Jasnah and Wit book 3

bdoble97

It would be cool if Hoid told his story to Jasnah this book... But I think so far that has happened in the second half of the books (right?), so it happening during their travels might be too early.

2 hours ago, maxal said:

It makes sense. Hoid has Jasnah draw a Shardblade thus telling us, the readers, she has access to one. He also tells us she is an Elsecaller which wasn't previously known. His presence also indicates her returning in an important event thus settling her as an important character which was not obvious before. Also Hoid's purpose was not to travel with her, but he likely had the sense something important was to happen in this location, so he traveled there, not too sure what he'll find. There is a WoB somewhere which states how Hoid has some sort of inner sense to know where he needs to be, but I am hardly an expert on Hoid, so I'll leave others to comment on it.

What makes little sense is reading Jasnah trekking with or without Hoid back to Urithiru. We must also keep in mind Hoid has a very limited presence into SA: he isn't going to become a recurring character via Jasnah's POV. This will not happen. He will pop in and out, tell a story, just as he has been doing, but he won't become an active character, not in this series. The author has told us as much. hence I do not expect to read several chapters worth of Jasnah discussing with Hoid.

I will concede that we, the audience, find out a bit.  But Hoid still isn't necessary for it to be given to us.  Her spren, or even Jasnah herself, could have given us that.

Whats more, Hoid usually serves a purpose for the Character he meets with.  Still seems odd for him to tell people he has to leave the shattered plains, finds Jasnah, and they say/do nothing worthwhile (on thier side of the 4th wall) together.

As for several chapters.... Maybe others have said something along those lines, but I've actually been bery careful to say it may be just a bit of dialogue, or even Jasnah talking about it after the fact.  

Edited by Massik
remove qoutes

40 minutes ago, Massik said:

I will concede that we, the audience, find out a bit.  But Hoid still isn't necessary for it to be given to us.  Her spren, or even Jasnah herself, could have given us that.

Whats more, Hoid usually serves a purpose for the Character he meets with.  Still seems odd for him to tell people he has to leave the shattered plains, finds Jasnah, and they say/do nothing worthwhile (on thier side of the 4th wall) together.

As for several chapters.... Maybe others have said something along those lines, but I've actually been bery careful to say it may be just a bit of dialogue, or even Jasnah talking about it after the fact.  

Maybe Jasnah is the one character he'll tell his story too which would happen in Jasnah's first POV and then Hoid leaves. In any case, I doubt, if such scene happens, it will be a very long one. This being said, I do think Jasnah's return is more powerful because Hoid is in it, so removing him would dilute the scene, IMHO.

11 hours ago, maxal said:

Maybe Jasnah is the one character he'll tell his story too which would happen in Jasnah's first POV and then Hoid leaves. In any case, I doubt, if such scene happens, it will be a very long one. This being said, I do think Jasnah's return is more powerful because Hoid is in it, so removing him would dilute the scene, IMHO.

If Hoid does tell Jasnah  his story could she be some how eventually end up in Hoid own book some day. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2016 at 6:55 PM, Eki said:

I really hope we do get at least one scene, especially from Jasnah's perspective. But I don't think it will be a big, stretched out thing.

It's possible that we won't hear from them until they arrive, though. I think at least Jasnah will share what she knows - she is a scholar after all, and she doesn't have to hide being a KR.

She doesn't have to hide being a KR anymore, but... I get the sense the Elsecallers were a secretive order and I think it would be to Jasnah's advantage to stay in the shadows. Her enemies think she's dead and even if people discover she's alive, it is still to her advantage to keep her powers a secret.

2 minutes ago, thejopen27 said:

She doesn't have to hide being a KR anymore, but... I get the sense the Elsecallers were a secretive order and I think it would be to Jasnah's advantage to stay in the shadows. Her enemies think she's dead and even if people discover she's alive, it is still to her advantage to keep her powers a secret.

If her main enemies are the Ghostbloods, they would probably figure out what was going on as soon as they realized she was still alive. But I mostly meant that she would share her knowledge with Dalinar and the others. She hid being a Knight from them too.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Hoid knows more about the Rosharan Cognitive Realms. He isn't a Surgebinder and not a soulcaster either. Could he get as much information from Sprens as Jasnah did ? Hoid is very knowledgeable with regards to the realmatic theory and probably magic systems and general Cosmere stuff, but he is not all-knowing.

I suspect some information Jasnah received will need to be explained/extrapolated by Hoid. So I believe we will have some interaction between both. But as mentioned, that could be related when Jasnah meet other KR and explain their discovery (after all, so far, what Jasnah learned is useless because Urithiru has already been found, but she could have more which she doesn't understand yet)

24 minutes ago, Demiandre said:

I don't think Hoid knows more about the Rosharan Cognitive Realms. He isn't a Surgebinder and not a soulcaster either. Could he get as much information from Sprens as Jasnah did ? Hoid is very knowledgeable with regards to the realmatic theory and probably magic systems and general Cosmere stuff, but he is not all-knowing.

Worldhopping is generally done through the Cognitive Realm, so Hoid has spent quite a lot of time there. I do think the spren would be more friendly towards an Elsecaller though (despite the Recreance), so Jasnah probably has an easier time with them. Not to mention her information from them is more recent.

1 hour ago, Eki said:

Worldhopping is generally done through the Cognitive Realm, so Hoid has spent quite a lot of time there. I do think the spren would be more friendly towards an Elsecaller though (despite the Recreance), so Jasnah probably has an easier time with them. Not to mention her information from them is more recent.

To travel and have knowledge is not the same. Hoid as a worldhopper knows about the Cognitive Realm, but the specificities of the Realm here might not be known. There are different Expanses. Would he know how and where to go meet the Cryptics ? The Highspren ? And communicate with them ? I don't think so.

• Chaos locked this topic