Wax & Wayne 4 theme

Mason Wheeler

Has anyone else noticed how the villain keeps moving closer to Wax with every passing book, and keeps trying to destroy Elendel?

The Alloy of Law introduced our characters, and the Set's plot.  The main antagonist was a person with a weak connection to Wax--a lawman that had worked with him in the past--who believed that Elendel was corrupt and wanted to bring it down.

Shadows of Self featured a villain with a much stronger connection to Wax: the villain turned out to be

Spoiler

his wife

though kind of under false pretenses, and she believed that Harmony was corrupt and wanted to bring him down, by fomenting chaos in Elendel.

The Bands of Mourning continues the trend.  The villain is Suit, a blood relative of Wax, who believes that their society is corrupt and is working to foment a civil war that will bring Ruin upon Elendel.

With the way that The Bands of Mourning ends, there's really only one way that W&W 4 can play out:

Spoiler

The villain is someone closer still, Wax's own sister, and she's working with Trell, believing society to be corrupt and using her influence to destroy all of civilization.

I think Elendel is finally going to be destroyed, or at least Ruined to a great degree, in book 4.

I think we're finally going to see someone with the full set of Allomantic powers.  (The series is called Mistborn, afterall.)  With the revelations at the end of The Bands of Mourning, I'm expecting Kelsier to put in an appearance, but I'd also definitely expect to see another Mistborn, one we don't already know.  (My personal theory is that there's one in Elendel already.  Some people hide their Allomantic powers by pretending to be just an ordinary citizen.  This person is hiding their Mistborn powers in plain sight, by pretending to be a simple Misting.)

The really interesting part is the medallion Hoid gave to Wax.  According to WoB, Hoid and Kelsier hate each other, to the point that bringing the two of them together would result in "murdering".  So why would Hoid give Wax a medallion that gives him specific information about Kelsier?  At first glance, there's really only one answer that makes sense: he knows Kelsier's about to show up on the scene again, and wants to position Wax to sabotage/interfere with him in some way.

But that just raises more questions, because Hoid generally seems to have intentions that are ultimately benevolent, and Kelsier has a strong Connection to the people of Scadrial and wants to help them Survive, so if he shows up in response to a major threat, and Hoid interferes with it, that would be a bit counterproductive.

Maybe the hatred flows more strongly in one direction than the other, (which their encounter in Secret History would sort of bear out,) and Hoid isn't trying to sabotage Kelsier at all, but simply to make Wax aware that the Survivor is still around, so he'll be able to accept it more easily when Kelsier shows up, and we'll end up with Team Ladrian teaming up with Kelsier (or Kelsier recruiting them into his new crew) to bring down Telsin and save the world from Trell?

Now that would be a story worth reading!

I've been thinking about this too lately, and I'm very curious to see how Brandon plays it.

Two of the bigger questions I think are the villain, and if that villain is (entirely) native to Scardrial.  And

Spoiler

what kind of a role, major, minor, or background, does Kel play?

After re-reading SoS recently, and seeing all the references to 'the lost metal' and assuming that is still the title of the 4 era 2 book, I have to assume Atium plays a major role.  It could be a bait and switch, Brandon having us think it's Atium only to be some other metal, but I feel like the twists and surprises will be elsewhere.  (This probably will play into the question of what Harmony is doing with that extra Ruin.)

Further, does era 2 book 4 set up era 3?  From what I remember, era 3 will not be too far into the future, so we could see an event(s) that is the cause of the major problems in the next set of books.  (Or see Marasi find a way to Duralumin Cadmium to propel all our era 2 hero's to era 3. :) )

And because Brandon, almost certainly at least one of our main good guys is gonna die.  Who? 

Spoiler

My money, as much as I hate to say it, is on Steris.  Though if someone is going to become a Mistborn I can see it being her as well.

And just to continue this rambling mess of thoughts, that last line brings up another point.  We've never actually seen on screen someone get spiked.  I think we see it in the last of era 2.  (Also could be a reason Atium plays a big role.)

Edited by What's a Seawolf?
Added spoiler tags

1 hour ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

(Or see Marasi find a way to Duralumin Cadmium to propel all our era 2 hero's to era 3. :) )

That would be all sorts of fun.  But I don't see any good reason 1) why she would want to do that or 2) how she would be able to, as it would require 2 different metals.

2 hours ago, Mason Wheeler said:

That would be all sorts of fun.  But I don't see any good reason 1) why she would want to do that or 2) how she would be able to, as it would require 2 different metals.

2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Even without medallions there are still Nicorbursts.

I was thinking medallions, not sure what Nicrobursts are actually.  Or if Duralumin would do anything significant to Cadmium.  As for reasoning, I figure if there's  some major calamity or threat to Scardrial and Harmony tells them about something working it's way towards the planet, or something that just needs to time to figure out/fight, Marasi would be down for it.  Especially if Harmony flat out asked for the help.

Don't get me wrong, it's the longest of long shots, but who knows, we have a lot of older characters still kicking around.

19 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

I was thinking medallions, not sure what Nicrobursts are actually.

You know how a Leecher burning chromium can do the same thing to another person that a person burning aluminum can do to himself?  A Nicroburst burning nicrosil is the alloy version of this, the external analogue to duralumin.

23 hours ago, Mason Wheeler said:

Has anyone else noticed how the villain keeps moving closer to Wax with every passing book, and keeps trying to destroy Elendel?

The Alloy of Law introduced our characters, and the Set's plot.  The main antagonist was a person with a weak connection to Wax--a lawman that had worked with him in the past--who believed that Elendel was corrupt and wanted to bring it down.

Shadows of Self featured a villain with a much stronger connection to Wax: the villain turned out to be

Reveal hidden contents

his wife

though kind of under false pretenses, and she believed that Harmony was corrupt and wanted to bring him down, by fomenting chaos in Elendel.

The Bands of Mourning continues the trend.  The villain is Suit, a blood relative of Wax, who believes that their society is corrupt and is working to foment a civil war that will bring Ruin upon Elendel.

With the way that The Bands of Mourning ends, there's really only one way that W&W 4 can play out:

Hide contents

The villain is someone closer still, Wax's own sister, and she's working with Trell, believing society to be corrupt and using her influence to destroy all of civilization.

I didn't notice the fact that the curtains were getting closer to Wax! Nice catch on that! 

However,  idisagree with your conclusion.  Telsin has already betrayed wax. Instead.  The villian will be someone much, much closer. A betrayal that will end him.

Wayne.

:ph34r:

51 minutes ago, Doctor12 said:

I didn't notice the fact that the curtains were getting closer to Wax! Nice catch on that! 

However,  idisagree with your conclusion.  Telsin has already betrayed wax. Instead.  The villian will be someone much, much closer. A betrayal that will end him.

Wayne.

:ph34r:

...I don't think so. I'll bet 1,500 boxings on Telsin.

Wayne...is hilarious. Extremely. Having him be the villain would honestly suck. And...what connection to the Set would Wayne have? No connection that we know of. Heck, he SHOT one of the high ranking members IN THE FACE, despite his issues involving guns. Although said member did walk away completely fine afterwards, because F-Gold can heal shots to the face, limbs ripped off by an explosion...pretty much anything as long as there's enough Health in a Goldmind, as Miles showed about a million times in AoL.

Yeah...my money's on Telsin.

In case you couldn't tell, I wasn't being serious, sorry. I thought the emoji would make it obvious that i was just having a bit of fun. It's meant to be a joke, heh.

Edited by Doctor12

15 hours ago, Mason Wheeler said:

You know how a Leecher burning chromium can do the same thing to another person that a person burning aluminum can do to himself?  A Nicroburst burning nicrosil is the alloy version of this, the external analogue to duralumin.

Ooooo, interesting, thanks! 

16 hours ago, Mason Wheeler said:

My money's on Wayne.  We've had several indications that all that guilt he carries around with him makes him wish he could die.

Wayne would be my second choice probably, and is probably a better guess than Steris.  Would certainly hit readers the hardest (in most cases.)  Though another of my way out there theories to get these characters to other Era's is that Wayne somehow becomes a Kandra and starts Worldhopping with MeLaan.  Didn't she say something along the lines of Wayne being wasted as a human?

4 hours ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

Wayne would ... certainly hit readers the hardest (in most cases.)

Oh, definitely.  He's easily my favorite character in the cast.  But all those little foreshadowings about how all the guilt he's carrying around with him make life a misery that he'd like to be put out of are kind of hard to ignore.

My guess would be that he pulls some sort of heroic sacrifice, saving Wax and Steris even though his metalminds are tapped out.

20 hours ago, Mason Wheeler said:

My money's on Wayne.  We've had several indications that all that guilt he carries around with him makes him wish he could die.

I think he's going to die too. It's sad, though! He can't be a worldhopper if he's dead...

47 minutes ago, Mason Wheeler said:

Kelsier as the villain?  How do you figure?

I'm just thinking about Kelsier by personality.   Brandon has said before that in "another time" Kelsier would have been the villain due to his sociopathic tendencies (The WoB is something like that).  Knowing Brandon, that could have been foreshadowing. (or a red herring... either one).

5 hours ago, Lazarus52980 said:

My money is on Kelsier as the villain though.

No. It's gotta be Spook. He is the one originator who hasn't been confirmed dead. He's gonna show up somewhere, steal the atium, and rule the world.

And that's that.

(Seriously though, I think he will be in the book somewhere, if not the villain. I also think either Wax, Wayne, or Marasi will join the Set. Probably Marasi)

• Chaos locked this topic