Ender's Saga/Shadow books

Xander Freud

To whomever has read the two series (I highly recommend it, I believe Card has created a world just as thrilling and ensnaring as Sanderson) I would love to here your thoughts. Also, any books with notable magic systems and or sci-fi themes would be amazing. 

Edited by Xander Freud

I really loved the enders saga books, he was able to slowly build your knowledge of the universe without overwhelming you (if you had an open mind) to the point where you got to the books about being able to leave this reality with whole different rules, and jane being able to do the things she could. It was an amazing feeling and idea. I especially loved his characters, you learned to love them because you knew they made mistakes and acted like real people to you.

Lets open this to also allow pathfinder/ruins series, because RIgg is super awesome

The first book from those series was Ender's Shadow. It was weird to later read Ender's Game, after seeing the story from Bean's perspective. I always thought that Bean was much more interesting and cooler character than Ender. Probably that's why I enjoyed the whole Shadow series much more than the sequels Ender had. 

When reading Bean's books I could really see and feel that this guy really is super intelligent. When reading about Ender was... well, he seemed like a smart kid, but nothing more than that. The best part about Ender's books was his relationship with Jane (if I recall correctly, the AI born from the Game in his school). I wish I could read more about her :)

2 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

@Darkness Ascendant If you're interested in seeing a really smart kid (smarter than Ender) making his way through the Battle School (or whatever is was called), you should give Ender's Shadow a try. I wouldn't bother with books that follow Ender if you didn't really enjoy his character.

I might give ender's shadow a try.

Ender did seem a bit...eh, though towards the end of Ender's game it did get a bit better and interesting

I read the original Ender's Game series, and then Ender's Shadow as well.  I just found out about the prequels, though: Earth Unaware is the first one.  I read that and I'm trying to get a copy of Earth Afire from one of the libraries near me.  Those are really good so far too.  They're about the First Formic War, which we knew hardly anything about from the original books.

jW

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2016 at 5:01 AM, Darkness Ascendant said:

I might give ender's shadow a try.

Ender did seem a bit...eh, though towards the end of Ender's game it did get a bit better and interesting

the follow up books after Ender's Game are actually pretty different from Ender's Game itself in a lot of ways.  If you can get it from the library, or borrow from a friend, maybe give Speaker for the Dead a chance.  if that doesn't do it for you, then I don't know that the rest will.

On 9/23/2016 at 4:06 PM, AliasSheep said:

I'm one of those people whose favourite of the series is Xenocide.  The ending was just... 

obligatory: https://xkcd.com/304/

On 9/23/2016 at 4:06 PM, AliasSheep said:

I'm one of those people whose favourite of the series is Xenocide.  The ending was just... 

Xenocide was amazing.  However, better than Ender's Game itself?  Umm, nope.  Better than Speaker for the Dead I can agree with, though.

jW

Edited by Jondesu