The Last Order

BrightVoid

So everyone has been making a big deal about how one order undertook "a great subterfuge at the cost of the others", and we have a lot of theories about who they are and where they went, but I don't see a huge deal in it.  The most influence that they could have had is an organization started or a legacy left behind, but with the spren acting very reluctant to bond new Radiants I believe that the order died out very quickly, within one generation.  Any thoughts?

It seems likely that the Skybreakers were the last order, as Shallan's brothers were trying to get in contact with said group in the present time.  Nale's admonition to Szeth at the end of WoR seems like he's frustrated with the Shin who now will get justice, perhaps because they (the Shin being the descendants of the Skybreakers) lost their commitment.

42 minutes ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

It seems likely that the Skybreakers were the last order, as Shallan's brothers were trying to get in contact with said group in the present time.  Nale's admonition to Szeth at the end of WoR seems like he's frustrated with the Shin who now will get justice, perhaps because they (the Shin being the descendants of the Skybreakers) lost their commitment.

The modern "Skybreakers" might just be Nale's band, who are unlikely to have any bonds with actual spren (since Nale wants to stop that exact thing from happening). It's unclear if those Skybreakers have any direct ties to the old ones, except through Nale himself. I got the feeling that Nale set the organization up recently, but I might be wrong.

I think they did die out, yeah. Their "legacy" might be the Shin (or just Stone Shamans), it might be these modern Skybreakers, or it might be something else. Or nothing. But I think they must have done something important. Maybe they hid a cache of shards somewhere, or something.

7 minutes ago, BrightVoid said:

I would hate for it to be a hidden cache of shards, it would feel like too much like

Spoiler

the ending of HoA.

Yeah, it would be more interesting if they did something else. But they must have done something, right?

(Also I spoilered your last bit since this is the Stormlight subforum. Not exactly a big thing, but better safe than sorry I guess)

15 hours ago, Oversleep said:

As far as I know there is no information about that. Do you have a source for this?

I've seen traces of this idea around here in the forums but no, this is just conjecture at this point.  "Likely and perhaps," two words that get we theoryweavers into trouble sometimes! :P

• Chaos locked this topic