Which unpublished works has Brandon asked that we not discuss publicly?

Jofwu

Question

16 answers to this question

46 minutes ago, Mesa the Ookla said:

Yeah, can anyone tell me how I can read those? I REALLY WANT TO LOL

I used the email submission form on the website. Getting a response may take a while but you'll get one eventually. Also, many of those are only available in the form of limited samples but you can find many of them right now without having to ask. I think the following should be a complete list of unpublished works available to us in some way.

- Mistborn Prime and Final Empire Prime: Samples can be found on Brandon's website, we're unlikely to ever get more than those.

- Mythwalker (Warbreaker Prime): The entirety of this unfinished work along with comments by Peter can be found on the website.

- White Sand Prime and Lord Mastrell: Both were heavily reworked and combined into the prose version the graphic novel is based on and aren't available to us but it's highly unlikely we're missing anything there.

- White Sand (Prose): Available by asking nicely.

- Aether of Night: Available by asking nicely.

- Liar of Partinel: Sample chapters are up on the website, we're unlikely to ever see more of the draft as it exists as Brandon wasn't satisfied with it, saying that every chapter was a chore to write and nothing ever came together properly. Basically, he wants the story to be awesome and as it exists, it isn't so we'll have to wait on the eventual complete rewrite to see anything more.

- Lightweaver of Rens: I don't think it actually exists as a finished draft, given what Brandon has said about Liar. More likely it exists only as a concept and one we'll only see once Liar is rewritten.

- The Silence Divine: I believe it's only 'available' in the sense that he's done readings from it at signings that may have been recorded. Dunno, I've never sought that one out so someone else more knowledgable can fill that gap in.

- Way of Kings Prime: Only available to us in the form of some sample chapters focusing on Kaladin (or the character who became Kaladin) which were published as part of the anthology Altered Perceptions, which is well worth supporting in its own right.

- Dragonsteel Prime: Available on loan from BYU's library, with a long waiting list.

Long answer: For a lot of them, it's a moot point, since they've been rendered non-canon and thus not useful for discussion- White Sand PrimeWay Of Kings Prime, Mythwalker, things like that.  For others, such as the Aethers from Aether of Night, they're almost canon but their source books are being reworked into something of quality - The Silence Divine and the aforementioned Aether of Night fall into this category.  (You can tell they're almost canon because they've had references in canon books - Khriss mentions Ashyn and a major opening setpiece of the unpublished manuscript in Arcanum Unbounded, for example) A third category exists of things that are not canon yet but things within them have been excised and used in other books - The Shattered Plains from Stormlight Archive used to be in an early draft of Dragonsteel, for instance, as did the swapped sisters subplot from Mythwalker (which later evolved into the main plot of Warbreaker).  

Short answer: All of them?  :huh:I admit to a bit of confusion regarding the question.  Known unpublished works available to us the fanbase include:

• Liar of Partinel
  • White Sand Prime
  • Mythwalker
  • Way of Kings Prime
  • The Silence Divine
  • Aether of Night
Edited by Landis963

4 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

Long answer: For a lot of them, it's a moot point, since they've been rendered non-canon and thus not useful for discussion- White Sand PrimeWay Of Kings Prime, Mythwalker, things like that.  For others, such as the Aethers from Aether of Night, they're almost canon but their source books are being reworked into something of quality - The Silence Divine and the aforementioned Aether of Night fall into this category.  (You can tell they're almost canon because they've had references in canon books - Khriss mentions Ashyn and a major opening setpiece of the unpublished manuscript in Arcanum Unbounded, for example) A third category exists of things that are not canon yet but things within them have been excised and used in other books - The Shattered Plains from Stormlight Archive used to be in an early draft of Dragonsteel, for instance, as did the swapped sisters subplot from Mythwalker (which later evolved into the main plot of Warbreaker).  

Short answer: All of them?  :huh:I admit to a bit of confusion regarding the question.  Known unpublished works available to us the fanbase include:

• Liar of Partinel
  • White Sand Prime
  • Mythwalker
  • Way of Kings Prime
  • The Silence Divine
  • Aether of Night

@Landis963 You missed Lightweaver of Rens (Liar of Partinel #2), and Lord Mastrell (White Sand #2)

2 minutes ago, Mesa the Ookla said:

Yeah, can anyone tell me how I can read those? I REALLY WANT TO LOL

Email someone on Team Branderson with a polite request for one of them and they'll get to you eventually.  Peter Ahlstrom, I think, is the best option.  

Edited by Landis963

*crosses fingers*

Dear, @PeterAhlstrom

I know u never responded to any of your birthday well wishers, which included me btw. But can I pretty please have a copy of each of the books. I'll make horneater stew just for you. If I ever meet you I promise!

• Liar of Partinel
  • White Sand Prime
  • Mythwalker
  • Way of Kings Prime
  • The Silence Divine
  • Aether of Night
  • lightweaver of tens
  • Lord Mastrell

I might even throw in some cookies!

Wasing the needing of above mentioning books- Darkness Ascendant

P.S don't respond here, respond in private PM if you ever do 

:)

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:38 PM, Weltall said:

I used the email submission form on the website. Getting a response may take a while but you'll get one eventually. Also, many of those are only available in the form of limited samples but you can find many of them right now without having to ask. I think the following should be a complete list of unpublished works available to us in some way.

- Mistborn Prime and Final Empire Prime: Samples can be found on Brandon's website, we're unlikely to ever get more than those.

- The Silence Divine: I believe it's only 'available' in the sense that he's done readings from it at signings that may have been recorded. Dunno, I've never sought that one out so someone else more knowledgable can fill that gap in.

Great list. Two things to add:

- I'm pretty sure you can get Mistborn Prime and Final Empire Prime, but Brandon doesn't send them out too often because they're bad (and no one really asks for them since everything good from them has been put into real Mistborn). It would follow the same procedure as Aether or White Sand, emailing him, but you'd probably need a convincing reason for having them.

- Silence Divine hasn't been completed yet. Brandon has thought about 'demoting' it to a novella, and it's not on his unpublished history list, so it doesn't appear he has the whole thing. But he's worked on bits and pieces here and there, and it has a place in the overall cosmere outline.

On 12/11/2016 at 5:38 AM, Weltall said:

I distinctly remember seeing a transcript of one of his Silence Divine readings, but I can't seem to find it here right now. I think it's in a Google Docs file somewhere.

10 hours ago, skaa said:

I distinctly remember seeing a transcript of one of his Silence Divine readings, but I can't seem to find it here right now. I think it's in a Google Docs file somewhere.

Here you go. I have a copy of this excerpt saved to my computer, since it took me so long to find in the first place, so I was able to search some specific gibberish to find the source.

I was able to get Mistborn Prime, I emailed through the contact form and Adam sent it to me.  I didn't have to give any justification, it was the same as for White Sand and Aether.

He didn't send Final Empire Prime, he said "Brandon’s assistant Adam here. Just wanted to let you know that Final Empire Prime is the same thing as Mistborn Prime."  I'm not sure about this but I didn't want to argue, I assume he knows better than me...

2 hours ago, PeterAhlstrom said:

I sent Adam an email about that.

Peter, is this (http://brandonsanderson.com/contact/) the right place to request White Sand Prose? With "General Comments" as the subject? I'm trying to work on the Coppermind wiki pages and the prose version would help me out with some capitalization and terminology questions. I filled that form out and it's been quite a while now. I assume you guys have just been busy--between AU,Oathbringer, and the holidays--but I just wanted to make sure.

On 12/13/2016 at 9:57 PM, Pagerunner said:

Here you go. I have a copy of this excerpt saved to my computer, since it took me so long to find in the first place, so I was able to search some specific gibberish to find the source.

Thank you, kind sir!