Brandon has ruined my ability to read

Megan

Okay so I first picked up the way of kings when I was eleven, I hadn't been reading any of Brandons other books, and really didn't read that much at all at the time, so after reading that my standards where way to high and it is actually very hard for me to find a book that I'm not bored with and I'm really picking about my books to, and now I'm fourteen and everyone my age is reading some pretty crapy books and I'm just over here with my book that you have to read between the lines and then read in between those lines because there is just so much epicness and mysteriousness that you need to find the answers to it so that's why you're reading it for the 17th time.

So what I'm saying have any all you shards have trouble finding books that are not up to your standards of epicness? Do you find your self annoyed at people in there little of epic in there books? And how they don't get how your book is far superior then there's is?

Edited by Megan

Of course you're going to find books that are not up to your standard of being good. I read a ton of books, and have found plenty which are very poor, not just compared to incredible pieces such as SA, but also to average ones. My issue is that I'll get bored in certain situations so I'll read anyways. Also, what helps me finish books that I don't find good is that I create a self-imposed rule that I will always finish a book I start reading, even if I find it to be bad, unless it is actually so bad I feel pained reading it. This is the only exception along with the possibility of me losing access to the book. What helps, I find, in my case is that I have a very strong curiosity. Once I get far enough into a book, I will want to finish, no matter how bad I realize it becomes or has always been, just to know how it ends. However, it is true that I am discerning while looking for books. At the same time though, I recognize that I'm probably not going to find anything interesting so I just grab books which seem mildly interesting. I do get surprised when some of the books turn out well better than expected.

Bad books are also really useful. After I read one, I like to take a moment in my spare time to reflect on why I found it so bad. Usually the answer is simple like "It was just a boring cliche plot," but sometimes it takes me a bit to fully articulate to myself why it was bad.

For your last questions, I can't really say anything. I don't usually talk to people about the books I read. Also, I don't think impressing your opinion of a book you like being superior to their book as being useful at all. Every has their tastes and not everyone finds SA to their liking. You can't force someone to like a book any more than you can force them to like a specific song.

Overall, sounds like your standards are way too high. Maybe I just don't take books as seriously or aren't as discerning as you, but it sounds like you need to take a step back. If I may suggest some books you may be interested in as lesser to SA, but still good: The Culture novels by Iain M Banks are interesting. While they are not layers within layers stories like SA, they present fairly abstract images. They are a sci-fi, so perhaps the shift in genre would not be for you. Player of Games is a good start I'd say. If you want any more recommendations, feel free to ask.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

I have to agree that it's harder to find a good book after you read a enough of Brandon's books, and that it's annoying to hear people say that they stopped reading the book because the beginning was boring, always make me just wanna scream on them "but if you'll read it to the end it's such a good book!!!!!!"

Actually I was already quite critical about my reading. And Brandon just upgrade my critical side.

But I made a distinction about what the book wants to be. A light reading may be good also if you start it with the right mind set.

Not very many authors have been able to write the way I would enjoy, I find I can still mostly like what's going on. Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series, or the first Percy Jackson ones, for instance, are fun stories and above average writing, although they're not as involved or truly epic as Sanderson's are. In addition, although you and I know that these books are truly awesome, some people just don't like epic fantasies. My little brother picked up right away on the Sanderson bug, but my sister barely finished WoK and was about halfway into WoR before she stopped. She says she wants to continue, but she's a slower reader than my brother and I, and she likes to have a lot of things going on, so... I have a few friends who have done similar things. I'm sad and disappointed, but more for me, I guess. Although Sanderson books aren't really a finite resource - it benefits everybody to love them so you can borrow and discuss and love together. 

All over, I find myself reading other books that aren't quite what I would wish for because (1) I ran out of things to read, (2), they're "classics" or required for a class or something, or (3), my friends are reading them and want me to. We all love sharing the Sanderson light, so sometimes I'll make little deals like "I'll read this series if you'll at least try [insert Sanderson book that they would like here]." It works more often than you would expect, and I occasionally get an interesting new little fandom to play with.

The thing is to be positive. There are a bunch of pretty great books out there. Perhaps you could try some in a totally different genre, like Horatio Hornblower or Nancy Drew or the Princess Bride (heartily recommended, by the way.) I love reading and would hate to stop just because some books are better than others. Hasn't life always been this way?

I see what the problem is, I had a similar one for a while after marathoning all of Sanderson for the first time. I realized I just had to stop reading Sanderson for a while; in time, the feeling of other works' inadequacy will fade ;)

Really, I don't always look for epicness in books; there are some fascinating reads that don't really have that epic feeling, yet are very satisfying. And I also don't often look for great quality. I'm an avid reader of Horus Heresy novels, and even the most rabid fan will tell you that it's mostly airport novel-level fare (it is epic though - the first battle scene of the series has an advancing line of supersoldiers two miles long...). You have to lower your standards a bit; not everything you'll read will be excellent and epic, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. Likewise, there are people who don't like the scope of epic books, preferring smaller, self-contained narratives. To each their own.

It also helps if, as Brightness Enna said, you switch genres or writing styles a bit, so that you won't find yourself comparing stuff to what you've read previously. For recommendations, have you perhaps read A Bridge of Birds and its sequels? Writing style is very different from Sanderson's - far more poetic, for one - but all three novels are excellent. 

I like shorter reads sometimes. I just finished The Ocean at the end of the lane and I loved it. Its around 240 pages.

Simpler things are great sometimes, Dresden Files are as good as anything Brandon has written, they dont even take a week to read. I like short horror fiction as much as I like fantasy (Teatro Grotesco, but Thomas Ligotti, pick it up, that goes for all of you).

Not to say epics are not great. Read Kingkiller Chronicles if you havent, or Perdido Street Station, or House of Leaves.

My favorite book used to be LotR, but then I read Mistborn. While Two Towers will always hold a special place in my heart, I can't get over the slow pacing compared to WoA. I know what you're going through, but if you ease yourself in with gradually less and less Sanderson-esque books, you'll get there.

As for your second point, I have developed a system that has hooked every person I've gotten to enter it. You recommend Mistborn, then as they slowly lose their minds, you drop a few seedlings to encourage reading between the lines. By the time they're at HoA, they'll start to notice a few strange things, which is awesome. After that, you get them to read Stormlight, then AoL Era, then Elantris, Warbreaker, and the short stories. Finally, introduce them to Reckoners and Legion, but make sure they understand that its not Cosmere. Then boom, you have your own personal Sharder minion who you can rant to about the cuteness of Syl and the awesomeness of Vin.

On 8/30/2016 at 11:35 PM, Megan said:

Do you find your self annoyed at people in there little of epic in there books? And how they don't get how your book is far superior then there's is?

I want to give you a word of caution about thinking this way. It feels nice to think that you've got something figured out better than most people around you, but it's not healthy. It will help you get along better with others* and grow more as a person if you try to understand why other people find value in things that you don't. Just because you don't see value in the books others are reading doesn't mean there isn't any. Other people may have seen something of value in these books you haven't seen yet. Don't trust your own perspective so much that you get annoyed at people who don't share it. Very few people, if any, ever have something totally figured out.

*seriously, telling people "Your thing sucks, you should like my thing instead" (or even just having that attitude) will not endear you to anyone. Enthusiasm, on the other hand, is fun and contagious. You'll convert more people by telling them what you love about the books than by trying to convince them their taste in books is wrong.

Try reading short stories. That way if you hit something you don't like, just move on to the next one, and you'll end up finding authors you never would have otherwise that you enjoy. If you want a recommendation George RR Martin puts together all kinds of short story anthologies with a lot of great authors featured, including Sanderson.

If you want something close to Sanderson, I'll let you know that my brother claims that Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles is close enough. I need to get some time to read and confirm.

If you enjoy Brandon's ability to tie things up and make sense, you are probably enjoying the logic. I would advise you to read some of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I really enjoyed Holmes' use of logic. There are lots of short stories and a few novels.

Once a book called Three Bags Full caught my eye and I really enjoyed reading it. It was a translated book about sentient sheep trying to solve a murder in a small village. The subtle ways that the author showed the sheep' POV and their misunderstanding of things was well done and very humorous. I mentioned this book because I want you to know that you should keep your eyes open because you don't know what you will find.

Edited by Eccentric Hero

5 hours ago, Cartographer7 said:

I want to give you a word of caution about thinking this way. It feels nice to think that you've got something figured out better than most people around you, but it's not healthy. It will help you get along better with others* and grow more as a person if you try to understand why other people find value in things that you don't. Just because you don't see value in the books others are reading doesn't mean there isn't any. Other people may have seen something of value in these books you haven't seen yet. Don't trust your own perspective so much that you get annoyed at people who don't share it. Very few people, if any, ever have something totally figured out.

*seriously, telling people "Your thing sucks, you should like my thing instead" (or even just having that attitude) will not endear you to anyone. Enthusiasm, on the other hand, is fun and contagious. You'll convert more people by telling them what you love about the books than by trying to convince them their taste in books is wrong.

I think that you mistake what I was saying, I was just joking, I looked at what I had said and I realize that it didn't sound like one (it was really late at night and I was tired) so I get why you thought I was serious, but don't worry!!! I can assure you that I don't actually say that stuff to people!!! I just say like "hey this is a really good book you should read it!" Or "this is my favorite book!" But trust me I'm not has mean has you thought! Don't worry;) I was just trying to say more that Brandon has made me more picky and it's just a little harder to find a book, I just said it very poorly, and tried to make jokes when my humor was none existent (what happens when you go on two camping trip in a row and it feels like it's zero degrees outside and your in a tent, and when you made the post at like midnight, very stupid idea)

Edited by Megan

14 hours ago, Megan said:

I think that you mistake what I was saying, I was just joking, I looked at what I had said and I realize that it didn't sound like one (it was really late at night and I was tired) so I get why you thought I was serious, but don't worry!!! I can assure you that I don't actually say that stuff to people!!! I just say like "hey this is a really good book you should read it!" Or "this is my favorite book!" But trust me I'm not has mean has you thought! Don't worry;) I was just trying to say more that Brandon has made me more picky and it's just a little harder to find a book, I just said it very poorly, and tried to make jokes when my humor was none existent (what happens when you go on two camping trip in a row and it feels like it's zero degrees outside and your in a tent, and when you made the post at like midnight, very stupid idea)

Ah, OK, fair enough! Misunderstanding corrected :)

On 9/6/2016 at 3:33 PM, Eccentric Hero said:

If you enjoy Brandon's ability to tie things up and make sense, you are probably enjoying the logic. I would advise you to read some of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I really enjoyed Holmes' use of logic. There are lots of short stories and a few novels.

Yes, as long as you're reading for logic and not for character development.

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 10:33 PM, Eccentric Hero said:

If you want something close to Sanderson, I'll let you know that my brother claims that Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles is close enough. I need to get some time to read and confirm.

I can confirm this.  I've seen people complain that each book in that series doesn't have an arc as such, but that fits with the concept of the trilogy (a story dictated over 3 days, one book covering each day over which the story is told) so I don't mind it at all.  The writing is amazing, and there is a lot that is not known but hinted at, and other realms, and... basically a lot of the abstract things that make Brandon's stories so awesome, but with a completely different kind of story and writing style.  Also, the fact that he is writing the dictation of the story by one of the characters in that story sets up some interesting questions of perception/memory vs. reality...

Anyway, I can also recommend most things by Stephen Donaldson. Though there are some rather dark adult themes in some of his stuff, I first picked up The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant at about your age and don't think I've suffered.  The hallmark of Donaldson Fantasy is damaged people from our world being drawn into a fantasy world that fundamentally confronts their damage, and it lives up to the character development that promises.

• Mordant's Need is his shortest work, a two book fantasy epic about a woman who regularly feels like she doesn't really exist, and magic revolving entirely around mirrors.
  • The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant are a trilogy of trilogies, each trilogy being an epic self-contained story. The main character is a Leper, and the magic of the world revolves around the dual concept of vitality through natural order, and chaos.

He has also done possibly the most amazing space opera I've come across, a 5 book series called The Gap Series.  The first book, by far the smallest, took the longest to read for both me and my Dad, as it is in a bizarre style, but... That series broke me and rebuilt me at least twice.  I have always seen this as a good thing, but it is still something to bear in mind before you decide to try it.

I can't vouch for Donaldson's real-world series, but it's called "The Man Who..." series.  Maybe more adult even than his other works, as I believe the man in question is a clinically depressed alcoholic...

On 9/8/2016 at 3:14 AM, Krandacth said:

He has also done possibly the most amazing space opera I've come across, a 5 book series called The Gap Series.  The first book, by far the smallest, took the longest to read for both me and my Dad, as it is in a bizarre style, but... That series broke me and rebuilt me at least twice.  I have always seen this as a good thing, but it is still something to bear in mind before you decide to try it.

YESSSS The Gap is SO GOOD. It's brutal, especially in the first two books, but it's also the only series I've ever read that a) every book is significantly better than the last and b ) the first book is very good to begin with.

Also, @Megan if you want a true challenge (and something that absolutely forces you to read between the lines), try Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. It's the only thing I've read that actually gave me that feeling of "everything else is inferior" and it took BoM/Secret History coming out to snap me out of it. Wolfe is lightyears better than anyone else I've read, in terms of his mastery of prose. (And yes, that includes Rothfuss, who's solidly in second place.)

On 9/6/2016 at 2:33 PM, Eccentric Hero said:

I'd say the prose in Kingkiller Chronicles is actually superior, but I prefer Brandon's plot-writing ability.

6 hours ago, PallonianFire said:

YESSSS The Gap is SO GOOD. It's brutal, especially in the first two books, but it's also the only series I've ever read that a) every book is significantly better than the last and b ) the first book is very good to begin with.

Also, @Megan if you want a true challenge (and something that absolutely forces you to read between the lines), try Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. It's the only thing I've read that actually gave me that feeling of "everything else is inferior" and it took BoM/Secret History coming out to snap me out of it. Wolfe is lightyears better than anyone else I've read, in terms of his mastery of prose. (And yes, that includes Rothfuss, who's solidly in second place.)

Whoa so where does Sanderson come in your ranking?

10 hours ago, Eccentric Hero said:

Whoa so where does Sanderson come in your ranking?

As far as prose goes? Surprisingly far down the list. Definitely above average, but not on the same level as people like Stover, Rothfuss, Donaldson, etc. Brandon's worldbuilding and plotting are his strengths, and he's up there with the best of them in those categories.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen will fill that void inside you. It will fill it so well, it will even replace Sanderson in your heart. Yes, do not try to resist, even if what I just said is pure heresy. The only thing that Sanderson does better than Erikson is the use of magic. But that's okay, because magic is not the point of Malazan. Otherwise, if plots, characters, epicness™, meta plots, ancient lore buried beneath 3 layers are what you crave, MBotF is made for you.

Well, there is just one condition to enjoy all that : you have to survive your first read of Garden of The Moon, which is not easy for everyone. The first book of the series was written 10 years before the rest, and was written as a movie pitch.

I actually need to throw a bone to Raymond E Fiest here. His worlds and settings aren't as complete as Sanderson's but the overall picture is right up there. His character  development is less forced as well but his plots are excellent and interconnect the series albeit not so subtly.

Back to the original questions I don't struggle finding Epicness, I do struggle to find enjoyableness. I don't care so much about setting, characters, or even the worlds I am focused on the underlying plot. and honestly some "epic" books don't have enjoyable plots. what i find most enjoyable are the threads that beg to be pulled but don't have anything to do with the main direction on the book (Here's looking at the Cosmere!)  As yes i do get annoyed at over confident characters that think their world is the best but have no idea what is truly out there, Actually while i enjoyed the books Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever is  at the top of this list, though he does evolve in the latter series to the point he understands it is not all about him.

Don't judge me for giving characters lives beyond their pages.

• 3 weeks later...

Sanderson is one of my favorite authors, but there are others just as good if not better:

Ken Liu-Grace of Kings and now Wall of Storms just released

Marc Turner- chronicle of the exile series

Joe Abercrombie- First law

Brian Durfee- Forgetting moon (first of five) released last month, but one of the best opening to a series I have ever read

Steven Erikson- Malazan (Gardens of the moon is kind of weak though, but deadhouse gates and beyond are excellent)

Edited by Ammanas