Life after Brandon

Ilona_S

That wasn't much of an introductory thread, but welcome to the shard anyway, have your first upvote and a cookie!

I reccomend Traitor Son cycle, the Septimus Heap series (It's a bit childish, but it's interesting). You could also try out the Quentaris chronicles and perhaps even Dragonlance if you feel a little old-school, Sanderson himself started in fantasy with Dragonlance (I think)

I second Lightbringer. Also The King Killer Chronicles, The Lies of Locke Lamora, Dresden Files, Perdido Street Station...

If you need some horror HP Lovecraft has all his works on the internet (The color out of space being my personal favorite), whatever you can find by Thomas Ligotti and Clive Barkers Books of Blood.

Oh yes, and welcome.

For High Fantasy I would recommend The Codex Alera, which is from the same writer as The Dresden Files (Jim Butcher). If you like more nerdy and goofy stuff I would recommend the Magic 2.0 series, from Scott Meyer. It's about computer nerds who find a computer file that they can use to manipulate reality and they use it to go to medieval England to pass themselves of  as wizards.

Edit: Also, have a cookie.

Edited by kenod
cookies

Welcome to the shard 

For recommendations, I would highly recommend Robin Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings series of series (there really needs to be a word for this), starting with The Farseer Trilogy. It has a large world, interesting characters as well as a large, overall plot that runs in the background of all of the books. Plus, dragons and tree cities (any combination of those will get me every time).

Another good series is the Discworld series. It's written VERY differently to most fantasy books, and indeed most adult books in general, but it's a great series (albeit a bit confusing) with interesting characters, great dialogue and they are hilarious and quirky, both in writing and the premises. But, despite the humorous facade, they can get pretty deep.

Also, avoid all cookies and such, they are spiked and will Ruin everything (capitalised on purpose)