How to forum?

Jofwu

I got into Mistborn a little over two years ago, after a Wheel of Time reread, and then wandered over to Stormlight before discovering the Cosmere. I've been hanging around the forums because there's not enough discussion on Reddit to feed my appetite lately. Plus I want to stay on top of news and the theories that are getting kicked around, especially as Stormlight 3 comes along.

I'm not particularly savvy with traditional internet forums like this. Anybody have some tips on how to forum like a pro? How do I make the most of this website?

Well, I'm not a frequenter of forums myself, but one tool here that I've gotten a lot of use out of is the Unread Content page. It's the button to the left of the search bar. It'll show you any unread content (new topics, or new posts in existing topics) that was posted recently. There are a couple of other common filters; here's one that limits to topics you've posted in. I made a custom view to filter out the forums I'm not interested in (sorry, Reckoners!), so anything that comes up in my feed is something I'd consider relevant to Cosmere discussion. (I think I can link to it as an example: here it is. If the link doesn't work, it's as I said above - I'm not a pro!)

4 minutes ago, RYANHOME said:

IDK but it's a great question I'm very interested in the advice some of the veteran Sharders like @WeiryWriter @Argent @FeatherWriter @Stormgate @Pathfinder

Ha, @Stormgate and @Pathfinder, are barely one and two years old! *scoffs* Nothing like the true veterans here, (officially) clocking in at almost five.

Seriously though, you are lovely human (presumably) beings <3

On topic now. @jofwu, I don't know if you can forum like a pro. I don't think that's something you can qualify as pro-worthy. There are neat things you can do - format your posts to the extent the forums allows you to (i.e. use all the tags, and use them well), try to source things you are talking about (theories, WoBs, etc.), contribute by posting about new content (but try not to beat me to posting the cool stuff, I like the fame). 

Outside of those things, I will energetically second @Pagerunner's recommendation of the Unread Content. It is virtually the only way I enter the site these days, and it is all sorts of useful for saving time. 

Was this the kind of stuff you were looking for?

Ooh, veteran Sharder status. Shiny. That said, as a mod, I probably ought to spend a little more time perusing the forums than I do. Heh, it gets easy to get distracted away towards other things, for me. Speaking of, one of the best ways is to follow the basic rules, like avoiding double posting and thread necromancy. Those two are the easiest for people unfamiliar with forums to be tripped up by, I think. Much easier to seem like a pro if you don't have the mods coming in to remind you on etiquette.

As for forum tricks, I've got my settings rigged so that any topic I respond in is automatically followed. I get dinged with notifications if anyone responds, whether they quoted and mentioned me or not. If I become disinterested in an active topic that I responded to a long time ago, I'll just unfollow it.

Another thing is I try to periodically search for "Feather" or "FeatherWriter" just to make sure I catch if people are talking about me. With the new @ system, this is less necessary, since most people will just drop a mention and send that notif to let you know.

I also tend to try to keep on top of discussions involving my... areas of particular interest. Which is to say, every now and then when I get bored I'll site-search "Renarin" or something like that and see what people are saying.

Finally the most important way to be a forum pro is to love Renarin and Steris Harms and protect them from all harm and sl

*coughs* Ahem. Anyway.

Thems my advice!

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

Well, I'm not a frequenter of forums myself, but one tool here that I've gotten a lot of use out of is the Unread Content page. It's the button to the left of the search bar. It'll show you any unread content (new topics, or new posts in existing topics) that was posted recently. There are a couple of other common filters; here's one that limits to topics you've posted in. I made a custom view to filter out the forums I'm not interested in (sorry, Reckoners!), so anything that comes up in my feed is something I'd consider relevant to Cosmere discussion. (I think I can link to it as an example: here it is. If the link doesn't work, it's as I said above - I'm not a pro!)

This is all super helpful, thank you! The Cosmere filter you made does work for me. In fact it names you as the one who made it and tells me how to save it for my own use. :)

@Argent That is helpful, thanks.

51 minutes ago, FeatherWriter said:

I've got my settings rigged so that any topic I respond in is automatically followed.

How do you do this?

Ah, so I found the settings @FeatherWriter was talking about. It's under Notifiation Settings, shown when you click the notifications icon once.

It seems that you can tweak the "activity filters" and optionally save them as a "stream". You can change your default stream so the "unread content" button opens up that custom stream instead of the generic unread content. But I have a question... How do you see the streams that you've saved? I can only see the default.

@FeatherWriter Not sure who to report this to... I feel like there's an error with the forum. Or maybe it's set up this way intentionally, I dunno. :) I was playing around on another forum that uses the same software and found some options that are missing here.

When you open up "Unread Content" here you have a lot of filters you can apply to narrow down content. If you make changes to these, a button appears asking if you want to "save as new stream". You then also have the option of making this new stream your "default", which replaces the functionality of the "Unread Content" button. And you can name the stream. But there is no way to access other saved streams aside from your default. So I got on this other forum and it turns out they have some additional options at the top of the page, right under the main tabs. There's a dropdown menu titled "my activity streams" which lets you access any that you've created.

This functionality sounds awesome... It would be nice to set up different streams for different series for example. And the fact that this forum lets you create streams but not access them afterwards seems broken. Any chance we can have access to these options? Who should the request be sent to?

On 8/31/2016 at 7:45 AM, jofwu said:

@FeatherWriter Not sure who to report this to... I feel like there's an error with the forum. Or maybe it's set up this way intentionally, I dunno. :) I was playing around on another forum that uses the same software and found some options that are missing here.

When you open up "Unread Content" here you have a lot of filters you can apply to narrow down content. If you make changes to these, a button appears asking if you want to "save as new stream". You then also have the option of making this new stream your "default", which replaces the functionality of the "Unread Content" button. And you can name the stream. But there is no way to access other saved streams aside from your default. So I got on this other forum and it turns out they have some additional options at the top of the page, right under the main tabs. There's a dropdown menu titled "my activity streams" which lets you access any that you've created.

This functionality sounds awesome... It would be nice to set up different streams for different series for example. And the fact that this forum lets you create streams but not access them afterwards seems broken. Any chance we can have access to these options? Who should the request be sent to?

This sounds like a topic to bring up in the Site Discussion board, actually.

I'll admit, I don't do any of the coding or functionality stuff, but if I had to guess, I believe this forum software stuff is very highly customizable. Functionality like that might be custom code that that forum added to their site, rather than a setting that could just be toggled on.

But again, I have no idea what I'm talking about here. @Chaos or one of the other admins would be the one to talk with. You can always suggest site functionality things to inspire them. They may or may not try to figure out a way to make it work!

On 31.08.2016 at 2:45 PM, jofwu said:

I think it may be relevant: