Aparently Nostradamus Predicts Election

mattig89ch

I just saw this on the history channel.  And since I couldn't find the politics thread (went back 3 pages, didn't see it) I figured I'd post it here.

Apparently, Nostradamus predicted the election results.  I'm not saying I want either candidate to win, I'm voting libertarian this election.  But I thought it was interesting, and I figured I'd share.

5 hours ago, mattig89ch said:

I just saw this on the history channel.  And since I couldn't find the politics thread (went back 3 pages, didn't see it) I figured I'd post it here.

Apparently, Nostradamus predicted the election results.  I'm not saying I want either candidate to win, I'm voting libertarian this election.  But I thought it was interesting, and I figured I'd share.

Whoa, man. Whoa.

All I promised was interesting.  Nothing else.

But it does make you think.

From those writings, who do you think is going to win?

Keep in mind, those quotes are in the order the show used them in.  Not the order he wrote them in.  The message gets a whole lot different if you read them in order.

You know what I hate? Fortune tellers. They always seem to be right, in the end. 

Look at this one:

CENTURY VIII, QUATRAIN 23 
Letters are found in the queen's chests, 
No signature and no name of the author. 
The ruse will conceal the offers; 
so that they do not know who the lover is. 

(I don't know about you guys but I'm thinking emails.)

9 minutes ago, bleeder said:

You know what I hate? Fortune tellers. They always seem to be right, in the end. 

Look at this one:

CENTURY VIII, QUATRAIN 23 
Letters are found in the queen's chests, 
No signature and no name of the author. 
The ruse will conceal the offers; 
so that they do not know who the lover is. 

(I don't know about you guys but I'm thinking emails.)

That's what I thought, too. 

Man, I hate Nostradamus right now. 

Nostradomus' predictions are a bit of a joke, although looking at these it's a bit odd. :P  However, I'm sure that there are a number of other instances this could be translated to refer to.  Nostradomus is sort of famous for making like a billion predictions, in such a way that saying 'Nostradomus was right!' Is sort of like saying me saying 'This flower will be red, blue, purple, or yellow."  And then someone else saying 'Magestar was right!" when it's one of those colors.  ^_^

Basically what Zathoth said.  It is sort of creepy, though, and the emails bit had me wondering. :P 

edit;  These also appear to have been ordered and taken from specific parts to get a specific message across.  I wouldn't read to much into it. :P 

Edited by Magestar

Lollercopters

Take one part overly flowery language, combine with a generous helping of "it wasn't written in our language so translators can play with it however they want".  Mix with a dash of overcredulity and serve on a plate of History Channel nonsense.

Seriously, guys, Nostradamus's "prophecies" are so pretty and vague that they can be applied to almost anything after the fact.

And the History Channel broke their last bit of credibility when they aired that ridiculous tripe about "what if mermaids are real?!"

8 minutes ago, Kobold King said:

This is one of the more unusual celebrity endorsements I've seen.

[TMZ announcer voice]

"Nostradamus has officially endorsed Donald Trump for president. The philosopher spouted several verses of opaque poetry that many have taken as both an endorsement of Trump and yet another slam against Hillary's emails. Nostradamus then swallowed a goldfish, waved his arms, and ran in circles before careening into the orchestra pit."

23 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

[TMZ announcer voice]

"Nostradamus has officially endorsed Donald Trump for president. The philosopher spouted several verses of opaque poetry that many have taken as both an endorsement of Trump and yet another slam against Hillary's emails. Nostradamus then swallowed a goldfish, waved his arms, and ran in circles before careening into the orchestra pit."

That last sentence makes literally as much sense as anything Nostradamus has ever written.

3 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

[TMZ announcer voice]

Is it bad that I read this aloud, in my Cecil voice?

Election results are not set in stone. We get to choose our leaders, so vote. Nothing is a sure thing and nothing is fated to occur here. All that matters is you and your vote :) So if you haven't done so, regardless of what candidate you like or dislike, go vote tomorrow.

I generally find fortune and prophecies like that to be inherently ambiguous. Let's be honest, if they were specific there would be a lot more math in them ;) 

46 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Election results are not set in stone. We get to choose our leaders, so vote. Nothing is a sure thing and nothing is fated to occur here. All that matters is you and your vote :) So if you haven't done so, regardless of what candidate you like or dislike, go vote tomorrow.

I generally find fortune and prophecies like that to be inherently ambiguous. Let's be honest, if they were specific there would be a lot more math in them ;) 

Now I want to see a prophesy made by you.

1 hour ago, Silverblade5 said:

One day, someone WILL figure out how to solve the quintic equation.

Proven impossible! ;) 

I don't know, I just would expect that if people were truly prophetic they would write something some deep equation on a stone tablet somewhere, like the Dirac Equation or something, or the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. "Don't worry guys it'll make sense in a few thousand years!" Vague words mean nothing. 

And if I could come up with some sweet world-defining equation, then I'm publishing it and getting the Nobel Prize. Turns out though people way, way, way smarter than me are on the case though. I'm just saying that if I could see the future, I dunno, go look at some physics textbook in a thousand years and tell us some equations, okay? None of this vague crap.