Oathbringer Update Five

Oversleep

I wonder if rather than about Dalinar, Oathbringer the in-universe book is be about the Herald Ishar. After all, Ishar was the one who imposed order upon the burgeoning Knights Radiant, so I guess you could say he... *drumroll*... brought them the Oaths? And besides, Ishar's the Bondsmith Herald, Dalinar is a Bondsmith, so he might want to look for some book about his Order's patron, explaining the way the book could figure in the story.

The title might also imply that the end of WoR is going to have major implications for Oathbringer. TWoK and WoR were both in-universe books, but the titles also apply to the plots of the volumes in many ways. Oathbringer is sure to do the same, and one way might be very literal. There is a Shardblade named Oathbringer out there, and Adolin tossed it out a window at the end of the last book. That could be part of the title's meaning--that Oathbringer will be found, and it will kick off major plot developments. That would explain why it looks like Adolin's POVs are being saved for near the end: a lot of things need to be set up before we get a major payoff when we finally get to see things from his perspective.

We have a WoB explaining how certain Shardblades have become so famous, their names get carried on from one bearer to the other. The implications are Oathbringer is such a Blade as Sadeas didn't rename it and always referred to it as "Oathbrigner" and not as "Dalinar's Shardblade". 

The most likely possibility merely is there is an in-word book named Oathbringer which tell the tales of a famous sword, perhaps how its name become famous, how the Blade earned it. 

It is probably relevant to the flashback where Dalinar wins it and nothing else. It certainly isn't relevant to any other character.

54 minutes ago, maxal said:

We have a WoB explaining how certain Shardblades have become so famous, their names get carried on from one bearer to the other. The implications are Oathbringer is such a Blade as Sadeas didn't rename it and always referred to it as "Oathbrigner" and not as "Dalinar's Shardblade". 

The most likely possibility merely is there is an in-word book named Oathbringer which tell the tales of a famous sword, perhaps how its name become famous, how the Blade earned it. 

It is probably relevant to the flashback where Dalinar wins it and nothing else. It certainly isn't relevant to any other character.

Like this theory.  I think it would be great to see it recorded in a book of the same name based on the history of the blade. 

20 hours ago, maxal said:

For arguments sake, I wanna say Dalinar might have named it during Gavilars conquest of Alethkar. Like after having the book read to him, he decided to name it Oathbringer. But that doesnt seem like anywhere near enough time for a blade to gain such notoriety. So you're probably right, in that its been named Oathbringer for a long time now.

On 11/26/2016 at 3:03 PM, maxal said:

While possible; i much more like this hypothesis:

On 11/26/2016 at 0:04 PM, Rasarr said:

After all, Ishar was the one who imposed order upon the burgeoning Knights Radiant, so I guess you could say he... *drumroll*... brought them the Oaths? And besides, Ishar's the Bondsmith Herald, Dalinar is a Bondsmith, so he might want to look for some book about his Order's patron, explaining the way the book could figure in the story.

I like the concept of the "stormlight archive" being 10 in-world books that talk about high level ideals / philosophy / ancient wisdom.  That's why I'm a fan of oathbringer being something more majestic, like something from Ishar, or a guidebook for the Bondsmiths... as opposed to a travel log from a sword.

Hm, if we think that Oathbringer is a legendary sword, that implies that there must have been a legendary swordsman who once wielded it.  And since shardblades are so large, I think we have a good idea of who that was.  He even has a unique shardplate variation (berserker armor, for those unfamiliar with the manga):

berserk___guts_by_yoyaan-d6ndc9y.jpg

(Please do this, Brandon, I NEED something to distract me from the travesty of the 2016 Berserk Anime)

1 hour ago, Patrick Star said:

Hm, if we think that Oathbringer is a legendary sword, that implies that there must have been a legendary swordsman who once wielded it.  And since shardblades are so large, I think we have a good idea of who that was.  He even has a unique shardplate variation (berserker armor, for those unfamiliar with the manga):

(Please do this, Brandon, I NEED something to distract me from the travesty of the 2016 Berserk Anime)

Minor Spoiler's for the Dalinar flashback chapters in the Unfettered ii collection:

Spoiler

Oathbringer was Sunmaker's (the dude who united Alethkhar for a bit long before the events of WoK) sword way back when. Sorry for killing your crossover hopes and dreams.

15 hours ago, Blightsong said:

Minor Spoiler's for the Dalinar flashback chapters in the Unfettered ii collection:

Hide contents

Oathbringer was Sunmaker's (the dude who united Alethkhar for a bit long before the events of WoK) sword way back when. Sorry for killing your crossover hopes and dreams.

On 12/1/2016 at 2:43 PM, Patrick Star said:

I actually liked the anime. I was not expecting to, but the dark color palette and atmosphere just worked for me. And once again, it stuck pretty close to the manga.

1 hour ago, Patrick Star said:

You know, other than cutting out an entire story arc.

Also, the PS4 game has better character models and a better framerate.

I haven't played the ps4 game. I don't remember anything getting cut from the Tower story arc. They skipped over some stuff from where the previous anime left off, but I didn't particularly mind. The Black Swordsman arc was the wrong size to include, really. It is too short for its own thing, but too long to put before what they did and retain quality. The older anime cut out a lot too. I don't blame it either.

• Chaos locked this topic