"Time Dilation"

Confused

Brandon says Worldhoppers undergo some form of "time dilation" that slows down their aging. Speculation: Though Worldhoppers travel through the Cognitive Realm, maybe they still benefit from time's relativity. There are Physical Realm distances between planets, and the Cosmere's physical "laws" are our own, plus magic. It takes Demoux a short time to travel from Scadrial to Roshar through the CR, but the planets may be light years distant. Demoux would have been long dead had he remained on Scadrial. Think Planet of the Apes, except that the space travel was through the CR, not space itself.

Does this explanation make sense?

I would go so far to say that when someone enters to the Cognitive Realm, they stop aging completely. We already know that physics in the two realms are completely different (shadows in Shadesmar stretching towards light, for example), so I wouldn't be surprised if they remain in the exact same state that they were upon entering the CR. This actual matches the theory that Silverlight exists in the Cognitive Realm pretty dang well, which I've now re-convinced myself is the case, since according to Words of Isaac (I think? Might have been Peter who said it), the star chart of the Cosmere was "imagined" from Silverlight, which is very different from saying it was drawn from its location's perspective.

I suppose it's possible that time just slows rather than stops for them in the Cognitive Realm, but during the scene in WoR where Shallan goes into Shadesmar and sees the lights representing the shipmates winking out of existence as they die, it appears all of that is happening in real time. I would think that if time was slower for the Worldhoppers in the Shadesmar, than the events they witness happening on the other side would be slowed down as well.

So yeah. I support the idea that when a physical being enters the Cognitive Realm completely, they effectively become frozen at the state they were when they entered it, and that if they reentered the physical realm from the Cognitive, there would be no catching up (a la TLR) required. This also might help explain why Galladon and the IRE remain immortal despite being so far from Elantris. I need to read SH again, but I don't remember the IRE ever using Aons, let alone looking like Elantrians.

It's possible that the reason why Baon, Galladon and Demoux are all still alive for the events of WoK is not because they have found their own ways to become immortal via their specific powers, but because they all spend most of their time in the Cognitive Realm, along with Hoid, Khriss, Nazh, and other members of the 17th Shard / Worldhoppers.

Edited by Amanuensis

3 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

This actual matches the theory that Silverlight exists in the Cognitive Realm pretty dang well, which I've now re-convinced myself is the case, since according to Words of Isaac (I think? Might have been Peter who said it), the star chart of the Cosmere was "imagined" from Silverlight, which is very different from saying it was drawn from it's location's perspective.

I got WoB confirming that Silverlight solely exists in the CR at the Fort Collins signing (along with some other great stuff).

Completely missed that! Awesome. I'm definitely in full support of this idea, now. It's always seemed a bit of a stretch that a Darksider, Atium Misting and Elantrian who's far-from-home all found their own unique ways to be Immortal, let alone Khriss, Nazh and the rest. If physically traveling into the Cognitive Realm just freezes their aging, then it's suddenly a single, believable explanation for them all.

• Chaos locked this topic