Why does Nightblood drain investiture?

CosmereQuestioner

23 hours ago, shadowwisp said:

We know that Nightblood can drain any type of investiture

Reference? Also, how would you use Hemalurgy to power it?

Spoiler

What about turbo-charging zim with Nicrosil Feruchemy?

1 hour ago, Turbonator said:

Hey, for all people know, I was just discussing what would happen if that situation should arise:ph34r:. But fine.

Which is precisely the problem, because they may not know, so for all those who do not know, you could be spoiling the plot, which is why you use spoilers.

14 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Which is precisely the problem, because they may not know, so for all those who do not know, you could be spoiling the plot, which is why you use spoilers.

Bah. I give up. I know what spoilers are for.

This is not worth arguing over, so let's just leave it at that, if you don't mind.

As a side note, I'm not trying to sound mean or whatever, but computers aren't exactly good at conveying tone of voice.

Edited by Turbonator

14 hours ago, The True Survivor said:

Reference? Also, how would you use Hemalurgy to power it?

Hemalurgy isn't Investiture.  The Investiture (part of the spirit-web of a person) that's been stapled on by Hemalurgy would be just as easily drained by Nightblood as your regular spirit-web.

jW

47 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Hemalurgy isn't Investiture.  The Investiture (part of the spirit-web of a person) that's been stapled on by Hemalurgy would be just as easily drained by Nightblood as your regular spirit-web.

jW

So if Nightblood's wielder has been meddling with Hemalurgy, would he drain the spikes first?

12 hours ago, Turbonator said:

So if Nightblood's wielder has been meddling with Hemalurgy, would he drain the spikes first?

That's my guess, but I don't know if that's been confirmed. Since spikes can be reused, though with power loss, the Investiture they ripped from the original victim's spiritweb must remain in the spike, or something tying it to that, so I'd have to assume Nightblood would use that before the wielder's spiritweb.

jW

On 04/10/2016 at 3:36 PM, Jondesu said:

That's my guess, but I don't know if that's been confirmed. Since spikes can be reused, though with power loss, the Investiture they ripped from the original victim's spiritweb must remain in the spike, or something tying it to that, so I'd have to assume Nightblood would use that before the wielder's spiritweb.

jW

How about those corrupted Breaths? I just thought of this. (MB era1 splrs)

Spoiler

What if you used Nightblood as the spike :/

Edited by Darkness Ascendant

3 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

How about those corrupted Breaths? I just thought of this. What if you used Nightblood as the spike :/

I believe you may have stumbled upon something that is every evil genius' dream.

7 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

O_o I have the power

Now I have to find a way to take that from you with Hemalurgy.

@Darkness Ascendant it may not be possible due to the fact that Nightblood kills people's souls (I think).

Edited by The True Survivor
Removing double post

5 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

How about those corrupted Breaths? I just thought of this. What if you used Nightblood as the spike :/

Considering Nightblood would vaporize them, and he's chock full of Investiture already, I think it's safe to say you couldn't use him as a spike. 

jW

Actually, you can use Nightblood or a shardblade as a spike, the spiked Investiture just doesn't stick to them since they are already so Investiture dense. There is WoB about this, but I have to get ready for work soon, and I don't want to get stuck in Theoryland looking for it. Think of it like a metalmind, you can't fill a metalmind past a certain point, and sharblades and NB meet that point, or are very close to it.

On 10/4/2016 at 2:22 PM, Djarskublar said:

Actually, you can use Nightblood or a shardblade as a spike, the spiked Investiture just doesn't stick to them since they are already so Investiture dense. There is WoB about this, but I have to get ready for work soon, and I don't want to get stuck in Theoryland looking for it. Think of it like a metalmind, you can't fill a metalmind past a certain point, and sharblades and NB meet that point, or are very close to it.

Here.

Spoiler

Herowannabe

My friend and I asked him something like this at a book signing, but for some reason it never seemed to make it onto 17th Shard. We asked if a shardblade or Nightblood could be used as a hemalurgic spike (i.e.: two different investitures of magic). Brandon said that yes, in theory you could do that, but objects have a limit to how much investiture they can hold, and that it could be argued that things like Nightblood and Shardblades are already "full."

Edited by The One Who Connects
Spoiler Tag

Dang people. Mistborn isn't Warbreaker. You are supposed to be spoiler tagging Hemalurgy. Keep in mind that people reading Mistborn Era 1 for the first tiume have no idea what it is until Brandon reveals it, so even seemingly innocuous references can actually be significant spoilers to new readers.

Edited by Argel

On 10/4/2016 at 3:22 PM, Djarskublar said:

On 10/4/2016 at 4:57 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Here.

Spoilers guys, please, as Argel said.

• Chaos locked this topic