Some Quick Cosmere Thoughts [possible spoilers AU]

Zinnny

I've been reading this forum for a while, but haven't really taken the time to post yet.  I'm reading through AU and I came up with a list of thoughts that I was hoping some thoughts and feedback, I apologize if these things have been answered, I've combed through the forums and didn't find them.

1) In SSFH, is it possible what they call silver is actually aluminum?  It "null" properties similar to that of Aluminum on Scadrial.  They would be similar colors, so maybe people there could just have confused them.  This would mesh with why Kelsier couldn't sense Nazh's knife in Secret History.

2) In SSFH, it's mentioned that Ambition was splintered here, and mentioned that the shades might be cognitive shadows.  Perhaps when Ambition was splintered by Odium, it prevented people from moving to the beyond (don't have an exact explanation as to why).  This is why everyone who dies becomes a Shade.

3) Threnody and Scadrial are close to each other, which is why the Ire were prepared to defend their fort against Shades from Threnody.

4) I forget where I saw it exactly, but in Mistborn, the people are the investiture and the metal is just how that investiture is channeled (correct me if I'm wrong).  If this is true, could a mistborn (or mistling, etc) ever run out of investiture?  What would happen if they did.

That's all I have so far, once again I apologize if I'm asking questions already answered.

1) Possibly? But silver has similar properties to aluminum in mistborn as well.

If I remember correctly, with Allomancy, the investiture comes from Preservation, the metal is just a tool for accessing/channeling it. Mistings are mistings because they are spiritually connected to Preservation. So,

4) No.

5) No.

Edited by Entreos
Added second sentence between 1 and 4.

1) No, it's actually silver, not aluminium.

2) Becoming a shade on Threnody under specific conditions is as a result of ambient investiture from Adonalsium, not a shard's power.

3) No idea, but I doubt it. 

4) The investiture for allomancy comes from Preservation, not the allomancer. Metal acts as a key to unlock the flow of power. Metal is the sole dependent on how long you can perform allomancy, investiture is not a factor.

5) I, personally, don't think the water from Taldain is invested, so no. If it were, then yes, you could possible draw the investiture for allomancy from it, except it would require a severe number of workarounds. 

4. The mistborn use metals to access Preservation's investiture and use that, they are not the investiture being used.

5. The investiture used in sandmastery is inside tiny microbes on the sand that get it from the sun. Giving water to these microbes causes a reaction that uses the investiture. So the water isnt investiture.

27 minutes ago, Blightsong said:

5. The investiture used in sandmastery is inside tiny microbes on the sand that get it from the sun. Giving water to these microbes causes a reaction that uses the investiture. So the water isnt investiture.

One thing I was wondering, is the mechanism of sand mastery actually involving moving the water in the body onto the sand?

From Kriss's essay in AU, I believe she said that the master uses the invested water in their body and forms a sort of cognitive link with the investiture in the sand, which allows them to control it; this also uses the water up which is why they dehydrate.

22 minutes ago, Zinnny said:

From Kriss's essay in AU, I believe she said that the master uses the invested water in their body and forms a sort of cognitive link with the investiture in the sand, which allows them to control it; this also uses the water up which is why they dehydrate.

Yeah, I read the essay, and it does seem to be indicating that the water is invested as well, since she described it as causing the plant life to strongly flourish when applied. It wasn't explicitly stated though and I don't think more investiture is required to create a link if one can already exist as a result of innate investiture, so I'm still on the fence.

I saw nothing in the paragraph to suggest the water is invested. The ability to transfer bodily water into the plant seems fairly supernatural, but the phenomenon seems inherent to the plant.

Wouldn't be the first time a species in the cosmere involves investiture-drawing bonds as part of its life cycle. We have a whole planet's worth of those on Roshar, though those are fauna and not flora.

2 hours ago, natc said:

I saw nothing in the paragraph to suggest the water is invested. The ability to transfer bodily water into the plant seems fairly supernatural, but the phenomenon seems inherent to the plant.

Wouldn't be the first time a species in the cosmere involves investiture-drawing bonds as part of its life cycle. We have a whole planet's worth of those on Roshar, though those are fauna and not flora.

The thing is, the sand has investiture as a result of tiny organisms on it, but the essay suggested that water poured onto regular plants produced fairly incredible spontaneous growths, indicating that the either regular plants are invested, or the water is invested. Since water is a tie between the two, it would make sense for water to be invested as well. Nothing has been seen that indicates that the plants themselves are invested and just require water to flourish, other than that one observation.

4 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

The thing is, the sand has investiture as a result of tiny organisms on it, but the essay suggested that water poured onto regular plants produced fairly incredible spontaneous growths, indicating that the either regular plants are invested, or the water is invested. Since water is a tie between the two, it would make sense for water to be invested as well. Nothing has been seen that indicates that the plants themselves are invested and just require water to flourish, other than that one observation.

Well if the theories about the sun of Taldain being Invested is right, then the water could become Invested during the Water Cycle. After all, the sun makes the water evaporate, which then is diffused in clouds and rain and rivers and so on. With a continuous imput of Investiture, that might tie things together.

Or the plants nourrish themselves with the tiny organisms, and using water on it produce an effect akin to sand mastery.

On 12/7/2016 at 9:37 AM, Zinnny said:

3) Threnody and Scadrial are close to each other, which is why the Ire were prepared to defend their fort against Shades from Threnody.

To correct myself on 3. Threnody and Sel are closer since they're in the same planetary system. As such, I doubt that they're trying to defend themselves from Shades, just probably Threnodite worldhoppers.

On 12/8/2016 at 6:48 PM, Demiandre said:

Well if the theories about the sun of Taldain being Invested is right, then the water could become Invested during the Water Cycle. After all, the sun makes the water evaporate, which then is diffused in clouds and rain and rivers and so on. With a continuous imput of Investiture, that might tie things together.

Or the plants nourrish themselves with the tiny organisms, and using water on it produce an effect akin to sand mastery.

Which is why the darkside doesn't have sand mastery, if the sun is invested, then darksiders wouldn't have access.

46 minutes ago, Zinnny said:

Which is why the darkside doesn't have sand mastery, if the sun is invested, then darksiders wouldn't have access.

Well, at least one of the stars around Taldain is invested. Don't know too much about that second star behind its particulate cloud.

Edited by Knight Oblivion

On 12/9/2016 at 0:56 PM, Spoolofwhool said:

To correct myself on 3. Threnody and Sel are closer since they're in the same planetary system. As such, I doubt that they're trying to defend themselves from Shades, just probably Threnodite worldhoppers.

No... I am pretty sure they are in completely different systems, as evidenced by the maps in AU.

Edited by Okola the Misspellde

11 minutes ago, Okola the Misspellde said:

No... I am pretty sure they are in completely different systems, as evidenced by the maps in AU.

I can't remember what the maps look like, but there's a WoB that says they are. So either the maps aren't showing the complete picture or Brandon changed his mind.

PALADIN BREWER

Is Threnody in the same planetary system as Sel?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes it is.

[Source]

23 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

PALADIN BREWER

Is Threnody in the same planetary system as Sel?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes it is.

[Source

This is a WoB that has been debunked.  Brandon and Peter have confirmed this is not true.  Sadly, it pops up every so often and we're sad to see it's not the case.  I wish they'd update Theoryland to reflect this!

Edited by VirtuousTraveller

37 minutes ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

This is a WoB that has been debunked.  Brandon and Peter have confirmed this is not true.  Sadly, it pops up every so often and we're sad to see it's not the case.  I wish they'd update Theoryland to reflect this!

Okay, thanks. I'm not sure who can change Theoryland though. I think I saw someone say that WeiryWriter can?

Edited by Spoolofwhool

• Chaos locked this topic