Aluminum

Stormpapa

Question

8 answers to this question

Just now, Stormpapa said:

Hi! I was watching a video on metal foundries, and the author stated aluminum is non-magmetic. I was wondering if Brandon made aluminum Allomantic Resistant based off of this. What do you guys think?

As far as I know, Brandon made the  Alluminium as Anti-Investiture for his rarity in a pre-industrial era.

Now the aluminium is pretty common because we have method to refine it. But in the ancient time, the Aluminium in his mineral form was one of the rarest material on Earth and many cultures workship it as a godly metal

Keep in mind most metals that don't contain iron are non-magnetic.  Many of the Allomantic metals (like gold) are non-magnetic, and other metals with no Allomantic effects (like silver) are also non-magnetic, but don't have any special effects like aluminum.  I don't think that particular quality of aluminum is likely behind his choice of aluminum, though I do wonder if there was a more specific reason than an almost random choice of aluminum.

On 11/20/2016 at 1:46 PM, Jondesu said:

Keep in mind most metals that don't contain iron are non-magnetic.  Many of the Allomantic metals (like gold) are non-magnetic, and other metals with no Allomantic effects (like silver) are also non-magnetic, but don't have any special effects like aluminum.  I don't think that particular quality of aluminum is likely behind his choice of aluminum, though I do wonder if there was a more specific reason than an almost random choice of aluminum.

That makes sense, I guess I just didn't realize aluminum wasn't the only nonmagnetic allomantic metal.

On 2016-11-20 at 7:46 PM, Jondesu said:

I do wonder if there was a more specific reason than an almost random choice of aluminum.

I think it has more to do with the fact that aluminium is very hard to come by, until certain technologies are invented, at which point it becomes very abundant. The Mistborn series was planned to span over generations, and we will (probably) get to see very different attitudes to aluminium over time. In the first trilogy, aluminium was very rare, even when you don't consider that TLR did not allow the knowledge of it to spread. In the W&W books, aluminium is known, and very, very valuable - because it is very rare, and very useful. In the next trilogy, assuming Scadrial's crust is anything like Earth's, aluminium will probably be very cheap in comparison - more expensive than on Earth, likely, because it has more uses, but still cheap.

Not to mention that Brandon has suggested there are potential applications for aluminum allomancy purging all investiture from the body, not just wiping out your allomantic metals. The more Scadrial gets involved with the wider Cosmere, the more important the metal is likely to become. Especially since it's been confirmed that the Forgery-proof ralkalest from The Emperor's Soul is actually aluminum and that the metal has potential effects on all forms of investiture.

All of this just made me think that Aluminium is Adonalsiums Godmetal. It can suck Investiture in any form because it comes from the source of all Investiture in the Cosmere. It protect from various forms of Investiture for the same reason.

How cool would that be ! :)

It's a stretch, but being the prime-Investiture made solid, producing it might be easier than any Shardic Godmetal. The problem being the disponibility of suitable raw materials. All Investitures can be synthesized into Aluminium (as all come from Adonalsium, I assume it englobes all forms of Investiture), but a Shard's Godmetal should need a source of Investiture atuned to them I guess (feel free to share if some information in A.U is relevant. I plan to buy it, but am short on coins, so I wait and discuss anyway :-) ANd that would stop me from side-tracking too much ^^)

31 minutes ago, Demiandre said:

All of this just made me think that Aluminium is Adonalsiums Godmetal. It can suck Investiture in any form because it comes from the source of all Investiture in the Cosmere. It protect from various forms of Investiture for the same reason.

How cool would that be ! :)

Except we know for example that you may soulcast something into Aluminium as any other mundane metal, while to Soulcast something into Atium-Lerasium-ecc.... you will need a tons of Investiture.