Warbreaker Worldhopper question

bdoble97

So if Vasher world jump to Roshar and can now use stormlight instead of breath to stay alive. Can Vasher now Zahel still use breath to awaken objects. We know that awaken objects will be able to exist in Roshar bc Szeth will be using nightblood in book 3. Another question if the magic system from Warbreaker can be used on Roshar can people Return on Roshar. I would this rather not happen.  I just remember reading some wete that there is alot of cross over between WB and SA. 

Edited by firstRainbowRose
Please avoid spoilers in the titles, including cameos. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

So if Vasher world jump to Roshar and can now use stormlight instead of breath to stay alive. Can Vasher now Zahel still use breath to awaken objects. We know that awaken objects will be able to exist in Roshar bc Szeth will be using nightblood in book 3. Another question if the magic system from Warbreaker can be used on Roshar can people Return on Roshar. I would this rather not happen.  I just remember reading some wete that there is alot of cross over between WB and SA. 

Awakening is universal in Cosmere as long as you meet the prerequisites. 

Returning is only possible on Nalthis I believe. In any case, you have to have a specific spiritual DNA that native Nalthian possesses in order to return.

There aren't going to be any significant crossovers since SA will be Cosmere-independent for major plot points.

Overall, what is happening with Vasher on Roshar isn't changing any systems that haven't already been in place for centuries. Yes, manipulating different systems at the same time in order to obtain new effects is possible, but nothing extreme untowards is going to occur. Him being on Roshar isn't going to suddenly start causing Rosharans to return, if that were even possible. If it were possible before, it would've happened already.

We have WoB that Vasher (currently at least) can't Awaken with stormlight but nothing prevents him from using any stored Breaths he may have for that, just as people with Breath (ie Hoid) still have the passive effects of Heightenings.

9 hours ago, Weltall said:

We have WoB that Vasher (currently at least) can't Awaken with stormlight but nothing prevents him from using any stored Breaths he may have for that, just as people with Breath (ie Hoid) still have the passive effects of Heightenings.

Can Vasher gather breath from people on Roshar if he wanted to.

31 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

No. Rosharans don't have breath. Only people with the specific Nalthian sDNA are born with breath.

Ok so what if there was a Rosharan/Nalthian child or can the two species of humans nothave offspring. I know Vasher can't have kids bc he is a returned but what if a normal Nalthian world jumped to Roshar 

7 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Ok so what if there was a Rosharan/Nalthian child or can the two species of humans nothave offspring. I know Vasher can't have kids bc he is a returned but what if a normal Nalthian world jumped to Roshar 

The descendant could be born with breath, or might not be. 

A child that has "mixxed" sDNA could be interesting. Like Spoolofwhool said, it might or might not. We just don't know, as we haven't seen yet anyone with parents from different planets (maybe we did, but if so we don't know). But really, good question.

About Returned not having children; That's not really correct, all Returned are capable of having children, if they have some special knowledge (which we don't have yet). Proof for that are Siri and Vivenna, as the royal locks come as one of their ancestors was a Returned

1 hour ago, Thunder_93 said:

A child that has "mixxed" sDNA could be interesting. Like Spoolofwhool said, it might or might not. We just don't know, as we haven't seen yet anyone with parents from different planets (maybe we did, but if so we don't know). But really, good question.

About Returned not having children; That's not really correct, all Returned are capable of having children, if they have some special knowledge (which we don't have yet). Proof for that are Siri and Vivenna, as the royal locks come as one of their ancestors was a Returned

Good point about Siri and Vivenna. I am hoping Vivenna is on Roshar with Vasher. What if Vivenna and Vasher had a child. I think that child would be very powerful with breath. I wonder how long Vasher has been on Roshar and how old he is now seeing how he was over 300 years old during Warbreaker 

1 hour ago, bdoble97 said:

Good point about Siri and Vivenna. I am hoping Vivenna is on Roshar with Vasher. What if Vivenna and Vasher had a child. I think that child would be very powerful with breath. I wonder how long Vasher has been on Roshar and how old he is now seeing how he was over 300 years old during Warbreaker 

We don't know exactly how long he been there. However, I'm going to say that he's been there for awhile, at least by Rosharan years, since he trained Adolin in combat, must've had some reputation before that.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

6 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

SA is about 20 years after Warbreaker, so he would be about 320 years old. I'm going to say that he's been there for awhile, at least by Rosharan years, since he trained Adolin in combat, must've had some reputation before that.

I totally forgot he also trained Adolin. To me it sounds like Vasher must of jumped to Roshar pritty soon after the events of Warbreaker. 

7 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

SA is about 20 years after Warbreaker, so he would be about 320 years old. I'm going to say that he's been there for awhile, at least by Rosharan years, since he trained Adolin in combat, must've had some reputation before that.

Do you have a specific source on the time interval between Warbreaker and Stormlight? Also Vasher would be much older than 320 if that were the case. The Manywar was 300 years before Warbreaker and he had already been Returned for at least a decent amount of time before that (long enough to worldhop to Roshar and see a Shardblade), and he was alive for some time before Returning as well.

2 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Can you please confirm? Warbreaker and Alloy were originally set around the same time, several hundred years before Way of Kings, but Alloy moved out past Way of Kings because of a timeline conflict. I haven't heard the 20 years number before. (Sources: [1] [2] [3])

12 minutes ago, BeskarKomrk said:

Do you have a specific source on the time interval between Warbreaker and Stormlight? Also Vasher would be much older than 320 if that were the case. The Manywar was 300 years before Warbreaker and he had already been Returned for at least a decent amount of time before that (long enough to worldhop to Roshar and see a Shardblade), and he was alive for some time before Returning as well.

10 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Can you please confirm? Warbreaker and Alloy were originally set around the same time, several hundred years before Way of Kings, but Alloy moved out past Way of Kings because of a timeline conflict. I haven't heard the 20 years number before. (Sources: [1] [2] [3])

I also thought there was much larger time gap between Warbreaker and SA. The 300 yeats old is how old Vivenna thinks Vasher is she says to her self  when thinking about Vasher but he would definitely been well learened in the Bio stuff well before the Manywar so mabe he is more like 350-400 years old during Warbreaker 

I'm not actually sure to be honest. I just feel like I read somewhere that it was around 20 years after. I can't remember where, so I'm going to edit that out of my reply. The 300 was just from the person ahead of me. I should've said at least 320. My error.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

1 hour ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I'm not actually sure to be honest. I just feel like I read somewhere that it was around 20 years after. I can't remember where, so I'm going to edit that out of my reply. The 300 was just from the person ahead of me. I should've said at least 320. My error.

No prob. Love talking about this cosmere unavers.

9 hours ago, bdoble97 said:

I think being born with a Breath is more about being born on Nalthis than having the right parents. Not completely sure about the parents though. But at least, I don't think you can be born with a Breath outside Nalthis.

47 minutes ago, Eki said:

I think being born with a Breath is more about being born on Nalthis than having the right parents. Not completely sure about the parents though. But at least, I don't think you can be born with a Breath outside Nalthis.

I think Brandon has been coy about that, but has indicated the same. I'd wonder if it'd be a little different for someone born in Shadesmar, if that's possible.

1 hour ago, Jondesu said:

I think Brandon has been coy about that, but has indicated the same. I'd wonder if it'd be a little different for someone born in Shadesmar, if that's possible.

Some one born in shadesmare now thats cool. I have wantted Kaladin and Syl to become a thing. Some how she becomes a physical being and mabe in the latter 5 thier child is in it. But if Kaladingoes to Shadesmar and Syl is a physical being there hmmm. There child could be so.e crazy powerful hybrid. 

6 hours ago, Eki said:

Not really, It's not a simple matter of "have a Breath". Nalthisian born with a greater Soul than any other human but a relevant part of it is removible. their "unremovible soul" is less than a standard human's soul (is what they have when they become Drab) and may be comparable to a victim of Hemalurgy who survive this magic.

Or Do you say that if a foreign child born on Nalthis it will born as a normal human (of his kind) but with a Free Breath ? (In this case I may imagine how Nalthis would be the favorite birthplace of many Wordhoppers' family :lol:)

12 minutes ago, Yata said:

Not really, It's not a simple matter of "have a Breath". Nalthisian born with a greater Soul than any other human but a relevant part of it is removible. their "unremovible soul" is less than a standard human's soul (is what they have when they become Drab) and may be comparable to a victim of Hemalurgy who survive this magic.

Or Do you say that if a foreign child born on Nalthis it will born as a normal human (of his kind) but with a Free Breath ? (In this case I may imagine how Nalthis would be the favorite birthplace of many Wordhoppers' family :lol:)

I mean that Endowment changes the soul of anyone born on the planet. Not just adding a Breath on top of the "normal" soul, but actually changing it, including bestowing the Breath.

@Eki the topic is a bit tricky. We don't know if Endowment made the Human on Nalthis in the same way others shards did (so if the Nalthis Human are "special" from the start)

We have a WoB of a kid born from a Scadrial guy and a Nalthian to have a bit of Preservation and a bit of Endowment (with unkown effect on the child, but this now is not relevant). This would happen whatever the child will born and may be a clue about the not-dependacy of Nalthis as birthplace in the Breath give-away.

This seems to point more on a Connection-Spiritual Identity factor. The Child of People with the right sDNA (and therefore a Connection to Endowment) are blessed with a Breath.

of course this is all a speculation of mine, but it will be a nice question to ask to Mister Sanderson.

Edited by Yata

Yeah, @Yata, I could be wrong. It feels right though. After all, this seems to be exactly what happens when someone Returns: Endowment literally bestows someone with a Breath. It's in the name, "Endowment". I feel like if it was genetical... it wouldn't be an "endowment" in the same way. I dunno. It would be nice to get some clarification on that.

4 hours ago, Eki said:

Yeah, @Yata, I could be wrong. It feels right though. After all, this seems to be exactly what happens when someone Returns: Endowment literally bestows someone with a Breath. It's in the name, "Endowment". I feel like if it was genetical... it wouldn't be an "endowment" in the same way. I dunno. It would be nice to get some clarification on that.

Returning is genetic though. If you don't have the right sDNA, Endowment won't consider you for returning.

• Chaos locked this topic