The Broken One

Sherwin94

I have a theory that the Broken One mentioned in the death rattle is none other the remnant of Adonalsium after the Shattering. Points to support my theory:

1. In Ym's interlude, he mentioned about his religion and One. Ym is an Iriali. Furthermore, the death rattle regarding the Broken One ("the Broken One reigns") came from a person with Iriali descent.

2. Adonalsium grew the Roshar super-continent specifically and invested in the planet/system. He also left spren there. This may indicate Adonalsium probably has some plan with Roshar. 

I suspect this death rattle references an event that will happen at the end of Book 5 or during the back five books, after Odium has been weakened or defeated in the first five books. And this "Broken One" aka Adonalsium's Remnant will take charge or something along those lines. This is one of my very first theories here :) Thanks for reading . 

Edited by Sherwin94

Ooh, that's a truly interesting idea. I think most have been assuming the Broken One is Honor or Odium, but Adolnasium would be fascinating. Because of the way everything's been set up, I don't think that would take away from SA being a standalone series either. IIRC, Adolnasium has already been name-dropped. I don't have any particular holes to shoot in it, though others might, so for now, have an upvote!

Interesting...I had previously assumed the broken one was either the storm father or Odium.

Two knitpicks: first, the death rattle came from someone of partial iriali descent and it doesn't sound religiously charged in my opinion. second, Adonalasium made and invested in a lot of worlds. There's reason to believe Yolen may have been even more heavily invested in than Roshar.

That said, I like your theory. it would be interesting if true, but there doesnt seem to be much in the way of supporting evidence. have an upvote!

11 hours ago, Sherwin94 said:

I have a theory that the Broken One mentioned in the death rattle is none other the remnant of Adonalsium after the Shattering. Points to support my theory:

1. In Ym's interlude, he mentioned about his religion and One. Ym is an Iriali. Furthermore, the death rattle regarding the Broken One ("the Broken One reigns") came from a person with Iriali descent.

2. Adonalsium grew the Roshar super-continent specifically and invested in the planet/system. He also left spren there. This may indicate Adonalsium probably has some plan with Roshar. 

I suspect this death rattle references an event that will happen at the end of Book 5 or during the back five books, after Odium has been weakened or defeated in the first five books. And this "Broken One" aka Adonalsium's Remnant will take charge or something along those lines. This is one of my very first theories here :) Thanks for reading . 

This is excellent. First things first, have an upvote.

Very interesting theory. I never thought of Adonalsium being connected to Ym's religion, so congrats on making those Connections.

I have no qualms with this theory, it's really quite good.

17 minutes ago, Tsidqiyah said:

Hey this is the first i am hearing about  a "remnant of Adonalsium" besides the shards. Can someone get me the WoB on this. i need a new research topic

It's a pretty loose idea; we haven't seen any real WoBs about it, other than one that says spren were on Roshar before the Shattering.

Mistborn: Secret History Spoilers

Spoiler

With Khriss's reveal that Adonalsium was an individual, killed by the future Vessels, it's been theorized that Adonalsium might have a Cognitive Shadow.

As to the original post, the Stormfather clearly tells Kaladin that "Odium reigns," which is why Odium is the clear frontrunner for The Broken One.

"Wait!" Kaladin said. "Why is there so much war? Must we always fight?" He wasn't sure why he asked. The questions simply came out.

The storm rumbled, like a thoughtful aged father. The face vanished, shattering into droplets of water.

More softly, the voice answered, Odium reigns.

Connecting this to the actual death rattle:

Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns

- Collected: Chachanan, 1173, 84 seconds pre-death.
Subject: a cutpurse with the wasting sickness, of partial Iriali descent.

If I understand your theory correctly, you're suggesting that, even though Odium reigns right now, the Remnant of Adonalsium will take over as the bad guy in the back half of the series? I guess the big question is, what does it mean to reign? That was actually the subject of my very first theory here, as well, since I had a hard time reconciling Odium as being both one of the 'three,' and the Broken One. (It's a little dated, since I held to the since-debunked theory that there was a fourth Shard on Roshar, and before we learned in WoR that Odium had been trapped in the Roshar system, so don't hold me to everything in it.) But I could use a little more explanation on your part of what exactly you think it means to 'reign' in this context?

It's also worth mentioning that not all the Death Rattles refer to future events. There are some that are concurrent, but happening elsewhere (Shalash scratching out eyes on her statues, Taln taking the burdens of nine), so they aren't all necessarily visions of the future.

But, still, a good thought, and it's always good to look outside the box! We'll see what new info comes our way next year when Oathbringer is released; if it's anything like Words of Radiance, it will totally change our paradigms on what we think we know about Roshar.

4 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

It's a pretty loose idea; we haven't seen any real WoBs about it, other than one that says spren were on Roshar before the Shattering.

Mistborn: Secret History Spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

With Khriss's reveal that Adonalsium was an individual, killed by the future Vessels, it's been theorized that Adonalsium might have a Cognitive Shadow.

As to the original post, the Stormfather clearly tells Kaladin that "Odium reigns," which is why Odium is the clear frontrunner for The Broken One.

Connecting this to the actual death rattle:

If I understand your theory correctly, you're suggesting that, even though Odium reigns right now, the Remnant of Adonalsium will take over as the bad guy in the back half of the series? I guess the big question is, what does it mean to reign? That was actually the subject of my very first theory here, as well, since I had a hard time reconciling Odium as being both one of the 'three,' and the Broken One. (It's a little dated, since I held to the since-debunked theory that there was a fourth Shard on Roshar, and before we learned in WoR that Odium had been trapped in the Roshar system, so don't hold me to everything in it.) But I could use a little more explanation on your part of what exactly you think it means to 'reign' in this context?

It's also worth mentioning that not all the Death Rattles refer to future events. There are some that are concurrent, but happening elsewhere (Shalash scratching out eyes on her statues, Taln taking the burdens of nine), so they aren't all necessarily visions of the future.

But, still, a good thought, and it's always good to look outside the box! We'll see what new info comes our way next year when Oathbringer is released; if it's anything like Words of Radiance, it will totally change our paradigms on what we think we know about Roshar.

Three of Sixteen refers to Honor, Cultivation and Odium "ruling" over Roshar. The "Broken One" could have been one of the three (as in one of three).

Edited by bleeder

8 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Three of Sixteen refers to Honor, Cultivation and Odium "ruling" over Roshar. The "Broken One" could have been one of the three (as in one of three).

But what does it mean to 'reign'? It can't be to just exist on the planet or in the solar system - Cultivation hasn't been Shattered, so why does only Odium reign? Odium isn't even on Roshar, he's on Braize.

3 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

But what does it mean to 'reign'? It can't be to just exist on the planet or in the solar system - Cultivation hasn't been Shattered, so why does only Odium reign? Odium isn't even on Roshar, he's on Braize.

Waitasec. 

I just found this.

tl;dr Honor was "broken" by Odium, and now all that remains is the Stormfather.

7 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Waitasec. 

I just found this.

tl;dr Honor was "broken" by Odium, and now all that remains is the Stormfather.

So, there's an assertion in there that The Broken One can't be a Shard, so it must be the remnants of Honor, and that Cultivation and Odium are also gone. That can't be the case; as I said above, Cultivation hasn't been Shattered. It also doesn't explain how Odium can reign, since reigning seems to be defined as being active in the system.

Could the 3 of 16 actually be no reference to beings, but the 3 planets? Ashyn, Braize, and Roshar? Brandon always RAFO's when asked about the other planets in the system. Maybe they were all one society/sytem until something happened in the past and how only the "broken one" rules the system.

Edited by lordofarda

Wait. Three of sixteen ruled but now the Broken One reigns. 

Guys. 

Taln will eventually possess Honor and Cultivation, and maybe even a third shard that maybe gets mixed up in all this. I can't imagine him defeating and possessing Honor, Cultivation, and Odium because then he'd become the new bad guy probably. Unless that's the plot twist. The three intents together probably temper each other so maybe he wouldn't be pure evil but then we'd lose the main antagonist (leaving perhaps only Autonomy). This probably happens at the end of the 10 books. Anyway. New theory, who knows.

In a conversation some of us were having on a different thread, the idea of The Evil on Threnody being somehow related to the Cognitive Shadow of Adonalsium came up too.  While we can connect Threnody to Sel (via the Ire) and to Scadrial (via MB: SH), I'm not sure I see a clear connection (presently) to Roshar.  SSSH does reference a mass migration from "the Fallen World," which was (according to the Coppermind) "a continent that contained the Homeland."  Roshar is a continent, but I'm not convinced these two things are related.

Chronologically, SSSH comes before the Stormlight Archive, so that makes me think it can't be Odium, as he's been imprisoned for thousands of years in the Greater Roshar system, while the mass migration on Threnody seems to be relatively recent.  Perhaps ol' Adonalsium is still floating around somewhere in some form or fashion!

I'm also not sure how you think Taln will be the new shardholder.  Also, the one who "reigns" does not necessarily need to be the most powerful, just the one who influences things most, for example Odium could rule so long as Cultivation chooses not to get involved.

4 hours ago, lordofarda said:

Could the 3 of 16 actually be no reference to beings, but the 3 planets? Ashyn, Braize, and Roshar? Brandon always RAFO's when asked about the other planets in the system. Maybe they were all one society/sytem until something happened in the past and how only the "broken one" rules the system.

That's a really good observation. 

3 hours ago, Garglemesh said:

Wait. Three of sixteen ruled but now the Broken One reigns. 

Guys. 

Taln will eventually possess Honor and Cultivation, and maybe even a third shard that maybe gets mixed up in all this. I can't imagine him defeating and possessing Honor, Cultivation, and Odium because then he'd become the new bad guy probably. Unless that's the plot twist. The three intents together probably temper each other so maybe he wouldn't be pure evil but then we'd lose the main antagonist (leaving perhaps only Autonomy). This probably happens at the end of the 10 books. Anyway. New theory, who knows.

I thought about Taln, but I don't know. Anything is possible.

11 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

So, there's an assertion in there that The Broken One can't be a Shard, so it must be the remnants of Honor, and that Cultivation and Odium are also gone. That can't be the case; as I said above, Cultivation hasn't been Shattered. It also doesn't explain how Odium can reign, since reigning seems to be defined as being active in the system.

I like the theory that the Broken One is the Stormfather. We've already established that he is a broken Honor. And as BrightVoid said,

9 hours ago, BrightVoid said:

the one who "reigns" does not necessarily need to be the most powerful, just the one who influences things most, for example Odium could rule so long as Cultivation chooses not to get involved.

Odium and Cultivation haven't been super active as far as we know. However, the highstorms have continued. That could be how the Stormfather reigns.

• Chaos locked this topic