enslaved herrings?

Isaac

So we as of BoM we know it takes a full feruchemist to make other people feruchemist using aluminum and duralumin. With that revelation we kind of forgot about the ferrings, but even if the person is just an aluminum ferring he is still incredibly powerful. Supposedly the ferring while filling aluminum can use anyone's metalmind. 

With that in mind if an evil organization like the set get a aluminum ferring into their employ, they can round up some ferrings, imprison them, and force them to fill masterminds for the aluminum ferring. Not only can this ferring use all of the feruchelmy powers, he doesn't need to spend anytime filling them either.

An aluminum ferring cannot tap metalminds of other metals. They would only be able to tap other feruchemist's aluminum metalminds while fully storing their identity. The only instance we've seen in BoM with people tapping metalminds without possessing the appropriate feruchemical power was the nicrosilminds to gain other feruchemical powers, but it has been stated that those metalminds were different than normal to allow that to happen. [WoB]

Like shpoolofwhool said a Trueself (Alluminium Ferring) may simply trick the Metalmind's "Identity-chek" using his power...but he can't tap from a metalmind if he has not the right Feruchemical power.

As example: You have simply to see the Goldmind Wax found on a Set's agent...This Goldmind was "unkeyed" (that would simply mean "it has not the Identity-check") and every Bloodmaker may tap it (for example Wayne, Suit, Miles, Rashek, Sazed,ecc...) but you have to be able to tap Healing for your own with the right power.

A trueself may reverse the trick (and actually the "unkeyed metalminds" are created using Alluminium Feruchemy to remove Identity from the User before He store something in the metalmind) and storing all his Identity, this allow him to deal with every metalmind as if it is an unkeyed metalmind....But in the end this for a simple ferring allow him just to tap for other people's alluminiumind (not very useful). A full Feruchemist with this trick may tap every metamind in the worlds as far as we know it

There are another process (and at the moment we don't know how is made) to create "unsealed" metalmind an unsealed metalmind is an unkeyed metalmind tappable by everyone with or without the right feruchemical power....until now we see it only with the Nicrosilmind and they are in few world the whole Southern's Medallion Tech. But we don't know if this is a trick limited to Nicrosil or possible with other metals

Edited by Yata

On 22/09/2016 at 2:48 PM, Spoolofwhool said:

An aluminum ferring cannot tap metalminds of other metals. They would only be able to tap other feruchemist's aluminum metalminds while fully storing their identity. The only instance we've seen in BoM with people tapping metalminds without possessing the appropriate feruchemical power was the nicrosilminds to gain other feruchemical powers, but it has been stated that those metalminds were different than normal to allow that to happen. [WoB]

Do we actually know that storing your identity lets you tap keyed metalminds? I thought we only suspected it allowed you to unkey your own metalminds as you stored, which is part of the "unsealing" process for the nicrosilmind medallions.

Edited by Ari
typo corrected

Just now, Ari said:

Do we actually know that storing your identity lets you tap keyed metalminds? I thought we only suspected it allowed you to unkey your own metalminds as you stored, which is part of the "unsealing" process for the nicrosilmind medallions.

Good point. Looking at the chapter 3 synopsis of BoM on Coppermind, it seems they did talk about a Trueself ferring divesting him/herself of all identity in order to access a keyed metalmind. I don't have an actual copy of the book to confirm the exact passage though. 

I have the relevant excerpt here:

“After a fashion,” VenDell said, changing the image to one of a Feruchemist tapping strength. The woman’s muscles had grown to several times their normal size as she lifted a horse above her head. “Each man or woman has a Spiritual aspect, a piece of themselves that exists in another Realm entirely. You might call it your soul. Your Investiture is keyed to your soul—indeed, it might be a part of your soul, much as your blood is a part of your body.”

“So if a person could store their Identity,” Marasi said, “as Waxillium does with his weight…”

“They’d be without it for a time,” VenDell said. “A blank slate, so to speak.”

“So they could use anyone’s metalmind?” Marasi asked.

“Possibly,” VenDell said. He cycled through pictures of several more Feruchemists using their abilities before coming to rest on an image of a set of bracers. Simple metal bands, like wide bracelets, meant to be worn on the upper arms beneath clothing. It was impossible to tell the type of metal without color, but they had ancient Terris markings engraved on them.

“Some have been experimenting with your idea,” VenDell said, “and early results are promising. However, having a Feruchemist who can use anyone’s metalminds is intriguing, but not particularly lifechanging. Our society is strewn with individuals who have extraordinary abilities—this would simply be one more variety. No, what interests me is the opposite, Miss Colms. What if a Feruchemist were to divest himself of all Identity, then fill another metalmind with an attribute. Say, strength. What would it do?

It seems you are correct that nothing has been confirmed, but the fact that VenDell thinks it's a possibility after experimentation seems to imply that it is indeed possible for an identityless TrueSelf to access a keyed metalmind.

@Spoolofwhool thanks for the reference. this part is interesting:

“So they could use anyone’s metalmind?” Marasi asked.

“Possibly,” VenDell said. He cycled through pictures of several more Feruchemists using their abilities before coming to rest on an image of a set of bracers. Simple metal bands, like wide bracelets, meant to be worn on the upper arms beneath clothing. It was impossible to tell the type of metal without color, but they had ancient Terris markings engraved on them.

“Some have been experimenting with your idea,” VenDell said, “and early results are promising. 

This made me think in W&W's era someone is doing the only experiment possible with Identity and only Misting-Ferring-Twinborn. Using a Trueself to access on another Trueself's Metamind.

The "early results are promising" may mean only two things:

- The Trueself was capable of actually tapping another Trueself's Metalmind.

- The Trueself was capable of feeling the Alluminiumind charge without any "unreachable amount of power" but he/she can't tap it because it's impossible to stap and store with the same power at the same time (something we don't know yet).

Both of them point to "An Identityless being may bypass Intentity-bound mechanism"

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2016 at 6:58 PM, Isaac said:

Ummm any moderators able to help fix the title, I didn't notice what autocorrect did until after I posted it. Please help.

I for one like the current title :P

It was what made me pull up this thread. Although this might just all be a red herring. :P

Also, another thing you might want to edit is that you wrote "mastermind" instead of "metalmind."

More on topic though, I think the theory is likely correct.

• Chaos locked this topic