powers, but it's hard to specify the exact power you want without an alloy.) Sort of the same thing for lerasium; it can overwrite your sDNA, but the 'default' is to rewrite it to Mistborn. Alloys specify which Misting you want it to be.

So, atium stores age. Is that a Spiritual Realm property, like the other Feruchemical Spiritual powers? Is it possible that Lerasium lets you store your own sDNA? But, no, that's what Nicrosil does... unless Nicrosil stores the piece of Investiture that fits into your soul when you snap, and lerasium gives you a way to temporarily change your sDNA by storing and tapping. But, then again, aren't Identity and Investiture part of your sDNA? 

There's some really deep Realmatics behind the god metals. And, since we only have one instance of a god metal being used in Feruchemy, it makes it really hard to extrapolate when we can't develop either a pattern or a mechanism. That's probably why we don't have too many theories, the door is just too wide open.

I don't think it will let you store anything, though; each god metal has a universal effect in its god's magic system. Lerasium can let anyone become an Allomancer, atium can be used for any kind of Hemalurgy. I think Harmonium can be used to store any attribute, so that's why I don't think lerasium is behind universal metalminds, since Feruchemy is of both Shards (like Harmonium is).

But, hey, let's throw out a crazy thought. What if you can just store your whole self in there, like a genie? Pop in there, set a timer, pop out without aging. It could be one of the ways Hoid has been alive since the Shattering, but not necessarily 'awake' that whole time.

Edited by Pagerunner

There is a theory that lerasium would work as a metalmind for any attribute, just like atium can be used to steal anything in Hemalurgy.

The main argument against this is of course that lerasium is Preservation's metal, and not both shards'.

1 hour ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

My personal theory is that it stores Foresight. It seemed like something that would go well with Atium's Age. Storing keeps a person from thinking about the future, while tapping would allow a person to make accurate guesses about when and where they should be. It would not be perfect though, since it is not true future vision. 

I imagine you talk about Hoid's method, in the end it's not far for the "destiny" I wrote in the previous post....but recently a WoB seems to indicate that Hoid uses Fortune to arrive when/where it's needed

4 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

I think Harmonium can be used to store any attribute, so that's why I don't think lerasium is behind universal metalminds, since Feruchemy is of both Shards (like Harmonium is).

Possibly, but unfortunately Harmonium is extremely volitile, so you probably don't want a Harmoniummind touching your skin...

4 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

It could be one of the ways Hoid has been alive since the Shattering, but not necessarily 'awake' that whole time.

I doubt it. If that was the case, Hoid has had access to lerasium for a very long time, and probably wouldn't have any big reason to take an additional bead.

Hoid is Wit from Stormlight Archive

The beggar in The Final Empire 

The King's Fool in Emperor's Soul

The Storyteller in Warbreaker

Topaz

The second oldest sapient being in the cosmere.

Hoid is a worldhopper that's in every story but the short story on Therondy and I believe the short story on First of the Sun. He was at the shattering, but turned down the shard, and was friends with both Rayse and Tanavast.

Edited by MountainKing
More Hoid reference, Fixed name

On 7/31/2018 at 11:23 PM, MountainKing said:

Hoid is Wit from Stormlight Archive

The beggar in The Final Empire 

The King's Fool in Emperor's Soul

The Storyteller in Warbreaker

Topaz

The second oldest sapient being in the cosmere.

Hoid is a worldhopper that's in every story but the short story on Therondy and I believe the short story on First of the Sun. He was at the shattering, but turned down the shard, and was friends with both Rayse and Tanavast.

In short, Hoid is the character that is currently most central to the connective tissue of the wider Cosmere

Hoid is basically the Where's Wally (or Waldo, if that's how it is where you come from) of the Cosmere. Or you could compare him to Doctor Who, in that he sort of jumps around the cosmere. Big on motivation plot driving and random appearances while dressed as a hobo.

Golden rule for Hoid Hunting is;

If someone is dressed like a beggar, appears mad or tells stories, then they could be Hoid.

If someone is two or more of these options, then they are definitely Hoid.

On 7/31/2018 at 10:32 PM, ElendIncarnate said:

i'm sorry, but who is hoid? i've yet to read shadows of self and bands of mourning but what your saying points insistantly toward rashek, the lord ruler. am i right, or is it from one of the other books? please tell me (without spoiling anything) if so.

Have you checked out the Coppermind yet?  It's basically the Cosmere Wikipedia.  There's a rather extensive article on Hoid.  

My personal theory is that it stores Foresight. It seemed like something that would go well with Atium's Age. Storing keeps a person from thinking about the future, while tapping would allow a person to make accurate guesses about when and where they should be. It would not be perfect though, since it is not true future vision.