Creating cold?

Mason Wheeler

Question

12 answers to this question

Well one of the side effects of the surges that Szeth and Kaladin were using did involve frost forming.  As far as I am aware it is unclear why that was happening, but if it is related to one of the windrunning surges, then they might be able to do it at will if they tried.

I also wouldn't bet against some form of fabrial nor would I bet against an Aon, but I don't know that we have specifically seen either one having that effect.

A Diminishing Heat Fabrial is the main candidate. We saw the opposite a Fabrial to generate Heat and in the Ars Arcanum it's stated that those kind of Fabrial are quite the same rules.

Also the AonDor (like @Dunkum said) has quite an Infinite wide of use. Maybe you can't obtain this effect directly (I don't remember an Aon on the temperature) but we wit and physicis you may obtain the effect I presume

8 hours ago, Dunkum said:

Well one of the side effects of the surges that Szeth and Kaladin were using did involve frost forming.  As far as I am aware it is unclear why that was happening, but if it is related to one of the windrunning surges, then they might be able to do it at will if they tried.

I think it has to do with rapid expulsion of Stormlight. That's when the frost forms.

I believe that the mist and moisture which cover Shardblades upon summoning is a similar phenomenon.

It almost sounds like you are describing stormlight as a "gas" as far as how it functions in the Joule-Thomson effect...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule–Thomson_effect

That's fascinating.  I wonder if that is what Brandon is doing... What other implications could we infer if we consider how stormlight acts if we think of it as a gas rather than as a form of light?  It DOES seem to behave as a gas with regard to being breathed out and "leaking" out of gems. 

That said, I can't think of a reason the gems would absorb the stormlight/gas so readily.  Can anyone help me with the potential physics of that?

10 hours ago, Dunkum said:

I also wouldn't bet against some form of fabrial nor would I bet against an Aon, but I don't know that we have specifically seen either one having that effect.

Don't forget when kaladin spoke "I will protect even those I hate so long as it is right" a glyph formed from frost behind him.

8 hours ago, RYANHOME said:

Don't forget when kaladin spoke "I will protect even those I hate so long as it is right" a glyph formed from frost behind him.

that was the main event I was thinking of when I said it, but I was looking for a more general way to phrase it that included the other times it happens too. 

Despite having just finished a reread a couple weeks ago, I don't remember if we ever see this effect with any of the other surgebinders (I think we do, but I'm not 100% sure)

24 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

that was the main event I was thinking of when I said it, but I was looking for a more general way to phrase it that included the other times it happens too. 

Despite having just finished a reread a couple weeks ago, I don't remember if we ever see this effect with any of the other surgebinders (I think we do, but I'm not 100% sure)

Szeth's clothing froze on several occasions. One of the examples is IIRC the Prologue.

9 hours ago, Lazarus52980 said:

That said, I can't think of a reason the gems would absorb the stormlight/gas so readily.  Can anyone help me with the potential physics of that?

Because Stormlight is Investiture, and Investiture can act like matter in some ways and act like magic in others.  In this case, something about the cut of the gem allows it to absorb Stormlight. 

5 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

yea, I mentioned him in my original comment.  by other surgebinders, I mean more like Shallan or Lift

Well, we have never seen a Surgebinder use as much Stormlight as Kaladin and Szeth. Lift is restricted by her metabolism, while Shallan never needs to use such excessive amounts of Stormlight. Or rather it's never as rapid, as Lightweaving feeds steadily on Stormlight and Soulcasting was used rarely and we don't even know how Stormlight works in Cognitive Realm.

Well, Stormlight is the gaseous form of Investiture on Roshar (like the mists on Scadrial.) The pools are the liquid and we have yet to see the solid (or, at least, have it identified as such.)

With regard to cold - cold is actually the absence of heat, so the real question is why use of Stormlight appears to draw heat away from an area? Heat is a form of energy, so is it being used as a fuel of some sort? If we can figure out what is happening to the heat then we will know what is causing the cold...

An Aon that manipulates heat should be able to cause cold by removing heat from an area. That would be my guess anyway...

10 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Well, Stormlight is the gaseous form of Investiture on Roshar (like the mists on Scadrial.) The pools are the liquid and we have yet to see the solid (or, at least, have it identified as such.)

Stormlight is energy. It doesn't have a physical presence, any more than breath does. On Roshar, the movement and changing of spren in a major way possibly has a side effect of diminishing heat in the origin of the effect. So when a shardblade is summoned, the dead spren is moving to the physical realm from the cognitive or when Kaladin or Szeth last they're manipulating gravity spren.