Hoid's ability to go where he needs

gengar

Well it is my first post and i've looked and couldnt find anyone who wrote about it but correct me if its already have been theorised.
It is known from a WoB(that i dont remember where) that Hoid uses Feruchemy to be where he needs to be although he doesnt actually know.
I belive Hoid draws fortune to get lucky and happen to be where he needs to be.
There is a quote from mistborn Secret History part 5, 2nd chapter "you always jump at stories, Alonoe. not every coincidence is a sign someone drawing upon fortune"
and it sounds very similar to what hoid does that he just happends to be around major events around the cosmere.

Yep, it's commonly been speculated that he's using 'luck' to get where he needs to be. Actually, this was confirmed just yesterday at a signing when someone asked a question on the topic and the answer they got was that Hoid isn't necessarily using chromium feruchemy but the underlying mechanic of how he gets where he needs to be is the same. And that he gets places without knowing why he needs to be there at first.

Welcome to the Shard!

Edited by Weltall

Hmm. Now that I think about it, this is very likely the case. From WoR and Edgedancer we learn that Hoid was once swallowed by a greatshell for the better part of a year. That sounds pretty dang unlucky to me. And now that I think about it, what sort of person could survive constantly filling a fortunemind? Hm, I dunno. Someone who's next impossible to kill? I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot more insane scenarios like this occurring with him miraculously surviving. I also am wondering if the reason why he poses as a beggar so often is entirely a choice, or because he fills his fortunemind to the point where he ends up poor and homeless, until he eventually needs to tap it to get him to where he needs to be.

• Chaos locked this topic